Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you explain to this fresh from the Tiber Catholic? (I have a love for the very traditional, too).

I attend a Traditional Latin Mass (using the 1962 missal), which is prayed "ad orientem" (literally "toward the east," but more accurately toward the apse). The priest, servers, and congregation all pray facing the same direction, symbolically turned together toward Christ.

Wanna do a Catholic themed reading challenge for 2013? This might be cheating a bit because I tend to do a lot of Catholic related reading anyway, but I thought it might fun to do an official reading challenge for next year. I noticed both Robin of Mytwoblessings and Jean of Howling Frog Books have both posted in this thread! Wanna brainstorm with me? Like maybe have 10 books out of the 52 that have to be Catholic in some way. Maybe read 1 saint biography, 1 book on theology, 1 book written by a pope, maybe a couple of novels written by well known Catholic authors (Chesterton, Flannery O'Conner, Waugh, Grahame Greene, etc.), maybe try to read completely an Old Testament book and a New Testament book, 1 book that focuses on contemporary Catholic issues, 1 book on history, 1 book a contemporary Catholic author (Kreeft, Martin, Hahn, etc).

What categories would you come up with?

Sounds like an interesting idea, Faith and I'd like to do something like that. Most of the non fiction reads I have on my list are catholic or faith based. I like the categories you came up with and can't think of any others.

I already have:

Echoing Silence: Thomas Merton on the Vocation of Writing

Life of Prayer - St Teresa

Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis

Mother Teresa, Come Be My Light

The Apostles - Pope Benedict XVI

Three Philosophies of Life - Peter Kreeft

Violet Crown,

In the Divine Liturgy, the people face east along with the priest, but everyone does participate. In fact, canonically, the priest cannot serve the Litury unless there is at least one person there to say the responses. Last summer I went to a friends' vow renewal (or similar--I forget what the actual title was, it was their 25th anniversary) at a Low TLM, and it was totally silent. Is that what you're talking about? The people are there doing their own prayers while the priest says his? No offense, but I hated it. :tongue_smilie:

I attend a Traditional Latin Mass (using the 1962 missal), which is prayed "ad orientem" (literally "toward the east," but more accurately toward the apse). The priest, servers, and congregation all pray facing the same direction, symbolically turned together toward Christ.

No, I understood that, but what do you mean about them doing what they do, not worrying about you and your posture..

Caitilin,

A low mass is quiet, but not totally silent (unless you're very far back!). There must always be someone making the responses. In American low masses, the congregation often says very few of the responses, but prays silently. In France, I'm told, Dialogue masses are more the norm, with the congregation saying all the responses. And many low masses are somewhere in-between. But definitely low masses are more ... contemplative ... than high masses. Which works well if you're very familiar with the TLM, and so know what's going on throughout (and then it actually seems pretty busy and fast-paced!); but if it's all new, it can seem a lot like nothing is going on at all.

See, I'm all for contemplative prayer, and holy silence and all that. Really, I am! But if we're all there doing our own things, then in what sense is it corporate prayer--how can John or Joan be "assisting at the Mass" if each is simply praying privately? I know that tone doesn't come through the screen, so please take this as I mean it, as a genuine question, not an argument. :)

(The low Mass I attended was 90% inaudible, except for the readings, even though we were two pews from the front, in a small country church. :tongue_smilie: It had the effect of solidifying for me why I love the EO church.)

See, I'm all for contemplative prayer, and holy silence and all that. Really, I am! But if we're all there doing our own things, then in what sense is it corporate prayer--how can John or Joan be "assisting at the Mass" if each is simply praying privately? I know that tone doesn't come through the screen, so please take this as I mean it, as a genuine question, not an argument. :)

(The low Mass I attended was 90% inaudible, except for the readings, even though we were two pews from the front, in a small country church. :p It had the effect of solidifying for me why I love the EO church.)

I don't have the answer because I attend Novus Ordo Masses, but I'm wondering the same thing. BTW, I would love to attend Divine Liturgy sometime, at an EO church or Byzantine rite Catholic parish. Maybe someone else will have the answer to your question. :bigear:

(The low Mass I attended was 90% inaudible, except for the readings, even though we were two pews from the front, in a small country church. :tongue_smilie: It had the effect of solidifying for me why I love the EO church.)

But we're not praying privately - we're joining our prayers to the prayers of the liturgy. Often our prayers are the liturgical responses - whether out loud, quietly, or silently - sometimes they're prayers that are appropriate to the moment of the liturgy, but not verbatim.

