Menu

DD9 wants "LOTS of science stuff" for Christmas - what would you include?

lisabees

DD9 is becoming increasingly interested in science. She loves working with her Snap Circuits, reading George's Secret Key books, watching SciGirls, Magic School Bus, Design Squad and Royal Institutions Christmas Lectures. She attends ps, so we do not follow a curriculum or do science experiments.

I know I should get some science kits, but I don't know which ones. Or is it better to get a book of experiments that she could do with stuff around the house? Is there anything that can help her start thinking like a scientist? Maybe a journal?

She doesn't seem to favor one branch of science over another - although she loves engineering. So I'm open to everything. Oh - I did buy her legos.

Thank you in advance!

Which Snap Circuits kit do you have? Maybe you can get her a bigger one or a different one. They have one on green energy I've been eyeballing. There are little kits that turn soda cans and such into robots that look cute. A good microscope and slide set would be nice.

We had great fun with the Janice VanCleave books, specifically the 200, 201, 202 etc series. The experiments use household items and each book is divided into 5 sections: astronomy, biology, chemistry, earth science and physics (some of these areas are more 'experiment-y' than others, if that makes sense).

Here is a link to one in the series and it has a 'look inside' option so you can see the table of contents and sample experiments: http://www.amazon.com/Janice-VanCleaves-Sticky-Wonderful-Experiments/dp/0471331015/ref=pd_sim_b_35

As far as supplies, 'official' beakers and stuff are fun but we've gotten a lot of mileage out of resale store drinking glasses and such. Having dedicated measuring cups and spoons is helpful. As is a dedicated box/place to store items.

If it were me, I'd find a book I liked and then get the supplies for several experiments and mark each with a post it tab. We started doing experiments and as we got supplies put them in a storage box marked science. The next time we needed a juice glass or a pop bottle for an experiment we checked the box first and ended up reusing a lot of the same items.

Someone here on the board once shared about making a kid-sized lab coat from a white man-sized dress shirt. It sounded really cute!

I hope this helps!

If it were me, I'd find a book I liked and then get the supplies for several experiments and mark each with a post it tab. We started doing experiments and as we got supplies put them in a storage box marked science. The next time we needed a juice glass or a pop bottle for an experiment we checked the box first and ended up reusing a lot of the same items.

I hope this helps!

This is sort of what my daughters did for my then-8 yo son last year for Christmas: they picked out a book of simple experiments, collected the materials for nearly every experiment in the book, and packaged it all in a big cardboard box. That way, he was able to do the experiments without my having to put down the bonbons to track down fishing line or an aluminum pie plate. I think they added some lab goggles. He did a lot of the experiments, but not all, so I am glad nothing was terribly expensive.

Terri

We're getting DS the Snap Circuit rover, the Discover electronics kit from Sparkle Labs, a Thames and Kosmos chemistry set and a learn to solder circuits kit. The kid didn't have any non-science related toys on his list this year at all!

I looked up the Sparkle Labs set, but I can't figure it out. What's the age range? Our ds6 loves science, but he's only 6.5. Not sure if the items on your list are appropriate for him.

Tammy, It probably depends on the kid and the experience he has with it. My son (7) has already begun doing simple wiring so this is the next logical step for him. It really depends on how patient he is working with small parts to assemble something and good his fine motor skills are. I think the kit is rated for 8 or 9+. The Sparkle Labs site also has a section with video lessons for using the kit. You can view the lessons at the link below, which may give you more of an idea on if it's appropriate. Hope that helps!

http://learn.sparklelabs.com/electronics/

This is sort of what my daughters did for my then-8 yo son last year for Christmas: they picked out a book of simple experiments, collected the materials for nearly every experiment in the book, and packaged it all in a big cardboard box. That way, he was able to do the experiments without my having to put down the bonbons to track down fishing line or an aluminum pie plate. I think they added some lab goggles. He did a lot of the experiments, but not all, so I am glad nothing was terribly expensive.

