Menu

Anyone want to plan my party menu? PLEASE?

AlmiraGulch

I'll be having anywhere from 13 - 16 adults and 3 - 6 kids to my house for a Christmas party/white elephant gift exchange a couple of days before Christmas. It will be a late afternoon/early evening event (beginning between 4:00 - 5:00) on a Sunday

I don't have much room in my house, so the dining room table is usually used for the food when I do this and people sort of mill about and grab a seat wherever they can find one, so a formal or even a full meal is not ideal.

I need to decide what to feed these people! I usually go with a mix of heavy and light hors d'ouvres. Usually it's just family, but there will be "extras" this year, some of whom have never been to my home before and I don't actually know very well.

Please, someone, I beg you...tell me what to serve! I want enough that people will be satisfied without costing a fortune (no caviar here) and easy enough to eat without a table to sit in front of. I also would like it to be a tiny bit...I don't know...classy, I suppose. Meaning, no pigs in a blanket.

I KNOW you can do this. Help me, please!

This is a great recipe for a gathering like yours that is always a hit here with adults and kids both: Pepperoni Bread. 1 package Bridgeford frozen bread dough (3 loaves); 1 pound thinly sliced pepperoni; 1 dozen eggs hard boiled; 1 pound mozzarella cheese. It's very easy to make ahead. I usually assemble it before guests arrive, then pop into the oven.

Let dough rise (approx 7 hours?); separate dough into two sections (1 1/2 loaves and 1 1/2 loaves) Roll one dough section flat and place on pizza stone (you can also use a lightly greased glass pan if you don't have a stone) Place pepperoni slices in layer on top of dough. Slice boiled eggs and make layer on top of pepperoni; Layer shredded cheese on top of eggs. Roll out other dough section and place on top - kneading edges of top dough to bottom dough, let rise, preheat oven to 400'.

After dough seems to have risen place stone or pan in oven for 15 mins. @ 400' then lower to 350' approx, for 30 mins. then brush top of bread with thin layer of egg yokes - let bake for approx another 10 mins. - Remove from oven when top is golden brown, brush with olive oil. If you braid the edges of the dough together it looks very rustic and chic when you serve it. Slice with circular pizza cutter.

First you need to decide if you are cooking all of these yourself or "cheating" and getting some of them at Sams or Costco. If you are doing them yourself, I would include phyllo cups and bruschetta since you can top them with so many different options. Mini quiche as well as some type of chips and dip are also easy ideas. A cheese tray will work if you add some adult flavors such as Havarti or Dubliner. Here are some recipes to get you started:

http://www.delish.com/entertaining-ideas/parties/cocktail-parties/party-finger-food-recipes#slide-1

http://www.foodnetwork.com/holidays-and-parties/easy-elegant-holiday-appetizer-recipes/pictures/index.html

Next, presentation is almost as important as what you serve. I do this for a living and if food looks appealing and attractive, people think it is better :)

Instead of laying everything of the table at one level, stagger the heights. This is very easy to do with things you already have.

• You could place some empty votive holders under a tray
  • Flip a cake pan upside down and cover with some fabric napkins. Use this to hold a bowl or other tray
  • Use pretty flower pots to create height. Or use jars wrapped in holiday wrapping paper.
  • Use individual containers...instead of a vegetable tray, place each vegetable in its own container such as square vases.
  • Try to keep all the presentation dishes either clear or white
  • If you use fabric or wrapping paper to camouflage items, keep everything one or two colors. Use these same colors or different shades for the plates and napkins as well to make everything look seamless.

This blog post show some great ideas for simple foods presented well.

http://celebrationsathomeblog.com/2010/04/stylish-food-presentation.html

First you need to decide if you are cooking all of these yourself or "cheating" and getting some of them at Sams or Costco.

Next, presentation is almost as important as what you serve. I do this for a living and if food looks appealing and attractive, people think it is better :)

Instead of laying everything of the table at one level, stagger the heights. This is very easy to do with things you already have.

• You could place some empty votive holders under a tray

• Flip a cake pan upside down and cover with some fabric napkins. Use this to hold a bowl or other tray

• Use pretty flower pots to create height. Or use jars wrapped in holiday wrapping paper.

• Use individual containers...instead of a vegetable tray, place each vegetable in its own container such as square vases.

• Try to keep all the presentation dishes either clear or white

• If you use fabric or wrapping paper to camouflage items, keep everything one or two colors. Use these same colors or different shades for the plates and napkins as well to make everything look seamless.

This blog post show some great ideas for simple foods presented well.

http://celebrationsa...esentation.html

This is great stuff! First, I'll be making almost all of it myself. I'll likely cheat on dessert by picking up a large tray or two from Costco. I also don't plan to cut veggies myself, so I'll buy those pre-cut. I LOVE the idea of putting each vegetable in square vases on the like. That will look great! And I have a few different tiered serving platter things, but I also like using other things to create height. Thanks!

For a similar event my mom has done a "soup buffet". Borrow a 3 or 4 crockpots and make a different soup in each one (butternut squash soup, chili, turkey vegetable, whatever you like). Buy a variety of rolls and put them in a pretty basket nearby. If you add even a couple of light appetizers you end up with a very nice spread with minimal effort. We just leave the food out (since the crockpots keep the soup warm) so people can graze at will and no formal mealtimes or seatings are required.