Menu

I am so angry! (vent)

applethyme

I just got the mail and in it was a bill from the local hospital. I had surgery 18 months ago and they are finally getting around to sending me a bill for $700! When I called to see if this was an error I was told that my insurance had just finalized payment and this is the balance due??? (Not true. I saw the eob from my insurance and they billed right away then tried to bill again last month.) The billing lady kept trying to convince me to set up a payment plan today. Um... it took you 18 months to bill me and you want payment immediately? right before Christmas? No. Let me check my calender and see what bill I'm paying in 18 months and I'll get back with you.

I have the hospital sending me an itemized bill and am going to have to contact the insurance company (who are never helpful) to see what they really didn't pay. If I ever move from where I'm at it will be because of the health insurance and the local hospital.

I have my own insurance but am also covered on dh plan. Because of the double coverage somethings are covered completely and some have a little copay. I don't mind that they billed me but I do have a problem with the 18 months later. Had they billed in the same year the surgery was done then I could have used my flexable spending. I do have a problem with them waiting 18 months and expecting payment now.

Most insurance plans are on a 80/20 plan meaning that while the insurance pays 80%, you would still pay 20%. $700 doesn't sound unreasonable to me after surgery. I think you should call insurance or look at your EOB to see what you are responsible for.

This is true, but it is very confusing to be billed 18 months later! I had a similar situation with my ds's doctor...I knew I had not been billed all year for mutiple expensive visits...but when I finally got the bill it was unitemized and it was for over a year ago! I don't get the EOB (XH's insurance) so it is very hard to figure out. The amount didn't seem unreasonable, TBH, and when they contacted me within a week of getting the bill to offer me 30% discount if I paid right away I just paid it.

Then I got ANOTHER bill from about a year ago and they immediately offered me 50% discount to pay the balance. I don't like the way they are doing it AT ALL...if I had easy access to the EOBs I could feel better about it.

I have my own insurance but am also covered on dh plan. Because of the double coverage somethings are covered completely and some have a little copay. I don't mind that they billed me but I do have a problem with the 18 months later. Had they billed in the same year the surgery was done then I could have used my flexable spending. I do have a problem with them waiting 18 months and expecting payment now.

After you verify if you really owe it, see if the will discount it if you pay it all at once. You can get up to 50% off that way.