Menu

Pics of the mare I'm probably buying :)

Live2Ride

It decided to drizzle/lightly rain all day today, but i went ahead and headed over to see the mare I'm looking at for DH and DD.

Spent some time handling her, picking up feet, that sort of thing. Then rode her a bit after the owner rode her. She went through a ditch, a marshy spot, around some obstacles, a bird flew up in front, she picked up speed when I clucked to her and she stopped when I asked. She's got a nice little handle on her. She was trained as a cow horse so she'll toss that head a little when you swing anything up on the right, but that's from years of moving away from the rope...she doesn't even flinch on the left. She is not real affectionate, but I think she'll warm up. She's just been rode, fed and put away like alot of ranch horses are and they aren't known to be 'snuggly' lol.

We're going back on Friday or Saturday to let dd ride her depending on the weather.

This is her after the ride wet from the rain. I was soaked too. We rode talked for over an hour about her. The fella even called a mutual friend to check up on me to see how I treated my horses, lol. I thought that was actually sweet; he wants to make sure she goes to a good home. He was kind of worried to tell me, but I told him I had nothing to hide and I was glad he cared about the mare like that.

post-32706-0-59626400-1354675377_thumb.jpgpost-32706-0-07357300-1354675440_thumb.jpg

Guest inoubliable

I scrolled down *just* enough to catch a glimpse of your post. And I could swear that it said "Pics of the man I'm probably buying". Uncontrollable giggling here. I'm kinda liking this new cough medicine.

Also, I don't know the first thing about horses, but she's beautiful. :)

Pretty! Glad you like her. I'm jealous of you! We had fun grooming horses today at our lesson. I was really loving on "my" horse there; I got her looking pretty and even braided part of her mane! I loved on her a lot. My teacher said the horse's former owner (she's only belonged to our friend/teacher for a few months) would be so happy to see us together. :001_wub: And I do like riding her; she listens to me really well, and her trot is smooth. And she has a buddy who she's extremely attached to (the horse ds rides); it's adorable.

Anyway, horses are so amazing, and I'm happy for you!

Wendi

I scrolled down *just* enough to catch a glimpse of your post. And I could swear that it said "Pics of the man I'm probably buying". Uncontrollable giggling here. I'm kinda liking this new cough medicine.

Also, I don't know the first thing about horses, but she's beautiful. :)

Thats funny! Sometimes I tease my DH that I'm gonna trade him in a Mens'RUs!

Thanks y'all! I like her thus far. I'm going to go see her again and make sure. We shall see. :)

She is really pretty!

Have you had a mare before? I caution you, as it has been my experience that mares aren't ever very snuggly and warm. In all of my experience with horses, I have found gelding to always be wanting attention and love, but mares are pretty standoffish. I am sure there are wonderful examples of great relationships with mares, but in my experience, mares just tolerate me. :). Sorry to be a downer, but wanted to give honest info.

She is really pretty!

Have you had a mare before? I caution you, as it has been my experience that mares aren't ever very snuggly and warm. In all of my experience with horses, I have found gelding to always be wanting attention and love, but mares are pretty standoffish. I am sure there are wonderful examples of great relationships with mares, but in my experience, mares just tolerate me. :). Sorry to be a downer, but wanted to give honest info.

Thanks for the advice, but yep, I've had them before :) My neighbors mare was just lovely, kept everyone in line on the farm. She died some years back...I loved riding her.

They can be pretty witchy (I worked at a boarding stables for almost a year, before I even bought my first horse), but this one just seemed ready to work and then be sent out. She did enjoy being rubbed down though :)

I'm going to look and ride again. But it looks like it may rain on and off all week! I won't be able to get the trailer out without tearing up the yard if that's the case...if we decide on her then we may just wait till the end of next week to get her...we'll see. Luckily she is about 6-7 miles down the road from us. If push comes to shove I can ride her home :)

What's her name?

Sally, but if she comes home, we may be changing it. I don't think she knows her name like my other two do. I also am looking at new pretty colors of halters just in case :tongue_smilie: . I only have one purple one and it probably won't fit her...we'll see.

Sounds nice. My new gelding sounds much like her personality wise. He was owned for a guy for 15 years and was just ridden and put away---not really "loved" on. He can be friendly but not super friendly but is gettng better and better with that.

I am all for the "not spooky" as I don't want a "fun" horse to ride.......just a nice safe steady, eddy type horse :-)