Menu

Phi Sigma Theta - worthwhile?

Kimm in WA

My son in college received an invitation for this national honor society. He attends a competitive college and I'm wondering if it would be a feather in his cap, for his resume, if he were a member since it shows he met a certain GPA level at this college.

Thanks for any info.

Kimm in WA

I know nothing about PST.

That said, my kids' policy was to join every honors society they were invited to join. Once they join, they can list it on their resume for grad school and the first job or two.

I know that folks often continue listing Phi Beta Kappa forever; my kids are not planning on listing their lesser-known subject-related honor society affiliations for more than a few years.

That said, my kids' policy was to join every honors society they were invited to join. Once they join, they can list it on their resume for grad school and the first job or two.

I think it depends as to joining every group that offers. If inclusion on your resume really says, "I'm a sucker," then that would be an unwise decision.

Agreed. Joining any and all honors societies would be a sign of a sucker. I guess it never occured to me that at the collegiate level there would be scam honors societies.

My kids were invited to join the "standard" honors societies for their majors, the ones that grad schools probably see on most applicants' applications. (Most majors seem to have an honors society -- but the colleges need to be approved by the societies before they can nominate their students as best I can tell. For example, my kids' school had an honors society for many majors, but it didn't in philosophy; a prof told my son that was because their department was too small.) Their profs were involved in the selection process for which students were invited. My kids' decision to join was a no-brainer.

If you are in serious doubt as to the worth of the honor society, I would suggest your student ask a prof or two. They should know if it is worthwhile or not. A worthwhile one will have a selection process (achievement in the major and/or GPA) and the profs will be aware of the selection criteria. If it doesn't have some selection criteria, it's not much of an honors society!