Menu

New Canada in the 20th Century High School Curriculum

Off to check alberta program of studies and see if this will be enough to cover the social studies curric for their diploma. I want to do what we do and not do alberta correspondance courses, so any I can find that can work for a grade 12 level so they can write the diploma exam works for me. The cost would be worth it just to avoid being forced to do 3 years of someone else's social program. We want to do the history we want to do, but to write the diploma exam we would do this course and pay the fee...then again my funding would cover it so we would not actually be out anything.

I ordered it for after Christmas. You can get a one year subscription to the text for $15. The kicker here is that I all ready have the texts that are used in both the public high school courses. I wouldn't bother except I don't think we did a very good job of history with ds16 and ds14 needs some very structured lessons and tests if he's going to get through.

I found a lot of the extra material in the library or on amazon.ca cheaper than Donna Ward can offer. A couple of things I couldn't find, we'll just do without.

I'd love to hear from someone who beta tested it.

RobinL - I'd be interested in hearing about the younger courses, esp. Canada My Country. I'm thinking about doing it with my youngers.

ETA I don't love Can. history much either. I swore I wouldn't teach my kids years and years of explorers ad nauseum.

RobinL - I'd be interested in hearing about the younger courses, esp. Canada My Country. I'm thinking about doing it with my youngers.

I have the Canada- My Country book, I used it as a checklist and built my own plan using the Canadian government history website and googled elementary worksheets. We'll be watching Canada: A people's history at the elementary and high school levels.