Menu

Latin-English dictionary? Derivatives book?

I need some recommendations for good Latin-English dictionaries. My dd wants to use a lot of vocabulary that is not in her curriculum, and she is coming up with words I don't remember (or never learned.) :confused: I have a cheap paperback Latin dictionary, but the writing is miniscule and it doesn't have enough words.

I also need a comprehensive resource for finding more derivatives. I am teaching junior high Latin this year at co-op, and I want to really focus on English vocabulary.

TIA!!! :bigear:

For a dictionary we have been using Cassell's Latin Dictionary.

For derivatives, we use two things. First, we use something called the Latin-English Derivative Dictionary by Rudolph F. Schaeffer, PhD, edited by W.L. Carr. We purchased this for about $7 from the American Classical League:

http://www.aclclassics.org/

http://www.aclclassics.org/tmrc/catalog.asp?parent=44&category=1&c=

This pamphlet is not perfect, but is a nice resouce. Sometimes it puts a huge number of derivatives after a word (eg, capio) when some might be more specifically placed under other words. But it is a good starting point.

Secondly, we check derivatives (and see if something is one) in the American Heritage Dictionary, which seems to do a pretty good job of that.

By the way, if you have not checked out the American Classical League site and listing of materials, you might enjoy doing so. They have a very wide selection of titles in Latin, and other supplementary materials that I think would be great once you get to the JH/HS level.

Best wishes,

Lydia

I need some recommendations for good Latin-English dictionaries. My dd wants to use a lot of vocabulary that is not in her curriculum, and she is coming up with words I don't remember (or never learned.) :confused: I have a cheap paperback Latin dictionary, but the writing is miniscule and it doesn't have enough words.

The best Latin-English/English-Latin dictionary is John Traupman's "New College Latin and English Dictionary." Be sure to get the Revised 3rd edition, 2007. The 3rd edition is very different from the 1st.

The dictionary includes more than 70,000 words and phrases and it also includes Late Latin and Neo-Latin, a Classical and Ecclesiastical pronunication guide, verb charts, and grammar guide. You can use this for reading and translating classical and medieval Latin literature but you can also look up modern words as well.

There are two versions, but they have identical content. The Bantam books version that you can buy on Amazon is the mass market paperback version and it costs $5.99.

The other version is only available at the Amsco Publishing site, but if you want larger type that is easier on the eyes, this is the one to get. It is a trade paperback. It has the exact same content, but with a different cover and bigger type. http://www.amscopub.com/ It costs $14.

I also need a comprehensive resource for finding more derivatives. I am teaching junior high Latin this year at co-op, and I want to really focus on English vocabulary.

For derivatives, I really like William Dominik's "Words and Ideas" which presents word study, etymology and derivation in a thematic manner. Students learn derivatives in the context of classical topics -- mythology, medicine, politics, economics, philosophy, history, etc.

The best Latin-English/English-Latin dictionary is John Traupman's "New College Latin and English Dictionary." Be sure to get the Revised 3rd edition, 2007. The 3rd edition is very different from the 1st.

The dictionary includes more than 70,000 words and phrases and it also includes Late Latin and Neo-Latin, a Classical and Ecclesiastical pronunication guide, verb charts, and grammar guide. You can use this for reading and translating classical and medieval Latin literature but you can also look up modern words as well.

There are two versions, but they have identical content. The Bantam books version that you can buy on Amazon is the mass market paperback version and it costs $5.99.

The other version is only available at the Amsco Publishing site, but if you want larger type that is easier on the eyes, this is the one to get. It is a trade paperback. It has the exact same content, but with a different cover and bigger type. http://www.amscopub.com/ It costs $14.

I was at a bookstore yesterday and they had a ton of those dictionaries in stock for a local school. I thought it looked like a good one, but I figured I'd come here for a recommendation - looks like I should have picked it up! :001_smile: