Menu

Question about homemade vanilla

jrn

I started a batch back in July and have been shaking it several times weekly. It isn't very dark nor does it smell as good as the real vanilla that I got from the store. (it's from Mexico, the label is in Spanish)

I had 2 1Liter bottles of vodka and put 8 beans in each. Did I goof somehow? do I just need to be more patient? is it going to get darker with time? how much time?

Christmas is just around the corner and I'm freaking out.

Two questions: are you planning on rebottling it into smaller containers for gifting and do you have more vanilla beans?

Yes, I planned to put it in smaller containers, and I do not have more vanilla beans. I should have time to order more though, although I really need to keep the cost down.

OK. I made vanilla a couple years ago and found that it really needed to age for much longer than all of the online tutorials suggest. I also think that it needs more beans than most people indicate. When I had similar issues here's what worked for me: rebottle it into new containers and equally distribute the used beans into the smaller bottles so that it can continue to infuse. Then, depending upon the size of your bottles, add 1/2-1 new vanilla bean (split open, of course) into them. Put on the label "Best after ___________" and choose a date several months from now.

I have a few bottles of vanilla that I made like this three years ago still leftover and it is AMAZING. It really just needs to age, age, age.

I bought vanilla beans in bulk and still have at least 100 of them! If you're comfortable PMing me your contact info I'd be happy to stick a Ziplock baggie of them into the mail for you. I have so many that I've just been giving them away to anyone I know who wants vanilla beans, LOL!

I like to use about 10 beans per 750 ml bottle and let it soak for about 6 months if possible. I've always used regular vodka, but I just bought some bakery flavored vodka (iced cake, whipped cream, fluffed marshmallow, & kissed caramel. I like to experiment a bit and try different combinations.

I'm sure what you have is fine, but if in doubt add another (cut up) bean or 2 into each bottle.