Menu

I can't get this makeup thing right. Does anyone do mineral makeup still?

Joanne

Or was it a fad?

I won't be buying until after New Year, anyway. I do plan on trying the Walgreens Studio 35 posted a week or so ago.

I would like to wear makeup; I think it's more polished and professional and I have some , um, areas I'd like to cover.

But mascara has made my eyes water, and light makeup (like tinted moisturizer) doesn't cover enough. Anything heavier feels heavier - like I am wearing a sponge on my face.

Guest inoubliable

Have you tried mixing in some foundation with a moisturizer? So that you can control the coverage? Almay makes a nice mascara that doesn't irritate my eyes - might be worth checking out if your eyes are sensitive.

I can't help you with the mineral makeup, though I've always wanted to try it. But the trick is to get exactly the right color when it comes to foundation, blush, etc. A slight difference from your skin tone, and you'll end up looking like either a mime or very orangey. ;) And I really like the foundation that comes in a little compact, and is creamy when I put it on but feels more like powder once it's on my skin. It's light, but has good coverage. Also, getting really OCD with the blending helps. When I put foundation on, I blend good with the sponge, then lightly rub it in with my hands.

I hope I can help with my experience. Forgive me if some of my advice seems a bit shallow, but I've had to wear make-up for professional and performance reasons, so I've spent some time researching make-up that looks natural, but well-done.

Unfortunately, as I've aged, I've found most make up tends to sit on my skin, looking cakey. I've found really, really good skin care is the key to keeping my makeup well-groomed, but minimal. In my personal opinion, even skin tone, well groomed brows, and a tiny bit of eye makeup makes the look polished.

If you don't mind getting a bit of a hard sell, I've found the MAC cosmetics counter to give the best advice and tips. I usually look for the more mature assistants because in my experience, they tend to have more knowledge of different looks, ages, and skin types. Youtube videos have also been helpful, although be warned, you can waste insane amounts of time researching the more extreme looks.

I've used the tips I've learned from MAC with mineral makeup and it's worked well.

I've also found, with age (I'm 42), that it is difficult to find makeup that doesn't look cakey. I wore mineral makeup as recently as 5 years ago, but once I turned 40, my skin just couldn't take it.

A good primer, tinted moisturizer, and a light dusting of powder on my T-zone works best for me. I only wear mascara, in addition to the makeup, on a daily basis, but if I'm getting dressed-up (2-3 times/year?) I will put on a neutral brown eye-shadow, light eye-liner, and lipstick. I never used to leave the house without lipstick!

I love mineral makeup.

I have light olive skin, and it's hard to get the right foundation tone. A few years ago I switched to mineral makeup and love it. I ordered samples of foundation from Meowcosmetics.com and found just the right one.

It's a little expensive on the front end to order the samples, and you will need a really good brush to apply the foundation.

For me, nothing else gives me the same coverage that is comfortable and the right shade. I do get bored and try other things, but I even find I want to layer the mineral over cream foundations when I buy those. I have a Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer that is just to light weight for me, but I sometimes wear the mineral over it. I have a Mary Kay foundation that I actually really like, and that has more coverage. But if I really want to look awesome, I sometimes wear mineral over the MK.

I'm . . . um . . .mature, and I get away with a little green stick and some minerals make-up to even out my skin tone. You can't see it on me, but there is definite improvement. I also use a little powder on my invisi-brows and it makes a huge difference in my appearance. Since I'm so fair, brown (not black-brown) mascara and eyeliner looks natural on me while black looks fake. A smidgen of blush and some tinted lip balm added to the mix give me a nice everyday look that's neither frumpy nor too made-up for daytime. If I want my eyes to look really blue, I use some coppery eyeshadow. It takes 5 minutes.

I hate liquid make-up and I'm not sure I can go back even when I need to :-/

ETA: When I first tried minerals, I used a lovely, expensive kabuki brush. It applied way to much make-up, enhanced every fine line, and made me look old. An old, cheap blush brush that grabs much less make-up is what I use now. A little goes a long way.

Joanne, if you have a Sephora nearby, go there. They will help you try it in the store, but also will often give you a small sample of something if you ask, for you to try for a couple days at home. That way if you have a bad color or it irritates your skin, you know before you buy. They have Bare Minerals, and I think they have a couple other brands as well.

I do like Bare Minerals, but if you find you need a liquid foundation, I really like Clinique. There are several products of varying coverage (including a powder compact that gives good coverage but feels lighter), and it's the only foundation I've ever found that doesn't make me break out. They usually carry that at Sephora as well.

Your face is a canvas, and makeup is an art.

