Menu

Favorite gluten free cookie recipe?

Just Kate

I am looking for a tried-and-true gluten free cookie recipe that I can make for my best friend's 10 year old dd. She was recently diagnosed with Celiacs and really misses homemade cookies (especially chocolate chip and sugar cookies). I don't have great stores around me, so I need a recipe that contains ingredients that I could easily find at Kroger. Thanks so much!

I make low-carb cookies. Right now, my favorite chocolate chip cookies are these. You should be able to find all the ingredients at a grocery store. Bob's Red Mill is usually carried at most stores. Maria's blog (where the recipe is from) is awesome!

* Exported from MasterCook *

"HEALTHIFIED" CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Cookies Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour

1/2 cup coconut flour

1 tsp aluminum free baking powder

1 cup coconut oil or butter

1 cup Just Like Sugar OR Just Like BROWN Sugar

1/2 cup erythritol (or Swerve)

2 tsp stevia glycerite

OPTION: add 1 egg (for cake-like cookie)

1 tsp Celtic sea salt

2 ChocoPerfection Bars (chopped)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, Just Like Brown Sugar, erythritol and stevia (add in egg if using). Cream for a few minutes until very fluffy. In a separate bowl mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth. Add in chocolate. Roll 2 TBS of dough into a ball in your hands (for uniform shape) onto a cookie sheet, then press down to they are about ¾ of an inch thick. Place cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until golden around the edges. Cool completely on the baking sheet before removing and enjoy! I keep mine in the freezer (for portion control!:) Makes 24 cookies.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per cookie)

Traditional Cookie = 180 calories 25 effective carbs

"Healthified" Cookie = 125 calories, 1.5 effective carbs

VARIATION: Smoosh my "healthified" ice cream in between! This could also be used as a pie crust. Change it up by adding almond extract and shredded coconut. They can also be made into bars; just be sure to cool completely before trying to serve.

Source:

"http://mariahealth.blogspot.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I used all Truvia for the sweetener. I used 3/4 cup to 1 cup total. I used butter and left out the egg. I used a Lindt 90% Cacao bar broken into small pieces instead of the ChocoPerfection Bars. The second time I made these, I used half butter and half coconut oil. They were even tastier! These cookies taste like regular chocolate chip cookies. They are awesome!

Here is one I will be trying:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Candice’s Low-Carb Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Cookies Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1/2 cup unsalted butter -- room temp

3/4 cup granulated splenda

4 large eggs

1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons coconut flour -- sifted

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/3 cup(33g) pecans or walnuts -- chopped

Chocolate chunks:

2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate -- finely chopped **

1 teaspoon shortening or butter

1/4 cup splenda

In small bowl add coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Cream butter & splenda until light and fluffy in mixer with paddle attachment.

Add 2 eggs while mixer is running. Add Vanilla.

Then add your coconut flour mixture.

And then your last two eggs. Mix till just combined on low, then turn mixer on MED/HIGH and beat till mixture is completely smooth.

By hand fold in chocolate chunks and nuts.

Refrigerate dough for at least an hour before using in an airtight container. This will make it easier to scoop and work with.

Preheat oven to 350F

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, or nonstick baking liner.

Scoop with a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop(#60), if you don’t have one, scoop 1 Tablespoon then roll in your hand to make ball.

Press down cookie with palm of your hand, just enough to flatten slightly.

Bake @ 350F for 12-15 minutes

Chocolate chunks

Line a small bowl with parchment, set a side.

Chop Chocolate, put in a heatproof bowl with shortening or butter. Microwave for 30 seconds. Take out stir. Put in for another 30 seconds. Take out stir again & add splenda. Microwave for another 20-30 seconds till all melted and smooth.

Pour chocolate mixture into prepared bowl and put in freezer for 10-15 mins.

Take out and chop in chunks.

** I use bakers unsweetened chocolate, but if you don’t mind A LITTLE added sugar, then you can use a 85% cocao chocolate(like Lindt) just be sure to adjust your nutritional information. The Lindt chocolate would definitely create a more smoother/sweeter cookie. Unsweetened has a more bitter taste. Unsweetened bakers chocolate has 9g carb per square (28g/1oz) – 4g of which is fiber and 0g sugar and something like the Lindt 85% cocao bar (3 squares/30g) has 6g carb per – 2g of which are fiber and 4g sugar. So it’s really up to you what you would rather use and if you don’t mind the sugar. I do so I use unsweetened.

