Menu

Is this the new Mom uniform??

Moxie

Well I'm not wearing skinny jeans because I have a fat arse and fat accessory part to go with the arse.

Skinny jeans and high boats are only flattering on people who are skinny. Somewhat like "slimming" clothing that never comes in a size above 10. If you're a size 10, you don't need "slimming" clothing.

Sigh.

Well I'm not wearing skinny jeans because I have a fat arse and fat accessory part to go with the arse.

Skinny jeans and high boats are only flattering on people who are skinny. Somewhat like "slimming" clothing that never comes in a size above 10. If you're a size 10, you don't need "slimming" clothing.

Sigh.

LOL! I'm 2 weeks pp right now so it is not a trend I'm rushing to follow either! I don't think it flatters most body types, although a few seem to pull it off well. I'm also not a fan of it for modesty reasons.

We're supposed to have uniforms?

I think it's just a trend right now. Not a trend for the fat ladies though so that excludes me. :D

Some people use the term "uniform" to mean your interchangeable standard look. Like, jeans and a T-shirt or a skirt and a button top or whatever. You have some of each piece and you interchange them. Nearly everyone has one. Most people aren't in a dress one day, yoga pants the next, jeans the next, denim the next, etc. They have a look.

I think it is the basic look now. But I won't wear it. Skinny jeans are way wrong for round behind. Boots and a skirt are more my thing. Or boots and bootcut jeans. The skinny jeans thing needs to die. I think it's just hilarious when you see them for sale in the plus section especially. I mean, come on. Not every "trend" is right for every body type.

Are you in an area with lots of young moms? I see that "look" on the teens and 20somethings frequently but definitely not on the moms (who are mostly middle-aged). The moms tend to be wearing regular jeans, yoga pants, or maxi skirts.

I did wear boots yesterday but it was with a sweater dress to a Christmas party.

Sigh.

We're just part of the fat arse trend. I wear mine quite well. ;)

Are you in an area with lots of young moms? I see that "look" on the teens and 20somethings frequently but definitely not on the moms (who are mostly middle-aged). The moms tend to be wearing regular jeans, yoga pants, or maxi skirts.

I did wear boots yesterday but it was with a sweater dress to a Christmas party.

Well, I'm almost 36 and I'd say most of the women were about my age??

I did see a woman in her 60's wearing skinny jeans with boots in church this morning. She is a really beautiful woman with a lovely silver bob hairstyle. She had on skinny jeans with black boots, a nice grey sweater and silver statement necklace. Very stylish. I thought she really looked nice and confident. Proof to me that age doesn't have to matter.

It is very common here in la la land. I'm 5'11 and wear a size 16 jean. I'm not exactly slender. It is not a look I go for only because I would look ridiculous. I love my boot cut jeans from American Eagle. I wear this cut of jean almost every day with my Born clogs. I would love a pair of tall boots or really cute embellished cowgirl boots, but I have 2 dd's who get all of my extra money.

I wear skinny jeans and boots a lot during the fall and winter. But I wear tunic length tops and the jeans look like and are as thick as regular jeans, but totally stretchy like leggings. Best part is that they were 10 bucks at Ross :)

I'm not skinny, and I'm short, but as the boots on the bottom and longer shirt balance it all out.

It's a pretty common look here too, on all ages from teens to mid-40s or maybe 50s. Most women here are quite skinny and they carry it off with style.

Me - not so much. I have the aforementioned fat arse, fat accessory parts, and a couple fat spare parts, just in case I lose any of the arse or accessory. I'm sticking to regular mom-ish jeans, loafers, and my signature untucked comfy shirts.

I think it's a trend and I hope it ends soon. I get that it's comfy, but, IMHO, tight fitting clothes are usually not modest.

I am asking this in all sincerity because I often wonder about this issue. I feel myself to be fairly modest, or maybe actually self conscious :)

Most moms I see look quite cute, and have longer looser tops with their jeans and boots, similar to a tunic dress and leggings. Unless one chooses to wear only skirts, or dresses I just don't see how this outfit worn in a grown up way is any less modest than normal jeans which so often are cut so darn low its either constant war against the booty escaping, or wearing those high waist "mom" jeans.

I'm in the mid-Atlantic. I see girls and women of every age wearing this now, but not every body type.

I think it's a trend and I hope it ends soon. I get that it's comfy, but, IMHO, tight fitting clothes are usually not modest.

I don't get the immodesty argument. You can buy them to fit like ANY pair of jeans. Nobody makes you wear too-tight jeans. The difference is the snug calf so the jeans can go IN the boots and not over them.

I think we see so much of this look because the boots are cuter than they've been in a long time, so some of us non-shoppers broke down and bought boots while they were stylish AND comfortable, then needed jeans to go with :-) Also, waist bands crept back up to a comfortable level at the same time, so it's 'safe' for moms to be trendy again.

Well I'm not wearing skinny jeans because I have a fat arse and fat accessory part to go with the arse. Skinny jeans and high boats are only flattering on people who are skinny. Somewhat like "slimming" clothing that never comes in a size above 10. If you're a size 10, you don't need "slimming" clothing. Sigh.