First, prep the canvas. That means you need to use a primer, especially as you get older. Sephora and department stores are great about giving away samples. You can also do it on the cheap and use Monistat chafing gel from any megastore.

Second, select the proper tools. That means find a great brush. "Great" doesn't equal "expensive" though I wouldn't go super pricey, nor super cheap. I like the middle ground, I find the best compromises there. For a less cakey look, find the largest/fattest brush available. Make sure you've watched YouTube to see how to apply mineral make-up, it's not just dab, tap, apply!

Third, find the right make-up. Cheap is good, but only if it's ... good. I use mineral makeup for my day to day and non-mineral foundation on days I work out of the home. In both cases I've compromised in the middle in terms of quality and price. I use Everyday Minerals (they have a great sampler pack that is sized to give you a truly good idea of how it will work for you - check out their website) and Shisheido.

I never wear mascara when I wear my glasses. I don't wear them every day, though; do you? I think you can try a light eyeshadow and some eyeliner, at least on your upper lid. Mascara is tricky, I've only found two brands that don't irritate my eyes (Shisheido and ... name blank, but it's some botanical brand at Target in a silver tube). Find a heated lash curler and see if that helps in place of the mascara. Or maybe see if clear mascara is less irritating to your eyes.

You've mentioned that money is tight right now. I'd start with the little green stick someone above me mentioned. Any drug store will have it. It looks like lipstick except it is green. Put a little on any redness and gently pat it in with your fingers (don't rub). It does wonders getting rid of redness and is super cheap--just a few dollars.

When you get a little free time and some extra $$, go someplace that sells Bare Minerals and that will help you pick the right shade. Ulta does that here. I have oily skin and it works for me--I don't know if it would work if you have dry skin.

HTH!

I was just at Willowbrook today and got a free makeup consultation at one of the mineral makeup kiosks. I told the lady up front that I didn't have much time now was I going to buy any today. She insisted that I try it today and buy it another time if I was happy with the result. So try Willowbrook Mall (or any mall for that matter) if you like.

I used mineral makeup for awhile, then switched back to liquid foundation because of the cost. A few years ago, i switched back to mineral makeup. I immediately had people tell me how wonderful my skin looked. I will never switch again. :)

The first time I bought it, I went to Ulta and they showed me what to use. It is expensive (I use Bare Minerals), but I find that it lasts a really long time.

I wear makeup for work. I use a tinted moisturiser with powder over the top. The powder gives that extra bit of coverage without feeling heavy. I have pale skin and very dark hair/eyebrows/lashes so I don't put anything on my eyes: just my light foundation layers and lipstick.

Best wishes

Laura

I just bought some Bare Minerals at Ulta for things like pictures and Christmas etc. The have trial packs. I picked up a trial pack of the foundation, primer, powder, lip gloss, mascara, an eye shadow kit and some blush for about $100. I walked in and they color matched me. I wore it for pictures and am happy with how it turned out.

I agree with taking good care of your skin. There are drugstore options for everyone, IMO! I still like mineral foundation powder (I'm 41) and I use Physician's formula--after applying a moisturizing foundation sparingly with a sponge applicator.

My secret weapon product is Paula's Choice 1% BHA gel for exfoliation. I cannot properly explain how much this has changed my skin for the better. Fewer blemishes, smaller pores, more even skin tone/color. (Paula's Choice offers cheap--and sometimes free--samples, so it's easy to test these out. I'd do 2 samples of each product you want so that you can use it long enough to tell if it works. I bought my current bottle of this gel almost a year ago, btw, and am still only 2/3 through the bottle so it lasts and is worth the price!)

Everything else I could probably get at a drugstore, including CeraVe's cleanser and moisturizers, but I'll always use the BHA from Paula's Choice. Sorry to sound like a commercial for that brand, but her stuff is really good and I'm devoted. LOL

I have some from Orglamix. It's ok. I will say sometimes it hurts my eyes. I have very sensitive eyes and wear contacts. The Loreal Double Extend tube kind is the only mascara that doesn't irritate my eyes. Burt's Bees Radiance Serum isn't mineral makeup, but makes my skin fabulous when I can afford it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking into Mineral Makeup, also. I spent some time researching online and have it narrowed down to these three, although will probably go with the first, since there is a local day spa which carries this line and they will show me how to apply it for $20 along with a skin consultation. From my understanding, you do pay a bit for these, but they last a long time and are good/nourishing for your skin. I figure if it works, is good for my skin, has a money-back guarantee, and I know how to apply it, then it's worth the extra money. My middle age weight gain & wrinkles caught up all at once. ;)

Jane Iredale

Purely Cosmetics

Alima Pure

I use (and love) Bare Minerals. When I switched to it, people were stopping me in the store to tell me how great my makeup was and ask what I was wearing. And my friends were constantly telling me how I didn't look as tired and how nice I looked. It was actually unnerving since I thought I must have looked awful before for everyone to be making such a big fuss. :) And, it's the only makeup I've found that doesn't make me break out like crazy a couple of days later...

