Menu

A Chocolate Advent Calendar that tastes good?

skimerinkydo

On a whim I bought 99cent chocolate advent calendars for my kids. Since they were at Trader Joes I figured they should be decent chocolate. The kids were excited and anticipating the fun and yummy chocolates. Well... the chocolate is awful. Seriously. Dh tasted one of them this morning, spit it out and told me not to let the children eat any of it. They taste like pastic or ... something. Not chocolate. The kids are old enough that it isn't the major tragic dissapointment it would have been when they were younger but they are still dissapointed.

So where can you get chocolate christmas calendars that are good?

We have a house similar to this. That way I can pick out the chocolates for them. The little rooms are big enough for lots of chocolates. Each of ours has one candy each for each day with more on day 24. I have a tree nut allergy kid, so I need to be able to pick safe ones for him.

FWIW, I didn't spend nearly as much on mine. I got it over 8 years ago from Costco for maybe $40.

We love it!

I love the beer can advent calendar and could actually imagine this with a variety of soda pops inside. During NaNoWriMo I was giving my kids little treats every few thousand words and root beer was a big hit.

Op, Trader Joe's is great at returns, even if you don't have the item with you. Even though it's just a few dollars it will at least let them know the quality was bad. One time I had an issue with sparkling juice and based on the problem they pulled it off the shelf.

Well, this isn't helpful unless you are at Epcot in Walt Disney World, but Germany has great chocolate advent calendars for $5 or $6. Typically, I get those for my kids if we are ever there during the year. This year, even though we were in Epcot, we never got to Germany. I bought some Vermont Christmas Company ones at Hobby Lobby. My kids said they aren't too bad, but not nearly as good as the Disney ones.

We will take the Trader Joes back when we are in town next week. I searched Pintrest for some advent calendar ideas and found and idea to use paper bags or envelopes cliped to a swag of string. So Last night I pulled out some regular old plain envelopes and the kids numbered and decorated them. Today I will fill them with whatever little small candies I find in my Christmas closet.