Menu

Need book recs for boy who loved The Hobbit

Beth in IN

Eragon by Christopher Paolini is very similar, more dragons, but adventure with dwarves and elves, etc. First in a series of 4 books.

Once he has taken that step, then maybe Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey. This one is all about dragons, no dwarves, elves, etc. It is a slightly lower reading level than Eragon (and lower than the Hobbit), but still good and there are a number of books, and then a number of overlapping related books in the adult series.

I don't think they were that much more difficult than The Hobbit. My 8 year old is advanced in reading, but he's still 8, and he did fine with them. We read the books (each on our own), then we watched the movies and compared. That was fun. :D

Oh, that is very encouraging to hear! I assume you didn't feel the subject matter too mature either.

My 9 yo loved the Hobbit and insisted on reading LOTR aftewards. I balked a bit, feeling he was too young, it was too dark, etc. But theology major hubby who has read the series 4-5 times said it was fine so ds (now 10) is on book 3 and loving it:)

Well, I went ahead and downloaded the books to iPad and he started them tonight. Hoping it goes well and if not, I've got some other great suggestions. :)

Has he gone thru Narnia?

The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper is rich in language and just GREAT. It's set in England (modern-day). SWB recommends it as one of her favorite series. :001_smile:

Dark is Rising series--first book, Under Sea, Over Stone.

:iagree: :iagree:

The Dark Is Rising books are excellent!

Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain are also good.

If he hasn't read throught the Chronicles of Narnia, I would definitely give him those. I second the recommendation of the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. Personally, I think the Lord of the Rings is too advanced for that age unless they are reading well above grade level. I read LOTR when I was about 10 and really had to slog through them. I almost didn't re-read them when I was a teen because I remembered them being soooooo long. If I hadn't. I would have missed out coming to truly know and appreciate the works at a more mature level. It was a close shave! You know your son best, though, and others have different experiences.

Also, my son enjoyed reading some Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Germanic mythology after The Hobbit to explore some of the creative roots of Tolkien. We enjoyed different versions of Beowulf and Norse mythology collections.

Has he gone thru Narnia? The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper is rich in language and just GREAT. It's set in England (modern-day). SWB recommends it as one of her favorite series. :001_smile: Dark is Rising series--first book, Under Sea, Over Stone.
If he hasn't read throught the Chronicles of Narnia, I would definitely give him those. I second the recommendation of the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.

All of these are great suggestions. DD loved them, especially the Dark is Rising series!