Menu

s/o #1 Most Favorite * SCIENCE * Curriculum EVER!

JenniferB

Can I get some #1 Most Favorite Science Curriculum EVER replies with reasons why you totally love the program?

I am totally failing at science. I need something that teaches me to be a teacher of science, or that is a DVD or CD ROM with a teacher on it to teach science for me in lecture format and then with a hands on experiment or visual observation on video. Preferably the DVD or CD-ROM, because I don't have confidence that I can or will do it.

Anyone have anything like this that they totally LOVE, and that made them a science success?

I am really liking CPO this year. We are using Life Science, and we add in videos, the Skills & Practice sheets (they are really grreat) and do the experiments (usually). We also add in living books. I can't say I LOVE IT, but I can say I like it a lot.

For younger, we have settled, for now, on Evan Moor Daily Science with lots of notebooking pages and lapbooks.

So to answer your question, I guess, no. LOL. We haven't found our Holy Grail for science, but a mix of resources seems to be the best fit for us. WHat does help is to have a SPINE and then branch off from that. So pick a spine, even if it isn't perfect, and then add to it or delete from it as you choose. For example, younger enjoys Daily Science as it is independent and workbooky, but also loves crafts so we are doing a Physics lap book. Older is reading The Way Life Works with me, although a lot of it is over his head, and we often find Youtube videos that work very nicely with CPO and explain things in a more engaging fashion.

Good luck!

CPO? I looked on the abbreviation sticky and don't see that one.

I'm also LOLing my triple use of "totally." Can you tell I came from So. Cal.?

LOL. CPO is here: http://www.cposcience.com/home/Home/tabid/119/Default.aspx

I got everything used at a good price, and got all my science experiment stuff at homesciencetools.com for under 100 dollars.

I like Mr. Q science.

Edited to add. (Here is a old post I made about Mr. Q Science)

We use Mr. Q science basically as you stated.

Everyday my kids listen to a audio recording of a chapter (Recorded by my dh). Then we talk about the chapter over lunch. I pull in some related picture books from the library.

Here is a email I wrote to someone about how we do Science at our house:

I think it was you that asked me about how we do Science at our house. So here is my answer. :) (And if you remember who also I talked to about it that would be great)

The first book in the series is free. There is a parent guide with a schedule and project/experiments every week. (http://www.eequalsmcq.com/)

We just listen to the student text. My dh has made a audio recording of the chapters (chapter 24 so far) and we listen to them at lunch. Since each chapter is only about 5 minutes long that leaves a lot of lunch time. So when we are done listening we talk.

If we just listened to the chapter introducing food chains I'll remind them on the magic school bus book we read about food chains. Ask them if they want to reread it. Then I'll remind them of the poems we had listened to about food chains and pull out the poetry book we keep of poems I have written down. We will read the poems.

Or is we listened to the chapter abut grassland biomes, I'll talk about growing up in Winnipeg. How flat it was, the weather,... After lunch we might dig up some pictures of me as a child. And if they don't show off the grasslands - I don't care.

We just finished the chapter about the brain. So when at the library I picked up "Bill Nye the Science Guy - the Brain)

The real purpose for me right now is to get them use to having science conversations. To get us all use to the different terms. To also set up a direction of conversation for lunch. If I don 't do this I find lunch conversation can be do dull and boring that I do my best to get out of eating with them.

Yes. We also do science kid stuff: dig in the dirt, go to museums, go to a observatory, lay outside on a summers day and study the sky. I just find having this science to listen to every day helps me set the tone for science thinking.

Listening to chapters about certain topics helps peak my interest into finding out more. It exposes all of us to more stuff. A new way of talking scientifically. If you want the author of the curriculum has given me permission to give out a copy of the audio recordings.

If you want a copy of the audio PM me and I'll send you the first 16 chapters (4 units) if you use them and want more just PM me and I'll send you the rest.

I Love the Apologia Elementary science books. I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but they are a huge hit here. I have not found anythings for geology or che,istry/physics (I believe Apology is coming out with that one this spring). I also like RS4Kd just wish they cover more than 10 weeks at a time.

Science has always been the most neglected subject until last year. I am one of those people who don't like going around looking for my own resources/experiement items so Nancy Larson Science was my choice starting last year. We are actually learning science and loving it. I have to say although NL is much easier for my older dd but that wasn't my concern since there were so many basic things that she and I didn't know and I wanted her to not miss those knowledge. This is our 2nd year with NL and so far so good!