Nutritional information for 1 cookie:

Energy 78 kcal

Carbohydrate total 3.14 g

Sugars, total 0.29 g

Fiber, total dietary 1.25 g

Protein 1.89 g

Total lipid (fat) 7.18 g

NET carb per cookie: 1.89 g

“I am SO glad I started experimenting with coconut flour. Love this stuff, SO many ideas I have now floating around in my head! Really I think the possibilities are endless.â€

“These cookies are SO good.. if I did not know they were low carb I would of never guessed! Hope you enjoy!â€

Source:

"http://yourlighterside.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Will brownies work? DD is celiac and we always get requests to bring them to get togethers. They are our favorite! Instead of making the flour I'd probably just use Bob's Red Mill baking mix.

Gluten-free Brown Rice Flour

Combine:

Brown Rice flour 2 cups

Potato starch 2/3 cup

Tapioca flour 1/3 cup

(I use Bob’s Red Mill ingredients-can get at Big Lots/Meijers/Krogers/WalMart)

Gluten-free Brownies

2/3 cup Brown Rice flour mix

½ tsp salt

½ tsp baking powder

½ tsp xanthan gum

2 ozs. unsweetened chocolate

4 ozs. semisweet chocolate

½ cup unsalted butter

1 ¼ cup sugar

2 tsp vanilla extract

3 large eggs

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Position rack in lower-middle oven. Line bottom and sides of 8-inch square baking pan with foil and grease with cooking spray.

2. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and xanthan gum in small bowl. Set aside.

3. Melt chocolate and butter in a heavy, medium-size saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, and continue to whisk until mixture is completely smooth and glossy. Add flour mixture and whisk until just incorporated.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan and place in center of oven. Bake about 45 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out with wet crumbs. Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Remove brownies from pan by lifting out foil, and cool completely on rack.

· double recipe and bake in a 9 x 13 pan

· I also add dark chocolate chunks if I have them

Land O' Lakes has a great recipe for gf chocolate chip cookies!

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/1470/chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies-gluten-free-recipe

I have also used Auntie's Mix, and just subbed equal amts for reg flour, and made the recipe on the nestle bag.

Here's a link to all ther gf recipes: http://www.landolakes.com/Search.aspx?query=gluten%20free

Here are some of my favorites. They are all naturally gluten free. Easy Peanut Butter Cookies

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 cup creamy peanut butter

1 cup sugar

36 to 42 milk chocolate kisses, unwrapped

Combine first 3 ingredients; shape into 3/4-inch balls. Freeze up to 6 months, if desired; thaw before baking. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Immediately press a chocolate kiss in center of each cookie; remove to wire racks to cool. Makes 3 dozen.

Meringue chocolate Chip Cookies

2 egg whites

1 tsp. vanilla

1/8 tsp. cream of tartar

dash salt

3/4 c. sugar

1 6 oz. package chocolate chips

Mix the first 4 ingredients with a beater until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in chocolate chips. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (or you can cut paper grocery bags and line them with those). Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

(If you haven't worked with meringues before, be sure to use a glass or metal bowl -- not plastic. I also make sure to use metal utensils rather than rubber.)

These meringues come out somewhat chewy in the middle, so they are nothing like the meringues you buy in the store.

Another fun and very eye-catching idea if you can have dairy is to make mini-cheesecakes and top them with chocolate chips or cherry pie filling. I just substitute gf graham crackers for the crust. You can find recipes for these all over the web.

These aren't really traitional cookies, but they are delcious and healthy, as they are sweetened only with fruit (and chocolate chips if you add them). The ingredients are just bananas, oatmeal, dates, oil (i use butter), cinnamon, and chocoate chips/nuts/or whatever else you decide to add. I make these on a regular basis. Here's the recipe: http://weelicious.com/2010/09/23/banana-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies/

I haven't tried them yet, but here is a grain-free Toll House recipe:

Wheat-Free Toll House Cookies (Gluten-Free)

(Makes 50 two-inch cookies)

Ingredients:

1 c plus 2 Tbsp. potato starch

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

10 Tbsp. butter, softened

6 Tbsp. sugar

6 Tbsp. firmly-packed dark brown sugar

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 egg

6-oz pkg. (1 c) semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1/2 c chopped nuts

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 F. In small bowl, combine potato starch, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, dark brown sugar and vanilla extract; beat until creamy. Beat in egg. Gradually add potato starch mixture. Stir in Nestlé Toll House semi-sweet chocolate morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 F. for 8 to 10 minutes.