Menu

If you use a notched card like in Dancing Bears...

Gentlemommy

How do you deal when they get to two and three letter phonograms, and only revealing one letter at a time is causing them to say the wrong sound? For example, the word is PAID. If dd uses a notched card (which I think is very good for her, she has gone through Vt, but tracking is something she has a bit of trouble with still, so I want her to continue using the card) she sees P-A and says the short sound for A, because she hasn't seen the I yet. Do you just have them autocorrect as they go? The problem with dd is that if she sees just the A, and says the short A sound, she won't realize that revealing the I makes the AI say the long A sound...she would know it though if she wasn't using the notched card and looked at the whole word. I'm using the program mostly because dd still has a tendency to add/take away letters when she reads, even though she is reading well. It's a tracking issue. The notched card will help, but she is getting frustrated when the above happens and repeatedly asks not to use the card because she can't see the other letters. Help!

I control the notched card, and I reveal whole phonograms. So it would be p-ai-d.

I do the same. Or sometimes I have the child use the notched card a word at a time instead of a phonogram at a time, especially when reading sentences. Being able to see the whole word is important when reading multi-letter phonograms and silent e words. By the time my kids got to that level they could blend cvc words easily.

I control the notched card, and I reveal whole phonograms. So it would be p-ai-d.

I always do this too. Sound-by-Sound! (NOT letter by letter!)

We use a notched card outside of Dancing Bears lessons sometimes, and I just hold it under a line and only use the "cursor" part when he stumbles on a word. Then we do the sound-by-sound uncovering. The process really makes decoding more 2nd nature.