Julia

Miss P *adores* WP's Equine Science curriculum. Um, because she loves horses?

I like it because it is one of the only things she can do ENTIRELY INDEPENDENTLY!!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Ordering from WP was a major pain in the you know what, but it's a great curriculum

Miss P also really, really likes MP's Entomology program. It has readings from various vintage entomology texts, and a workbook with short answers (which she tolerates - it's the only workbook thing she does) and opportunities to sketch the insects. I think this is the thing she really likes about it.

We really enjoyed doing RS4K's Chemistry Level 1, in 3rd grade when we were afterschooling. I don't think it's meaty enough for middle school science, but it was great for about 3rd-4th grade level. An easy to read and understand text, fun activities that were easy to pull off in the kitchen. I do not like RS4K Biology though, and probably won't use any of their other stuff.

I wanted to love BFSU, but found it way too time consuming to prep for. The rest of our science has all been homegrown based on living books, science projects, and field work.

I'm hoping to start loving Story of Science in January, but it's too soon to say!

BFSU is pretty good. It does take a lot of prep and intimidates me most days. I admit we mostly just discuss things as they come up. My kids love science. We've had trouble finding secular programs that worked well and were enough in depth for my kids. And the textbooks are not much appreciated here. We're reading Planet in a Pebble right now and it's great for Earth Science.

I hate science. There I said it. I got older DD Science Fusion and it is still a flop. She hates the video lessons and I have no clue how to work the test part of it so I can't keep track of what she is learning. Did I mention I hate science??? I really need some help with this.

Another CPO fan here. We're using Earth Science this year in our co-op, and, wow, I really, really like it. I'm teaching the class, by the way, and there's always oodles of stuff to do. Why did I wait so long to try this? All those wasted years slogging through Apologia, etc.

For high school we liked Kinetic Physics.

We love apologia and while it is not a dvd program it is written to the student. But I was very very close to getting exploration education this year for physics, it looks so fun and I really wanted it but decided to go with the one that we were planning to stick with through high school.

Rainbow Science. So painless - DS does the reading and written work independently, then he and two friends do the labs together.

We've just started Oak Meadow Science 5, but I really like it so far for my creative DD.

RS4K Chemistry and Noeo Physics were hits here too.

We love BFSU! I don't find it takes long to prepare for. I think we might go a little slow with it though. But the slower pace works for us. We only do science 1 day a week. We do 1 lesson per month. Each lesson is broken into 4 - 6 parts. We do 1 or 2 parts per week. We completed the k-2nd grade book and started the 3rd -5th grade book last year. If we do 1 lesson per month (we do summer school), we will complete when ds9 finishes 5th grade. We will then start the 6th-8th grade book.

After we read a part of the lesson and do any demonstrations, my son will go to the computer and open his running list of things he learned or interesting facts and add more to it. So each month he has a fact sheet he created for the lesson. Every once in a while I might find worksheets that go along with the lesson. We also do nature study 1 day a week.

Science has always been the most neglected subject until last year. I am one of those people who don't like going around looking for my own resources/experiement items so Nancy Larson Science was my choice starting last year. We are actually learning science and loving it. I have to say although NL is much easier for my older dd but that wasn't my concern since there were so many basic things that she and I didn't know and I wanted her to not miss those knowledge. This is our 2nd year with NL and so far so good!

Julia

this is us too. WE LOVE Nancy Larson Science. We are now actuallly doing science, whereas before we weren't. I never had the equipment on hand, and so I kept having to put it off...but now that never happens.

Yes, there are times where it is too easy for my older kids...but like I quoted here....there is such good vocabulary and other basic science knowlege that is being learned, I am not one bit worried. I figure, if my child(ren) becomes more interested in science later, we can dig deeper...NL gives the kids a VERY good overview of all of the Sciences.

I plan to follow it all the way until the end. We are doing NL3 now..and i know she has 4 out and is now working on 5...so she is still ahead of me...which is great.

I can share more if you would like.

• 2 months later...

Rainbow Science. So painless - DS does the reading and written work independently, then he and two friends do the labs together.

We've just started Oak Meadow Science 5, but I really like it so far for my creative DD.

RS4K Chemistry and Noeo Physics were hits here too.