This. I would totally love to wear the skinny jeans and calf boots thing, but in addition to the things Martha said I also have calf muscles like a grapefruit. No tall boots for me.

I am asking this in all sincerity because I often wonder about this issue. I feel myself to be fairly modest, or maybe actually self conscious :) Most moms I see look quite cute, and have longer looser tops with their jeans and boots, similar to a tunic dress and leggings. Unless one chooses to wear only skirts, or dresses I just don't see how this outfit worn in a grown up way is any less modest than normal jeans which so often are cut so darn low its either constant war against the booty escaping, or wearing those high waist "mom" jeans.
I'm in the mid-Atlantic. I see girls and women of every age wearing this now, but not every body type. I don't get the immodesty argument. You can buy them to fit like ANY pair of jeans. Nobody makes you wear too-tight jeans. The difference is the snug calf so the jeans can go IN the boots and not over them. I think we see so much of this look because the boots are cuter than they've been in a long time, so some of us non-shoppers broke down and bought boots while they were stylish AND comfortable, then needed jeans to go with :-) Also, waist bands crept back up to a comfortable level at the same time, so it's 'safe' for moms to be trendy again.

Modesty isn't just about what is falling out of your clothes. IMO, wearing a bodysuit made of any tight material could cover every inch of my skin and still not be modest. Likewise skinny jeans that aren't tight aren't skinny jeans... They're tapered leg regular jeans.

I guess this is just further proof that 'modest' is a relative term. For me, if I am comfortable wearing it in front of my FIL, it is modest.

I wore my jeans with tall boots, a tank top and a long sweater that closed in the front. I even saw my priest yesterday, come to think of it! I don't think I could have been considered immodest by any definition but maybe some would disagree.

I guess this is just further proof that 'modest' is a relative term. For me, if I am comfortable wearing it in front of my FIL, it is modest.

I wore my jeans with tall boots, a tank top and a long sweater that closed in the front. I even saw my priest yesterday, come to think of it! I don't think I could have been considered immodest by any definition but maybe some would disagree.

This is how I feel, I hadn't ever felt provocative in my outfits, and wouldn't consider most other moms at all immodest with the way they wear them.

Not all of course, there are always bad fashion choices around and those that choose to wear head to toe tight like a bodysuit.....but no one wants to see me like that!

I just don't see it as any different than leggings and a tunic or sundress which I also find cute and modest by my standards.

It is relative though. Unless I am wearing a turtleneck or high necked cami I have a tiny bit of cleavage, or at least very noticeable BOOks. Nothing I can do about it, except avoid many types of shirts, or layer. I guess many people probably find that immodest, but while I'm not flaunting it, I'm not going to wear prairie dresses and turtlenecks either.

Modesty isn't just about what is falling out of your clothes. IMO, wearing a bodysuit made of any tight material could cover every inch of my skin and still not be modest. Likewise skinny jeans that aren't tight aren't skinny jeans... They're tapered leg regular jeans.

Put me in the hate-to-shop camp, so I probably don't know, but ALL of the pants like this seem to be labeled 'skinny jeans' and I've yet to see a tag proclaiming 'tapered leg regular jeans.' I'm wearing them now. They are fitted, but not skin tight. Any jeans that go over my booty could never be too tight for my thighs though. :-/

I love boots but can't do the skinny jeans. Even if they aren't tight on my big butt, I have a real problem with any pants that are snug around my knees. Old knee injury made it a problem, and it drives me nuts.

I have trouble finding calf high boots that fit my calves, even when I'm skinny but I do have a few pairs now that work. I usually wear them under long calf length skirts. If I ever manage to lose some weight, I'll wear them with leggings and long (very long) tunic-type shirts and sweaters.

I wear boot cut or straight leg jeans with Uggs or sneakers most of the time.

I rarely seem to notice what people are wearing. So unless they were totally naked, the thought of modest/not modest wouldn't even be on my radar.

:lol:

I'm pretty much the same. Although I have a time or two seen a woman walking shaking it so bad I want to offer her a wheel chair

Sigh.

Not all skinny people look great in skinny jeans. I weigh less then 100 pounds and wouldn't touch skinny jeans with a 10 foot pole. They make me look like a walking skeleton :laugh: I need jeans that make me look "fuller" so I don't get asked every 10 minutes if I ever eat anything or told that I look sick. I like my bootlegs.

This dates me, but skinny jeans were very popular in the 80's and everyone (youngsters) wore them. Now, this trend is back with another old fashion favorite... the boot. I am seeing leggings make a comeback (another popular trend in the 80s... ironically from the 60s with thicker fabric) and they look great with boots too. I think it is not a "MOM" uniform, but a fashion fave for certain bodytypes... ;)

I love this look. I'm 55 by the way.

I wear loose tunic tops that totally hide my ample tummy and minimize my large booKs. I look way slimmer in boots, skinny pants, and a tunic than I do in almost anything else.

where do you buy tunics? Can you recommend some styles?

I've seen several teen girls wearing this.

I look so much better in boot cut jeans. I hope the skinny jean thing dies too.

