Menu

Independent science for 3rd grader?

truebluexf

I have a very precocious 3rd grader. She just turned 8, should be a second grader by age, but is a strong third grader. I was going to do RSO Biology with her alongside her brother doing ES Logic Bio, but it's too babyish. I tried having her do the same as her brother, but that is too advanced. Sigh. I'm happy for her to do nothing formal yet, but she wants something like he has. Ideas? I don't want to piece something together myself. Should I get grammar stage? Is there something else helpful? We'll never finish a whole curriculum at this point, but she wants something fun to do like he does.

From my experience, ES grammar stage would be at a level between RSO Biology (which really is great for 1st grade but I don't think meaty enough for much older than that) and ES logic stage. The grammar stage book might be just right for her. :) I think it would be a good choice.

Or, what about one of the Apologia Exploring Creation... books? They can be completed fairly independently by a third grader and there are some interesting topics. We have done all but one of the books now and my kids have always enjoyed them.

If I get her biology as well, is it going to be too young? I know it's aimed at 1-2 grades. this is where I get stuck. I don't want to run different topics if I don't have to, but at the same time, doing bio now means it gets done again in two years so I can have her do the science cycle twice.

I don't think structured science can be very independent in the grammar stage, honestly, unless you're planning to forgo experiments. But if you're planning to not do a hands on component, then I would have her just read quality books. Make a book list. When she finishes a book, have her do a narration, either written or oral. Let that be it.

Evan Moor Daily Science 3 might be an option. I also have a new 8 year old with whom I had planned to do Nancy Larson science this year, but haven't gotten around to it. EMDS has been more thought-provoking and engaging than I expected. In addition to talking about each 'big idea', we pull in non-fiction books and videos to supplement. It isn't heavy science, but it gets done and is almost entirely independent (other than the discussion we try to work in).

Thanks! When I said "independent" I didn't mean I'd leave her on her own. ;) She is very independent though and doesn't like it when I "teach" lol....it's not laziness on my part. ;) Her brother does logic stage and is for the most independent with it, and she of course wants the same. There is info for making it work for both ages in my guide, but it still seemed a bit advanced with the reading? Maybe I need to go review it again. My biggest issue is I would really like to keep it for her when she is in 5th, kwim?

I the meantime I forgot I had gotten this little nature notebook from American Girl on Cyber Monday for like $1.99....and it might be just right for keeping her busy and independent feeling. She is jealous of what her brother gets to do, really! Then this would be her own little project, and keep her engaged and learning without a big $$ investment from me. :) http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/item/id/167687/uid/139