Terri

Great idea Terri and Happi Duck. LOVE the lab coat idea - off to search for that. She may get a kick out of it. :)

My kids go CRAZY for all of the things in this kit. You just missed a 25% off sale!

http://www.stevespan...duct/larrys-lab

Seriously, seriously fun though.

ETA: His books are fantastic too. He makes science fun, fun, fun.

Yes, I know I missed the big sale. I just wasn't sure!!! Guess I should have talked to you and moonlight first!

Great small electronics stuff in the maker shed:

http://www.makershed.com/

Look for some of the small beginner kits.

Very, very cool stuff!! Thank you for sharing!

I requested some Thames & Kosmos kits from the grandparents for xmas - they do so much better when given specific directions!! Miss P is getting Milestones in Science, and Mo is getting Crystals & Gems. I really, really want to get us a microscope, but can't afford it.

But I thought Thames and Kosmos didn't have good instructions. We have the physics set that was extremely frustrating. Maybe they fixed this problem and created better instructions?

We're getting DS the Snap Circuit rover, the Discover electronics kit from Sparkle Labs, a Thames and Kosmos chemistry set and a learn to solder circuits kit. The kid didn't have any non-science related toys on his list this year at all!

Sounds like he'll have a fun holiday!

I requested some Thames & Kosmos kits from the grandparents for xmas - they do so much better when given specific directions!! Miss P is getting Milestones in Science, and Mo is getting Crystals & Gems. I really, really want to get us a microscope, but can't afford it.

We just started the Milestones in Science kit and my dd is really loving it. :)

I know you mentioned physics stuff, but how about a microscope? Or a telescope? Is she a collector? You can get specimen display cases.

There have been a bunch of engineering toy threads. Rivka's blog Tinderbox just had this post which links to some other lists of engineering stuff for girls specifically. I really like marble runs for engineering. We have the Haba one, but there are others. And there's a cool paper one you can get. And there's the Engino stuff and if she's outgrowing the Snap Circuits, then it could be time to move to Arduino (the Sparkfun listed above).

Aaaack! There are so many amazing ideas here. Thank you! That paper marble run is awesome. And I had never heard of Engino or Zorb or other products in this thread. We do have a telescope; she doesn't collect anything (other than stuffed animals and books). But she would probably love it. I am not sure if I should encourage a certain collection or not.

Now I am overwhelmed...

As for collecting, you may want to do some looking at The Private Eye site.

http://www.theprivateeyestore.com/servlet/StoreFront

I bought the Do It Yourself World in a Box for my daughter and she filled it with nature finds. She's artsy so she lined the boxes it with various colors of felt. She added a little vial to preserve a spider and did things like a mushroom spore print. It would be a great tool to start a collection that will take place over time.

I know you mentioned physics stuff, but how about a microscope? Or a telescope? Is she a collector? You can get specimen display cases.

There have been a bunch of engineering toy threads. Rivka's blog Tinderbox just had this post which links to some other lists of engineering stuff for girls specifically. I really like marble runs for engineering. We have the Habaone, but there are others. And there's a cool paper one you can get. And there's the Engino stuff and if she's outgrowing the Snap Circuits, then it could be time to move to Arduino (the Sparkfun listed above).

We have the Haba one, and have added to it for several years, costing us a few hundred dollars. But start out small, and keep it for your grandchildren.

I saved enough, um, toilet paper tubes, to start a marble one. I think it was Stripe who linked a picture of one supported with popsicle sticks.

246501779574552422_Sbs7t0PS_b.jpg

My ds also wants "lots of science stuff" and even though we have several experiment books I'm terrible about rounding up all of the supplies to actually make it happen. We tried one Magic School Bus kit purchased off of Amazon and I was very pleased with it. Home School Buyer's Co-Op currently has a 50% off deal to receive one Magic School Bus kit per month for a year. You might check those out if you're not already familiar with them.