Bare Minerals has outlet stores where you can get makeovers, but their stuff is more reasonably priced. IIRC, you live near Houston? There's a great Bare Minerals store at the outlets in San Marcos. It also lasts FOREVER so it's not as expensive as it seems.

Since using mineral makeup I will never go back to liquid foundation. I used Bare Minerals when I was in America, pricey but I seriously only bought it once a year or so. After moving I switched to a brand here. I always use a moisturiser and let it sit for a few minutes first. I think it does well at covering redness, but not so much for any breakouts. I don't think it's great if you have oily skin, mine is mildly oily and I just have to touch up occasionally. I love how gentle this makeup is, how light it is, I even sleep in it way more often than I'd like to admit. It's makeup that doesn't feel like you are wearing a ton of makeup.

I only wear mineral (bare minerals). I can't stand anything else. I feel like my skin can't breathe. I don't 'feel as if it's chalky or that it makes my wrinkles look deeper. The mineral veil is *magic*. it just makes you glow.

The only mascara I've found that doesn't irritate my eyes is Korres. Anything else makes the base of my lashes itch.

I've been looking into Mineral Makeup, also. I spent some time researching online and have it narrowed down to these three, although will probably go with the first, since there is a local day spa which carries this line and they will show me how to apply it for $20 along with a skin consultation. From my understanding, you do pay a bit for these, but they last a long time and are good/nourishing for your skin. I figure if it works, is good for my skin, has a money-back guarantee, and I know how to apply it, then it's worth the extra money. My middle age weight gain & wrinkles caught up all at once. ;)

Jane Iredale

Purely Cosmetics

Alima Pure

I have recently tried Jane Iredale. It is really, really good makeup. The pressed base is wonderful, as is several other products. I am wondering though if my face may be too oily for powder based makeup. It looks so wonderful when I put it on, but by late day, not so much. Bare Minerals looked awful on me a few hours after I applied.

I do have to say that Jane Iredale has THE best customer service and return policy I have ever experienced. I also think it is so much healthier for my skin than others I have tried. For those reasons, I'm going to keep working with it and/or try the liquid foundation.

I also like Estee Lauder foundations, and use that as my back up.

I have recently tried Jane Iredale. It is really, really good makeup. The pressed base is wonderful, as is several other products. I am wondering though if my face may be too oily for powder based makeup. It looks so wonderful when I put it on, but by late day, not so much. Bare Minerals looked awful on me a few hours after I applied.

I do have to say that Jane Iredale has THE best customer service and return policy I have ever experienced. I also think it is so much healthier for my skin than others I have tried. For those reasons, I'm going to keep working with it and/or try the liquid foundation.

I also like Estee Lauder foundations, and use that as my back up.

This is so good to hear! Thanks for sharing!

I've read so many glowing reviews about JI, and I bet if you contacted them they would point you in the right product direction.

Good luck!

Buy some basic tinted face powder...you can do the same thing with that that you can do with mineral powder. I do it every day. ELF brand, which is only $1/$3 depending on what you buy, is GREAT!!! Almost everything I use is ELF now. Some Walmarts carry it, some don't, so if the first one you check doesn't look at another one (if possible). Our grocery store carries it in the cosmetics section, as well. You can also make your own sheer mineral powder with this recipe. I use about 2-3 times the amount of tinted powder (I like it to cover more than it calls for), but I find it to be really light (I also HATE really heavy makeup) and it works just like the store bought stuff, but is WAY cheaper.

I use a cream coverup for my acne scars, really thin over just those areas (not all over), and then a layer of powder over top. Occasionally I will use pressed powder over top of that. Then I use blush on my cheeks to give me color, and a tiny bit on my nose, forehead, and edge of my jaw. Neutral colored eyeshadow on my eyes, then ELF eyeliner on upper lid only (BEST eyeliner I have tried so far, the $3 eyeliner/eyeshadow combo...goes on SO smoothly, I LOVE IT!). and ELF mineral blend mascara really lightly. Mascara makes me itch also, but the ELF mineral blend doesn't for some reason. Oh....I also use the ELF brand eyebrow kit, b/c my eyebrows are really thin and transparent, and it makes me look like I actually have them. LMAO

If you need any other advice, please don't hesitate to PM me! I have struggled my whole life with it, and have just in the past few years got this whole thing under control. LOL