And tall boots look great, but yeah, finding nice looking comfortable ones in a size 12 that don't cost an arm and a leg (though then maybe I could just buy one?)...

I wish I could wear this look. It's super cute, but all the boots I've found thus far look super rediculous on my skinny 12 1/2 inch calves...I keep trying on boot after boot and they are soooooo roomy with the back of the boot sticking out so far it looks bad. :glare: SO I stick with short boots under my jeans....that's all I can wear.

So, Hive shoppers, if you were 5'2" and not super-thin in your mid-40s but still wearing a small size, would you skip this trend and save the money by wearing boot cut jeans with low boots as usual to dinner with friends this weekend, or would you suddenly feel the urge to shop (you know, to "help" DH buy you some Christmas presents)?

Further, if you did feel like shopping, do tell more about what sort of top would be appropriate - we're talking Shopping for Dummies :)

We're just part of the fat arse trend. I wear mine quite well. ;)

Me, too. FWIW, I wear skinny jeans and tall boots a LOT. I usually wear a sweater or tunic on top, but sometimes a blouse and blazer. It depends on what mood I'm in, but I'm here to tell you that

1) you do NOT have to be skinny to wear skinny jeans well

2) skinny jeans are NOT supposed to be so tight you're sporting camel toe

3) tall boots come in wider calf sizes and,

4) you do NOT have to be under 30 to wear this look and wear it tastefully and stylishly

I know this because I rock the heck out of it, and I have never been a size 2 model AND I'm over 40.

And, if you want to harp on the whole modesty thing, let me tell you that long denim skirt that's 2 sizes too small is NOT modest. Neither is that top that's so tight your bra isn't even good enough to hide the pointer-sisters you're sporting every cold day. I see this on young an older girls alike EVERY. SINGLE. TIME I go into the bigger towns. These are the same ones who will smirk at every woman in pants like they've got some superior secret. Frankly, I'm sick of it.

Count me in as another not-overweight woman who wants the skinny jean trend to disappear for another couple of decades! I've got a BMI of around 20, which is right smack in the middle of the healthy range. But I do have curves and skinny jeans make me look hippy. They are so not designed for women with hourglass figures, only beanpoles!

where do you buy tunics? Can you recommend some styles?

It's a quest...

Long length sweaters are easy to find, but it's 80 degrees here this week. Hard to wear.

My favorites are shirts with longer tails meant to be worn out. I shop mostly at JCPenny's (or used to) and Macy's. I like shirts in rich colors, with collars, and 3/4 length sleeves. I wish I could just order shirts in styles and colors I love instead of having to search them out.

Sometimes I google women's tunic tops and have a look at various images.

So, Hive shoppers, if you were 5'2" and not super-thin in your mid-40s but still wearing a small size, would you skip this trend and save the money by wearing boot cut jeans with low boots as usual to dinner with friends this weekend, or would you suddenly feel the urge to shop (you know, to "help" DH buy you some Christmas presents)?

IMHO the only women who look good in skinny jeans are tall beanpoles, so I'd say skip the trend.

IMHO the only women who look good in skinny jeans are tall beanpoles, so I'd say skip the trend.

Ok thanks :). I think you're right, they'd make me look hippy too (bmi is about the same as yours). That simplifies my week, though I could use a new top...

Further, if you did feel like shopping, do tell more about what sort of top would be appropriate - we're talking Shopping for Dummies :)

I'd say go try it on and see how you feel. I'm not sure height is as significant as proportion. I'm short, but my arms and legs are long relative to my torso. You want some denim between the bottom of your tunic/sweater and the top of your boots :-)

I've actually seen some of the rounder, apple-shaped ladies pull this off and look very cute. I'm not fashion savvy enough to explain te formula for making it work, but I think it's a nice, casual, full-coverage winter look on lots of ladies. Some of us have been patiently riding out some very teeny-bopper trends until its safe to buy clothes again. I hated the super-low jeans and the 5 tissue-thin tops look. I wasn't thrilled about the return of bell-bottoms, but got used to it. The empire waist thing isnt so great for those of us who aren't as 'giftef' up top. This suits MY body type better, so I'm in my little happy place for once.

Me, too. FWIW, I wear skinny jeans and tall boots a LOT. I usually wear a sweater or tunic on top, but sometimes a blouse and blazer. It depends on what mood I'm in, but I'm here to tell you that

1) you do NOT have to be skinny to wear skinny jeans well

2) skinny jeans are NOT supposed to be so tight you're sporting camel toe

3) tall boots come in wider calf sizes and,

4) you do NOT have to be under 30 to wear this look and wear it tastefully and stylishly

I know this because I rock the heck out of it, and I have never been a size 2 model AND I'm over 40.

And, if you want to harp on the whole modesty thing, let me tell you that long denim skirt that's 2 sizes too small is NOT modest. Neither is that top that's so tight your bra isn't even good enough to hide the pointer-sisters you're sporting every cold day. I see this on young an older girls alike EVERY. SINGLE. TIME I go into the bigger towns. These are the same ones who will smirk at every woman in pants like they've got some superior secret. Frankly, I'm sick of it.

😂 She said "camel-toe" AND "pointer sisters"😱