It's a shame (for me) that Rainbow isn't secular. Sigh.

Whew! When I saw this thread come back up, I had to check what I wrote to see if I would have to eat my words . . . that seems to be happening a lot lately . . . :glare:

But, no - we are a ways in to SOS Aristotle, and really enjoying it. We are taking a short break to study Botany (McHenry) and do a science fair project- the effect of graywater on plants - but then will finish up Aristotle by the end of this year.

Evan Moor Daily Science. Google has large samples. Book 1 is here. Make sure to read the TM and focus on the "Big Idea". The weekly fun topics are illustrations not the meat of the program. Despite looking like a cheesy workbook this is a rock solid program that is an awfully lot like BFSU. We used book 1 as a spine and notebooked, instead of completing the workbook pages.

I am head over heels is love with the ORIGINAL What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series (NOT the new revised series), and science is integrated into the full curriculum, so I use that now. I'm more than happy with it.

As a stand alone program, I think Evan-Moor is better, though.

We've used K12's science curriculum for 4th and now 5th grade and I like it. I ordered the independent course this year (it is expensive) but all the materials are provided. The topics are interesting, the experiments are engaging, manageable and usually successful and the assessments help keep us focused and on track.

We started off this year doing Apologia's bug and bird study with the Notebooking but I thought it was boring and the experiments were not that interesting. We do have more birds in our year now, though.

Oh no! I thought YOU were going to tell me the best science curriculum ever! LOL! I'm a biochemical engineer and ds is in earth science. I am not thrilled with anything I've tried, but my favorite year so far was CPO life science. Especially since we added in supplementary activities! I think it was the best though because with a good microscope and some supplies around the house, you can do a ton of things to demonstrate biology concepts rather than reading about them or lecturing. We did Prentice Hall for Physics too and that was OK. As far as homeschool curriculum, I like RS4K OK for chemistry but I add in the American Chemical Society's free curriculum as well. I like BFSU but I find it awkward to use as a supplement. The problem is IMO that any good science curriculum requires a decent about of teacher prep time (unless I guess you buy some horribly expensive curriculum with all the supplies and instructions) and that holds us back.

The Nancy Larson Science looks extremely promising for us. I despise trying to gather experiment materials. Thank you!

this is the VERY reason I started looking at Nancy Larson. It was really hard for me to gather materials and thus I kept having to table Science....and it never got done....but now it's easy. Yes, it's spendy, but it is worth every penny in my opinion. My kids love it...and that is huge to me as well. .

the vocab that they are learning is great, as well as being expoed to a huge variety of concepts.

We just finshed a unit where they were using the Periodic table. I don't remember even seeing that until at least High School.

My daughter is at the upper range of the age span and my youngest is at the bottom of the span...and I have one right in the middle...so it's really about as perfect for our family as I can find.

If yo have any more questions concerning this program, I would be more than happy to try and answer them.

for eled we do a lot of reading, watching and nature studies, but it's all informal. I'm rather experiment challenged so I stay away from those.

Magic School Bus everything. Terrific!

Moody Science videos- rather pedantic but my kids love the science. Documentaries, etc.

Bio and Chem 101 (billed for h.s. but definitly worth watching much younger).

National Geo for Kids/ Science News laying around, Ranger Rick

NOAA and NASA web-sites.

Here and here some links from the Virutal Curr Fair that might give you more ideas, too.

Hands down favorite curriculum is Ellen McHenry. Love it. Ridiculously sad that we'll be finishing up what she has to offer next year. Can't wait to use it again with my younger children in a few years!

Some great books (that aren't curriculum): The Way We Work, The Elements, What's _____ All About (physics, biology, etc)?

Oh no! I thought YOU were going to tell me the best science curriculum ever! LOL! I'm a biochemical engineer and ds is in earth science. I am not thrilled with anything I've tried, but my favorite year so far was CPO life science. Especially since we added in supplementary activities! I think it was the best though because with a good microscope and some supplies around the house, you can do a ton of things to demonstrate biology concepts rather than reading about them or lecturing. We did Prentice Hall for Physics too and that was OK. As far as homeschool curriculum, I like RS4K OK for chemistry but I add in the American Chemical Society's free curriculum as well. I like BFSU but I find it awkward to use as a supplement. The problem is IMO that any good science curriculum requires a decent about of teacher prep time (unless I guess you buy some horribly expensive curriculum with all the supplies and instructions) and that holds us back.

