Menu

Math Lessons for a Living Education. Does anyone use this?

Ruthie in MS

I'm really thinking about using Math Lessons for a Living Education by Queen Homeschool next year for dd6 and dd8 (dd8 would use book 4 that is going to be released soon). I really like that it has a story element to it and I really don't want to use Life of Fred (I've just read posts about it being a little too harsh for sensitive children and want to avoid that). We definitely are a living math family and I thought that Math Lessons for a Living Education would be a great fit but for $39.95 for one consumable book-- it sounds expensive. I wasn't planning on it being the mail source of our math, just a quick and fun supplement.

If you are using or have used the books in this series I would really love to know what you think about them and how your children responded to them. Thanks!!

I used it last year with my 7yr. old. and really liked it. I would have continued but I have so many math books that I decided to use what we have already. The second and third books look so good too.

The price is a bit steep but I have paid more for math in the past :blushing: . You can also order it at Rainbow Resource as well. The shipping might be cheaper.

I'm sorry I'm not help but I wanted to give you a bump ;)

• 3 months later...

I am interested too, as my dd's copy is about to arrive tomorrow or Tue. The only things that have worked for her so far is Arithmetic Village and LOF. Both having stories and the former having the hands on. This is an approach my dd can connect with. She enjoys things like Storm the Castle and other math games, but I have to have something to keep me on track or I wander off and loose my way. Math Lessons for a Living Education has both elements, and is cheaper than LOF. Consumable yes, but considering I won't need a TE that is less money spent. And it last for an entire year. We are blowing through LOF books in 2 weeks!

Even though my dd is well past MLFLE book 1 we are starting there. It will give her the background story and help her to gain confidence. I will also be making the *right brained* cards posted at Angela O'Dell's (the author) blog. I fill this was EXACTLY what my dd needed to help her memorize those facts.

In case anyone is interested, book 4 has been released.

So if anyone else has used this I would love to hear your testimony! Glad to hear Homeschooling6's testimony! I know a lady who used to come her by the name of CIndi (I think I spelled that right?) used it in the past and loved it!

There is not much info on what will happen with the series. Only 4 years worth are currently available. This is all we know so far. But there is a contact button where you can email Angela with your questions. She is very nice and quick to respond from what I remember of my past experience.

As far as I can tell from the samples I don't see many ways to work the problems. The use of manipulatives is encouraged.

The consumer/economics book 8 sounds very oldschool, and similar to vintage books and the more recently OOP Arithmetic Made Simple.

I'm not able to teach math well unless I see the entire series, or at least several levels. It would be $160.00 to buy the first 4 books.

The samples look like they combine many of the methods I like to use all in one place. I struggle to use more than one math at a time, because of the lack of organization and context that my seizures cause. The series and links to supplemental ideas are all appear to be geared towards visual learners, which I am. The few samples that I saw looked like they could be easily converted towards notebooking and copywork instead of filling out the workbook. Sometimes I use workbooks as my TM, because I am such a visual learner, but then I convert the material to more auditory and hands on activities for my students. I loved using the Evan-Moore Daily Science even though none of my students ever completed a workbook page.

I actually sometimes have students who are reassured by stories and pictures geared towards young children instead of being insulted by them. But the copywork and other lessons look like I could use them with just some of the key points of the story mentioned, without reading or even talking about the story itself. It's the spoon feeding of the copywork and skip counting and other activities that is most attracting me. And the possibility that this is a bit oldschool in scope and sequence. I was thinking maybe it could could organize me, more than being directly used with students.

The books are spiral bound and not that big?

I can't justify spending $160.00 right now though, for a partial series that I don't know more about where it is heading, never mind if it will ever be finished.