I actually find it an odd question in a way, because one of the things that attracted me about Orthodoxy (though obviously I didn't end up going there) was the description of the Russian Orthodox liturgies, with some people praying the liturgy, others lighting candles, venerating icons, etc. - all joining in worship, but not in lockstep prayers.

I am sorry you had a negative experience at the Traditional Latin Mass. It's very hard to have high masses due to the struggling condition of the TLM in most places - for low mass, all you need is a priest and a server, and often that's all you can get.

But we're not praying privately - we're joining our prayers to the prayers of the liturgy....Snip

....I actually find it an odd question in a way, because one of the things that attracted me about Orthodoxy (though obviously I didn't end up going there) was the description of the Russian Orthodox liturgies, with some people praying the liturgy, others lighting candles, venerating icons, etc. - all joining in worship, but not in lockstep prayers.

Ok, I see what you're saying here, but the experiential truth is that someones ;) are always in, as you put it, "lockstep" verbal prayer with the liturgy, even if not everyone is at every moment. And the other thing is that in the DL, you HEAR the Liturgy; the choir of angels is present in us "who mystically represent the cherubim". The Liturgy is truly the work of the people--it cannot go forward without us.

It's here that I see the big difference between the TLM and the DL; for me the very thing that you like, the irrelevance of the people's actions to the priest's, would be a gigantic stumbling block. I don't think the laity is irrelevant--it's for us, the people of God, His beloved children, that the Liturgy and the Eucharist exist. It is our bounden duty to participate in *our* liturgical work, to join ourselves together into the one Body worshipping at the one Holy Altar. What we do matters. Ok, done disagreeing now. ;)

Oh, it's ok. I have been to high TLM before, and found it much better. :) There is quite a large TLM community here, actually; surprising for living up here in the hinterlands, lol.

And it would not have been such a negative experience except that I had all my kids there, and the younger 3 had a REALLY hard time with no cues to clue them in to what was going on at any given moment.

Depending on the circumstances, our family goes to low and high TLMs, vernacular Mass, and the occasional Divine Liturgy. My little folks would tell you that they like High Mass and Divine Liturgy the best. They don't seem to notice that those are longer than the others. :)

On a related topic, this isn't quite accurate:

Yes, All Catholic churches around the world, regardless of nationalities or languages, will have the same readings at every Sunday.

The Extraordinary Form (1962 Missal, AKA TLM) uses the older one-year cycle of readings and prayers.

And the Byzantines have their own one-year cycle, which I'm pretty sure is the same as the one followed by the Orthodox.

I think those are the only ones, though. Everyone using the Ordinary Form of the Latin Rite will have the same lectionary readings.

Question. I was baptized RC and received my 1st communion at age 8 after catechesis but never confirmed (my family moved and stopped going to church when I was 9). This is going to age me, but when I tried to go back when I was 18, the RC had changed. I have been wandering in the protestant realm ever since. My protestant husband is no longer protestant, we are inquiring into the EO and he is allowing me to explore my roots. We are lucky to have RC, EO and an Eastern-rite Maronite Catholic church within reasonable distance to compare.

In exploring my roots should I try RCIA or Adult Confirmation? The description of the AC is what 'fits' me but I wonder if I should go back to square one.

Question. I was baptized RC and received my 1st communion at age 8 after catechesis but never confirmed (my family moved and stopped going to church when I was 9). This is going to age me, but when I tried to go back when I was 18, the RC had changed. I have been wandering in the protestant realm ever since. My protestant husband is no longer protestant, we are inquiring into the EO and he is allowing me to explore my roots. We are lucky to have RC, EO and an Eastern-rite Maronite Catholic church within reasonable distance to compare.

In exploring my roots should I try RCIA or Adult Confirmation? The description of the AC is what 'fits' me but I wonder if I should go back to square one.

It should be what you are most comfortable with. When I finally was confirmed I didn't even need the classes because at one point prior to my confirmation I was teaching the classes. Classes took X amount of months and inevitably we'd move just prior to confirmation. I chased that for about 20 years off and on.

But in your situation if you have little to no understanding of what it means to be Catholic I'd say try the RCIA classes. You'll learn a great deal. If on the other hand you are comfortable with your personal knowledge take the AC class.

Truly Confirmation is for you so you need to decide the best route to get there. Good luck in which ever route you decide to take. And if you have any questions to ask or observations to share we are here to help.

Just Visiting, I think you should inquire at the parish you are interested in and talk with a priest or the RE director to get their take on what you need. In our parish even those who just need confirmation usually go through RCIA as well.

