Menu

What should I read first?

I originally wrote a long post with a bunch of questions but I decided it would be better to break the questions up to make it easier for responses.

We live in Canada. My son is in Grade 6 and I'm thinking ahead and starting to research this whole high school thing.

First, can you recommend any past posts that I need to read to be ready for this?

Welcome to the high school board! :) You may find this current thread on both the benefits AND the realities of homeschooling high school interesting: "Why homeschool high school? I don't wanna... Or do I? Input Please..."

My son is in Grade 6 and I'm thinking ahead and starting to research this whole high school thing. First, can you recommend any past posts that I need to read to be ready for this?

Here you go (below)! While none of the threads linked below are specifically about homeschooling high school in Canada, most of what's in those threads is applicable to homeschooling in most places. Try a google search for a homeschooling group in your area, and see if you can meet with a few local homeschoolers and chat with them as "mentors" to give you good, specific, "BTDT" advice about homeschoolling high school in your area.

I also highly recommend taking a look at a book or two on homeschooling the teen years, which covers things you'll want to think about doing in the middle school grades to make the transition into high school easier for you. Warmest regards, Lori D.

BOOKS

Homeschooling: The Teen Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 13- to 18- Year-Old (by Cafi Cohen)
Homeschoolers' College Admissions Handbook: Preparing Your 12- to 18-Year-Old for a Smooth Transition (by Cafi Cohen)
The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens (by Debra Bell)
The High School Handbook; For Junior High, Too (by Mary Schofield)
Home Learning Year By Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School(by Rebecca Rupp)

PAST THREADS

Getting Started
To all you people with 8th graders...
Soon to be a high schooler
Talk to Me About... High School Fears
Homeschooling High School

Books and Resources
Need book suggestion for help in homeschooling through high school
Best Guides for Homeschooling in High School?
High School at Home
Best Resources to Learn How to Homeschool High School?
Donna Young website articles and forms: Homeschooling High School
HSLDA website series of articles: Homeschooling Through High School

Making a High School Plan
When formulating a high school plan...
Who Else Has an 8th Grader and is Making a High School Plan?

Nuts & Bolts Topics -- Curriculum, Credits, How Many Classes, Transcripts, etc.
Book for Planning High School Curriculum Choices
Could you explain what equals a credit, 1/c credit, etc.?
How many classes per year for high school?What kind of records do you keep for your high school student?
http://www.welltrain...ghlight=records
Keeping HS records
What work do you save and how do you store your records?
Do you use a program such as Edu-Tracker for record keeping?
Resource for creating HS transcripts? HS planners?
Transcript question
How to combine traditional school and homeschool on transcripts?
Whine! I didn't sign up to be a guidance counselor!

Well Trained Mind and High School
Do You Follow TWTM for High School?
Does Anyone Do High School History/Lit ala TWTM?
Tell Me About Your Traditional Lit/History High School Courses
Is Boxed Curriculum Not Sufficient for High School Any More?

Wow! Thanks and I've sent you an email! I think I'll need a few days to read all this!

I know, I have a tendency to overwhelm... ;)

But just look at the 4 threads on "getting started" and then you can think about what specific things you want to know from there. :001_smile:

Happy reading! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I'd also suggest rereading the WTM and maybe the WEM. If there is some area of your own education that you've always wanted to study, now is good time to dabble. With older children you should have a bit more free time. I always tie my own dabbles to what my kids are studying.

I know, I have a tendency to overwhelm... ;)

But just look at the 4 threads on "getting started" and then you can think about what specific things you want to know from there. :001_smile:

Happy reading! Warmest regards, Lori D.

No Lori, you do not "overwhelm." You just leave me in a state of awe.

Thanks for always being ready and able to share so much needed information.

AmyontheFarm - Welcome!

No Lori, you do not "overwhelm." You just leave me in a state of awe.

:smilielol5:

Must be the Swedish ancestry... the same thing that drives me to put out 3x as much food as needed, 'cause if there aren't loads of left-overs -- *gasp* -- someone might still be hungry and then I wouldn't be a good hostess!

• 2 months later...