Menu

Help with Reading Comprehension

I may have posted about this before, but it could have been elsewhere. I have always considered my ds (2nd) to be a good reader because he learned to read early and he reads aloud decently. He is having an issue with comprehension, though. I guess I didn't notice it at first, because initially I had him reading books with facts. (i.e. a book on rocks) We'd do a narration where I'd say, tell me something you learned and he would and we'd call it a day. Now that we're moving more to literature, I'm noticing issues. He'll still pull facts from the story, but he's not grasping storylines and he pulls facts that he wants. So, more than often than not, if I ask him a specific question about the story he just read, he doesn't know. If I say tell me something you just read, he'll tell me whatever interested him. Is this normal and something they outgrow? Or do I need to specifically do something to help him? Does this mean that he's reading books over his level? I just feel like we're both getting really frustrated and it doesn't feel like we're doing this right.

Thanks for any help!

ETA: This is for his quiet reading only, not what we read aloud together. His comprehension is much better when either of us is reading aloud.

I have learned to stop mine and ask questions more often, to ask what happened first, then what, and then what, what happened in the end? Or more specific questions, "Why was the red dog mean in the beginning?", "What made him become more friendly?" Questions that seem vague to the kids as in, " What did you read about?" just make them look like deer in the head lights. Sometimes they need to be guided. I will also often let them know the questions before they read, to guide them in what I am looking for, or what I want them to notice.

I think this is very common for little ones, and take some time to develop.

I agree with StartingOver. Just ask comprehension questions more often. Make it more personal. Such as stories or things that they have experienced to go along with whatever you are reading about. If they make connections with their own life sometimes that helps too. :)

I want to clarify that this is his quiet reading, not read aloud. So, are you guys saying to stop him more often when he is reading? (So, basically it's not really an independent thing?)

I want to clarify that this is his quiet reading, not read aloud. So, are you guys saying to stop him more often when he is reading? (So, basically it's not really an independent thing?)

If he isn't comprehending well, I would have him read aloud, or read ahead of him to decide what questions I would ask and stop him every few pages, or every page as needed. I have mine read aloud until I am satisfied with the fluency and comprehension level. Then still have them read aloud on occasion to check fluency and comprehension.

My son has taken to summarizing each page or few pages, so that he can get the major points easier, but he is reading chapter books and capable of this. Some children aren't, maybe he can narrate to you.

As SWB says, nibble it to death.