A bit of a loaded question, but here goes...

I asked this in the EO thread as well, as I am exploring both East and West.

What is the Catholic view of Atonement? Why did God need to come down in human form and sacrifice himself for us?

I was taught penal substitution/satisfaction theory, and I wholeheartedly reject that.

I am just curious of the Catholic view. I do have RCIA tonight, but we only have an hour long class ;)

Here's a thread from last year, from the old General board, that touches on Catholic views (note the plural) of the atonement. The discussion got kind of... interesting. ;) But there might be some useful information.

If you have any questions about what I mentioned in that thread, please feel free to ask, and I'll try to wake the little hamster up and get him back on the wheel.

If anyone can link some resources on the topic of "Gods Presence in the World"

Maybe I'm just not familiar with the terminology, but this seems like such a huge and unfathomable topic, I can't imagine how one would go about teaching it.

It does make me think of these somewhat similar topics, for which I know there are a lot of resources out there:

• How God reveals Himself to us in the world, through natural and supernatural revelation
  • How God allows us to share in His Presence through the sacraments
  • The Church as Mystical Body of Christ
  • "Practicing the Presence of God" as a spiritual path

But I'm not sure if any of them gets at what you're looking for. I hope you're able to find what you need.

Here's a thread from last year, from the old General board, that touches on Catholic views (note the plural) of the atonement. The discussion got kind of... interesting. ;) But there might be some useful information.

If you have any questions about what I mentioned in that thread, please feel free to ask, and I'll try to wake the little hamster up and get him back on the wheel.

I went and found you post in the linked thread. It is post 58 if anyone is interested. I remember that was an interesting thread. Your post 58 states very concisely what the New Advent link in all its complicated glory says.

Maybe I'm just not familiar with the terminology, but this seems like such a huge and unfathomable topic, I can't imagine how one would go about teaching it.

It does make me think of these somewhat similar topics, for which I know there are a lot of resources out there:

• How God reveals Himself to us in the world, through natural and supernatural revelation
  • How God allows us to share in His Presence through the sacraments
  • The Church as Mystical Body of Christ
  • "Practicing the Presence of God" as a spiritual path

But I'm not sure if any of them gets at what you're looking for. I hope you're able to find what you need.

Thanks a bunch. I was simply given topics to cover and need to come up with my own resources. It is a new program with a new person in charge and a very limited budget.

I think your first point comes straight out of the CCC so I can reference that. Thanks. I think I want to include some Catholic social teachings in the topic also.

Every Orthodox liturgy I've ever attended had most folks "doing their own thing" during liturgy just like most of the EF masses I've attended. I've been to liturgy in Russia, France and the States and in all three people would light candles, pray privately and sometimes even just chat with each other. At least that's my experience with the Russian church. At the Antiochan church here in town where we go occasionally there are a lot more Anglo converts and a lot more vocal participation in the liturgy, but plenty of people are still only "passively" participating.

When we attend the Extraordinary Form, my husband - a convert from protestantism - prefers to say the responses in the missal, I prefer to just unite my prayers with those of the priest. Other converts I've seen also make an attempt to participate.

Now at the Ukrainian Rite, we all participate, but that's because there's less than a dozen of us there and so we're the choir. DH even participates reading the cyrillic without understanding a single word he's saying :001_wub: . Oddly enough, I'm the only one who attends Divine Liturgy during the once a month that it is offered who attends a Roman parish the rest of the time. When I see my fellow Eastern Riters at the Orthodox church (where they all attend the rest of the time - this sort of hopping from East to West is fairly common in Ukraine) they aren't participating in the liturgy.

I'm sure somebody else will give a theological explanation, but I've come to conclude it's mostly an ethnic thing.

Wow! How great is it that you live within range of such a variety of churches to attend.

It does make it difficult to find a permanent home though. We're technically members of a novus ordo parish that we love. We've got a great relationship with the priests and over the years have built friendships with other parishioners. We really only started attending the TLM because DH started studying Latin. So, we attend that every once in a while. Once a month there's the Divine Liturgy. Combine that with the fact that we travel a lot, it seems like we never attend the same parish two weeks in a row, which makes it hard to be part of a community. Something is going to have to change pretty soon so that we're not parish hopping all the time.

Yeah,I can see how there could be drawbacks. But coming from someone who lives in the middle of nowhere and has for most of my adult life it sounds lovely to have so many choices.

