Menu

Looking for information on "new" vs "old" versions of Hooked on Phonics

I just finished posting on my blog about how OPGTR compares to the "old" version of HOP, K-2nd grade (yellow, orange, red, green, and blue,) including a chart that has every corresponding OPG lesson for each HOP lesson.

But my information is outdated. I know there is a "new" version of HOP, and I was wondering how they compare? Has anyone bought/looked through and can tell me if they're the same with different packaging and labels, or are they significantly different? I know that the "new" version comes with DVDs. I'm looking more for what they are teaching at what level, and if the format is the same give-a-sound-then-the-words-that-use-it or if they're actually give the rules/reasons.

Even if you have only the new version, would you mind taking a few minutes to look at the post and see how it compares to what you're using?

Thank you in advance!

HI there- I have not compared the two programs side by side but we did the full k-2nd program and we are now doing master reader. If my memory serves me correctly, it only gives examples rather than rule explanations. It's been a while but I actually don't remember reading any rule explanations at all.

HI there- I have not compared the two programs side by side but we did the full k-2nd program and we are now doing master reader. If my memory serves me correctly, it only gives examples rather than rule explanations. It's been a while but I actually don't remember reading any rule explanations at all.

Do you know if that was the "old" or the "new" version?

Ok. I was able to get a free box set of the old HOP. Then recently I was able to get one box of the new HOP on clearance. I should make it clear I only have the first level book of the first grade edition, for the new series.

The new version is bright and visually appealing, but basically the same. I just compared the two first level first grade books. My daughter was on her way out to the second grade level, so we only put on the DVD twice. It was more as a distraction, so I could quiet down the two youngest. LOL. I think the DVD just shows the words.

I don't see any explanations like the difference between a blend or diagraph. It appears they both just teach the sound and then a word.

I was using Explode the code and then added HOP to the mix. I felt like the two programs were a great mix together. She is reading and knows the phonics " rules."

To answer you question, the new HOP appears to be the same program-excluding the DVD now used instead of a CD.

It's hard for me to find questions I can help on, so I hope this DOES help :)

Ok. I was able to get a free box set of the old HOP. Then recently I was able to get one box of the new HOP on clearance. I should make it clear I only have the first level book of the first grade edition, for the new series.

The new version is bright and visually appealing, but basically the same. I just compared the two first level first grade books. My daughter was on her way out to the second grade level, so we only put on the DVD twice. It was more as a distraction, so I could quiet down the two youngest. LOL. I think the DVD just shows the words.

I don't see any explanations like the difference between a blend or diagraph. It appears they both just teach the sound and then a word.

I was using Explode the code and then added HOP to the mix. I felt like the two programs were a great mix together. She is reading and knows the phonics " rules."

To answer you question, the new HOP appears to be the same program-excluding the DVD now used instead of a CD.

It's hard for me to find questions I can help on, so I hope this DOES help :)

YES, thank you, this was exactly what I was looking for!

Mine is the new version. The included DVD's for K were better than 1st or 2nd, K has a *lot* more fun cartoons/songs like you see on youtube, 1st and 2nd is more straight words with only minor animated introductions. We started very young though so a simplified phonics program worked well as I was looking to use demonstration versus explanation.