Check out this site:

http://ellenjmchenry.com/

Check out her free stuff - but don't forget about her "store" at the top bar; that is where her actual curricula is.

I have had the hardest time getting science done as well. The only thing science related that I absolutely LOVE is the WTM science rotation. Not necessarily the recommended books, but the *plan* of following a science topic for 4 rotating years is what I love. After I wrapped my mind around that idea , it became easier to find materials. The jumping around and following interests etc just meant nothing was really getting done. Too many materials to juggle and find. The WTM science rotation gives me a framework so I can zero in and focus on one thing and not worry over much about all those science rabbit trails that lead us astray.

I have yet to find a science curriculum that I would say I absolutely love. I've used ScienceWorks, Daily Science,RS4K, VanCleave books, Usbourne experiments and lots of living books and documentaries, public school textbooks, Teacher Created unit studies, a GSA lapbook, nature study with the Handbook, readings from Core Knowledge books etc

I've been able to see and hold MPH (looks pretty good) and GEMS (seemed overwhelming) and ES (not for me) and BFSU (looks really good) in my hands and have had experience at a co op with Apologia (really not for me).

I'm going to try RSO Life next year. I'm excited to try it.

Honestly the only science related book that I would say I absolutely really love is The Private Eye. We really love those loupes and it is really fun and a great addition to any science choice/method a person makes.

As far as finding THE science curriculum from one publisher/author that I can love and use and be done with it? I doubt it's out there.

We are doing A Reason For Science and we also started doing the Young Scientist Club membership. Neither of them are DVD, but extremely easy to teach. My kids beg to do the lessons. We buy the kit that has most all the supplies needed to do the projects. There is usually a lesson followed by a project and then a section about what they learned from the project. They have to fill in the sections about what they learned and I have them make sure they answer those in complete sentences and we go over them. This has helped with their writing skills as well as science.

The Young Scientist Club membership is really fun too. They get their kits in the mail and they are so excited to get them. I have 2 kids and I order 1 kit for the two of them to share and it works well.

I really like Mr. Q for early grammar and his advanced chem looks good as well (I'm attempting it next year with an advanced 6th grader). Ellen McHenry I love as well.

I wish BFSU wasn't integrated because I really like the 4 year science cycle. I'm a "let's focus on ONE thing at a time, do it, get it done, and move on" type of girl ;)

We watch a lot of Bill Nye the Science Guy DVDs for our science. There's been one that corresponds with just about every subject we've studied this year. Sometimes, I'll throw in a Magic School Bus or Sid the Science Kid too (DD is five, going on six). There's also a science DVD series by Schlessinger Media. We're watching one of theirs on animal classification this coming week. We mostly use the DVDs as an introduction to the subject we're studying. When there's more one than available on the same subject, I use one as a conclusion too. Then, we read as many good library books on a topic as we can find and proceed with our curriculum and labs. It works for us.

I really like Mr. Q for early grammar and his advanced chem looks good as well (I'm attempting it next year with an advanced 6th grader). Ellen McHenry I love as well.

I wish BFSU wasn't integrated because I really like the 4 year science cycle. I'm a "let's focus on ONE thing at a time, do it, get it done, and move on" type of girl ;)

I'm looking at his advanced chem as well. Any word yet on when his other advanced books will be out?

I'm looking at his advanced chem as well. Any word yet on when his other advanced books will be out?

It did not indicate when it would be out, but an email I received in the last couple days indicated that he was working on advanced anatomy and physiology now that th sale is over. He is ahead of us, so I am not too worried. DS wants to study chemistry next year and I am thinking I will do the original Chemistry that he puts out as this will be his first time through.

It did not indicate when it would be out, but an email I received in the last couple days indicated that he was working on advanced anatomy and physiology now that th sale is over. He is ahead of us, so I am not too worried. DS wants to study chemistry next year and I am thinking I will do the original Chemistry that he puts out as this will be his first time through.

Advanced Anatomy would seriously rock my socks; there aren't any middle school anatomy curriculums on the market (that are secular) that are homeschool friendly.

I bought it last week :)

Don't know when we're going to fit it in...

but I have to have it :p

Me either. We are already "behind" in CPO life science because we are taking time to read Phineas Gage...and Story of Science....But seriously, we need to inject more FUN into our science curriculum.