Every Orthodox liturgy I've ever attended had most folks "doing their own thing" during liturgy just like most of the EF masses I've attended. I've been to liturgy in Russia, France and the States and in all three people would light candles, pray privately and sometimes even just chat with each other. At least that's my experience with the Russian church. At the Antiochan church here in town where we go occasionally there are a lot more Anglo converts and a lot more vocal participation in the liturgy, but plenty of people are still only "passively" participating.

When we attend the Extraordinary Form, my husband - a convert from protestantism - prefers to say the responses in the missal, I prefer to just unite my prayers with those of the priest. Other converts I've seen also make an attempt to participate.

Now at the Ukrainian Rite, we all participate, but that's because there's less than a dozen of us there and so we're the choir. DH even participates reading the cyrillic without understanding a single word he's saying :001_wub: . Oddly enough, I'm the only one who attends Divine Liturgy during the once a month that it is offered who attends a Roman parish the rest of the time. When I see my fellow Eastern Riters at the Orthodox church (where they all attend the rest of the time - this sort of hopping from East to West is fairly common in Ukraine) they aren't participating in the liturgy.

I'm sure somebody else will give a theological explanation, but I've come to conclude it's mostly an ethnic thing.

Jealousy (on my part) would be an understatement.....;-p

So. How does that fly when all of you Eastern Rites show op at the Orthodox church? Because I'm thinking there would be some bristling going on here. And I love the fact that the ER feel free enough to attend.

Wanna do a Catholic themed reading challenge for 2013? This might be cheating a bit because I tend to do a lot of Catholic related reading anyway, but I thought it might fun to do an official reading challenge for next year. I noticed both Robin of Mytwoblessings and Jean of Howling Frog Books have both posted in this thread! Wanna brainstorm with me? Like maybe have 10 books out of the 52 that have to be Catholic in some way. Maybe read 1 saint biography, 1 book on theology, 1 book written by a pope, maybe a couple of novels written by well known Catholic authors (Chesterton, Flannery O'Conner, Waugh, Grahame Greene, etc.), maybe try to read completely an Old Testament book and a New Testament book, 1 book that focuses on contemporary Catholic issues, 1 book on history, 1 book a contemporary Catholic author (Kreeft, Martin, Hahn, etc).

Hm, that sounds like fun. 10 would be a LOT of Catholic reading for me though, since I'm not Catholic. But I have St. Theresa and St. Francis on my TBR pile anyway...those are some good categories, maybe I would try to pick 5 or something.

Those authors? Sign me up.

Hi

I was not part of the social group before, but would love to join when it returns. Adding some of the recommended Catholic books sounds wonderful! I have been feeling for some time now that I need to invest more into growing my faith. I was born and raised Catholic and am active in my parish with children (CCD, VBS, Christmas pageant), but have not done any adult ed.

Looking forward to some great discussions.

Sounds like an interesting idea, Faith and I'd like to do something like that. Most of the non fiction reads I have on my list are catholic or faith based. I like the categories you came up with and can't think of any others.

I already have:

Echoing Silence: Thomas Merton on the Vocation of Writing

Life of Prayer - St Teresa

Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis

Mother Teresa, Come Be My Light

The Apostles - Pope Benedict XVI

Three Philosophies of Life - Peter Kreeft

Can C.S. Lewis (a fellow Anglican) be my entry ticket to participating? I was raised Catholic, baptized and confirmed Catholic, whole family is Catholic, but I'm now Anglican. Am I banned? I would go to the Anglican social group, but there isn't one. :D

I've been to liturgy in Russia, France and the States and in all three people would light candles, pray privately and sometimes even just chat with each other. At least that's my experience with the Russian church. At the Antiochan church here in town where we go occasionally there are a lot more Anglo converts and a lot more vocal participation in the liturgy, but plenty of people are still only "passively" participating.

I know you put "passively" in quotation marks, so I'm not meaning to disagree with what you're saying. :) But it's important to remember that active participation comes more from our interior disposition, and our overall awareness of the significance of the liturgy, than it does from our "matching" the specific external things that are going on at any given moment. So, some of the people who are lighting candles could be participating more actively than some of the people who are praying along with the others. I think this is what Violet Crown was getting at.

(Not that I'm a fan of people wandering all over the church. Apart from anything else, it makes it harder to teach my children to stay in one place!)

But your post also gets to another significant point: converts are likely to approach the liturgy with a different emphasis from lifelong members who are doing things based on long-standing local practices. This is partly due to the converts' having studied the liturgy in some abstract and ideal form, in the process of choosing it over some alternative(s). And it's partly due to existing cultural preferences that they're bringing with them. Here's an interesting piece about this from an Antiochan Orthodox web site.

