Menu

Sonlight Curriculum users a question for you.

CalicoKat

Yes.

Yes, it would be well beyond the edge of insanity.

:willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

Core B is Intro to World History for early elementary grades.

Core F is Eastern Hemisphere for middle grades.

Core 200 is History of God's Kingdom for high school.

How old are your 2 younger kids? Can you combine both of them into one core and modify a bit to make it work for both of them? Have your younger kids done American History yet? If not, you might be able to combine them by using Core D+E, the One-Year Condensed American History course.

Core 200 would have to be done separately. We never tried that core, so I don't know enough about it to advise you on how to make it independent.

Core 200 can be done independently for the most part. They have discussion questions that I would really encourage you to find a way to use. Since it is church history they do suggest the child find a spiritual mentor to discuss the questions with them. I did fine meeting with my child once a week for about 45 minutes. We did cut down some of the questions.

Core F is my favorite core of all times but there is a lot of research and some of the books bring in a variety of scenarios so I would not want my kid to read the read-alouds on there own. So if you did Core B and F you would be reading two sets of readalouds and history. I have done it before but it is fairly heavy. I love, love Sonlight so would probably do it myself but many would find it too much.

I would cut it down to two if possible. Core 200 is independent but I have been doing the reading too. It is great stuff but time consuming.

I would do less and really enjoy it if at all possible. Part of the fun of SL is the cuddle time and everybody enjoying the great books together.IMO

We're wrapping up a two year trot through Am. History. If we were staying with MFW we'd be back in the Ancient time period part of the 4-year cycle.

I c o u l d team up my delayed 7th, 5th and 3rd grader in one Core. My 1st grader won't be able to join them.

I wonder if this isn't why folks send their high schoolers back to ps.....can't fit them in with the rest of the crew any more. She's able to work independently with weekly check-ins with me. Hate to just throw her in, so to speak.

Cuddle time. . . . . that doesn't happen around here with my energetic can't sit still kiddos. No one can sit still that long. No dreams there about it happening too. Especially for my one son with body tic's. He's always twirling, kicking, rolling, jumping, . . . . . constantly.

A Sonlight advisor made the original recommendation and said that it'd be doable. It just didn't sound right! Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I'll keep playing around with things and see what I come up with.

Sigh I just can't see how to make Sonlight work for my family. I'm bummed.

1. I don't want to do a 3rd year of Am. History.

2. We're at the end of another sweep through history with everyone studying Ancients again at their grade level.

If combine the older two, SL is recommending Core 100 - Am. History

There's no good Core for combining my middle three + it would still leave me with additional for my 1st grader. Essentially 3 core hell.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I've enjoyed combining Mystery of History with the Sonlight readers from their World History cores. I do a reading and activity (mapping, quizzes,etc.) from MOH every day so it is quite a bit faster than they schedule. Then I read the readaloud from Sonlight and my daughter reads her reader all according to Sonlight schedule. They don't alway coincide but we do a timeline and she seems to connect all the dots. Perhaps if you bring in readers for the different ages and bring them all together for MOH it might work without you rescheduling everything and with you enjoying the wonderful Sonlight readers.

We're wrapping up a two year trot through Am. History. If we were staying with MFW we'd be back in the Ancient time period part of the 4-year cycle.

I c o u l d team up my delayed 7th, 5th and 3rd grader in one Core. My 1st grader won't be able to join them.

I wonder if this isn't why folks send their high schoolers back to ps.....can't fit them in with the rest of the crew any more. She's able to work independently with weekly check-ins with me. Hate to just throw her in, so to speak.

Cuddle time. . . . . that doesn't happen around here with my energetic can't sit still kiddos. No one can sit still that long. No dreams there about it happening too. Especially for my one son with body tic's. He's always twirling, kicking, rolling, jumping, . . . . . constantly.

A Sonlight advisor made the original recommendation and said that it'd be doable. It just didn't sound right! Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I'll keep playing around with things and see what I come up with.

If I were you I would put your 1st and 3rd Graders in B and then in C afterwards and get the first grade readers for one and the third grade readers for the other. My dd8 is in third right now and I am doing B with her this year and C next.

For your 5th and 7th graders I would combine them in Core F. ESPECIALLY since you are saying that your 7th Grader is delayed. If you wanted them to do World History like your youngest I would combine those two in Cores G and Core H for the next two years but not Core 200. Core 200 is a highschool level course.

What most Sonlight users do is keep their kids in the upper level of the recommendations. For example Core F is recommended for Ages 10-13 / Grades 5-8. That would be a perfect fit for your older two.

But Core 200 is for Ages 12-16/ Grades 7-11 I would not put a delayed learner into that Core. Most students won't take that core until 9th or 10th grade.

I would not start with Core 100 if you just did American History. SL is like WTM in that it cycles through history. this is what your kids would look like

1&3 B Intro to world 1

2&4 C Intro to world 2

3&5 D Intro to american 1

4&6 E Intro to american 2

5&7 F Easter hemisphere (prepares them for next level work load) THIS IS WHERE YOUR OLDER TWO WOULD START

6&8 G Indepth World 1

7&9 H Indepth World 2

8&10 100 American Indepth

9&11 200 History of Gods Kingdom (we are skipping this one because we are not christian)/300 20th Century world History (I would choose this path)

10&12 300/400 Civics /American Government (again I would use the second option

11 400 / 530 British Lit is a college prep course

12 530 /I would suggest American History at the Local CC to fulfil Requirements for graduation if your state requires it.

If I were you I would put your 1st and 3rd Graders in B and then in C afterwards and get the first grade readers for one and the third grade readers for the other. My dd8 is in third right now and I am doing B with her this year and C next.

For your 5th and 7th graders I would combine them in Core F. ESPECIALLY since you are saying that your 7th Grader is delayed. If you wanted them to do World History like your youngest I would combine those two in Cores G and Core H for the next two years but not Core 200. Core 200 is a highschool level course.

What most Sonlight users do is keep their kids in the upper level of the recommendations. For example Core F is recommended for Ages 10-13 / Grades 5-8. That would be a perfect fit for your older two.

But Core 200 is for Ages 12-16/ Grades 7-11 I would not put a delayed learner into that Core. Most students won't take that core until 9th or 10th grade.

I would not start with Core 100 if you just did American History. SL is like WTM in that it cycles through history. this is what your kids would look like

1&3 B Intro to world 1

2&4 C Intro to world 2

3&5 D Intro to american 1

4&6 E Intro to american 2

5&7 F Easter hemisphere (prepares them for next level work load) THIS IS WHERE YOUR OLDER TWO WOULD START

6&8 G Indepth World 1

7&9 H Indepth World 2

8&10 100 American Indepth

9&11 200 History of Gods Kingdom (we are skipping this one because we are not christian)/300 20th Century world History (I would choose this path)

10&12 300/400 Civics /American Government (again I would use the second option

11 400 / 530 British Lit is a college prep course

12 530 /I would suggest American History at the Local CC to fulfil Requirements for graduation if your state requires it.

This is exactly what I'd do. My kids aren't as old as your oldest, but I wouldn't do Core 200 with any child younger than high school. By putting the 3rd & 1st graders into Core B and the 5th & 7th graders into Core F, they would all be studying new material - world history and Eastern hemisphere.