In a similar way, in TLM communities, I've met quite a few elderly people and "cradle traditionalists" who seem to prefer the standard mid-20th century American pattern of a quiet low mass with a hymn at the end. That's not surprising, as it's what they're used to -- and like any traditional society, they hold to what's been handed down to them through generations (traditio) and tend to be suspicious of change. Even if the Church has pretty clearly established that a given practice isn't really desirable, and started out as a "cutting off the end of the ham" issue.

Our task is to make the effort to get along and be respectful, with this and other issues where we might legitimately disagree. (This is going to be an even greater challenge if & when the SSPX reconciles.)

In a very real sense, we need the old-timers more than they need us. Any literate person can get book knowledge, but a living Christian cultural tradition is irreplaceable.

I don't think the Orthodox priest realizes that they are receiving in both Churches.

You're right, I imagine. They oughtn't be. The Orthodox priest should be made aware if that's happening.

I've learned a lot from this thread, thank you!

Elinor Everywhere, as someone with a soft spot for Anglicans, I say yes! Come on in! We'll read some T. S. Eliot, Kingsley, and Sayers, too along with Lewis. Of course I am not running this group so maybe I am overstepping boundaries, but I enjoy all those authors and find they are enriching spiritually.

Hi

I was not part of the social group before, but would love to join when it returns. Adding some of the recommended Catholic books sounds wonderful! I have been feeling for some time now that I need to invest more into growing my faith. I was born and raised Catholic and am active in my parish with children (CCD, VBS, Christmas pageant), but have not done any adult ed.

Looking forward to some great discussions.

You'd be welcome.

It's a moot point in the US because I've only been to one church in the US that had no pews.

I'm beginning to think my OCA parish is in the minority. Our priest would never allow talking during the service. He doesn't even allow talking in the church. If he hears talking in the church he says, "Sssshhhh, we pray in church. We talk outside." after the service while the candles are being put out, etc. Also, we don't have pews.

(why did you have to change your name? why?)

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/442709-why-did-so-many-of-you-change-your-names-i-am-confused-and-overchanged-as-it-is/#entry4512085

Elinor Everywhere, as someone with a soft spot for Anglicans, I say yes! Come on in! We'll read some T. S. Eliot, Kingsley, and Sayers, too along with Lewis. Of course I am not running this group so maybe I am overstepping boundaries, but I enjoy all those authors and find they are enriching spiritually.

Anglicans welcome in my book!

I'm beginning to think my OCA parish is in the minority. Our priest would never allow talking during the service. He doesn't even allow talking in the church. If he hears talking in the church he says, "Sssshhhh, we pray in church. We talk outside." after the service while the candles are being put out, etc. Also, we don't have pews.

I think it varies by region or something. I've been to several parishes, and pews (or any kind of chairs lined up) is in the minority. I think I've been to one parish that has pews. And our priest, and the one in the next town over, shushes, too. :)

You're welcome. Thanks for giving me the nudge.

I looked back and didn't see the original post where it talked about someone receiving the Eucharist at both the RC and EO church. Maybe I misunderstood? My apologies if so.

It was my post. It's partly speculation, of course...

Got it! I did see that one, I just thought maybe you meant they were attending but not necessarily receiving the sacrament. That is a grave concern, from what I understand about my fairly-new Orthodox belief. Do they know they ought not receive? We had an Eastern Rite Catholic from the Ukraine attend our parish for some time a couple of years ago, but he never received the Eucharist. Ultimately I know it's not my concern, but if I knew I shouldn't be receiving a sacrament at such-and-such church, I'd hope I'd honor that.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled CTT discussion.

Can C.S. Lewis (a fellow Anglican) be my entry ticket to participating? I was raised Catholic, baptized and confirmed Catholic, whole family is Catholic, but I'm now Anglican. Am I banned? I would go to the Anglican social group, but there isn't one. :D

They haven't kicked me out yet! I still consider myself RC, but had my children baptized, and they are being raised, in an Episcopalian church.

I've got a question for those of you who prefer TLM. Is there a catechism for adults that's the equivalent of the Baltimore Catechism? Also, is there a history of the development of the mass? I'm especially looking for something that's written by a Catholic equivalent of Jaroslav Pelikan (whose works I highly recommend for everyone to read!).

Klauser's Short History of the Western Liturgy is the one I hear about, but I haven't read it myself.

I think the #4 Baltimore Catechism is supposed to be the teenager/adult level.