Menu

My 8 yo had his repeat eeg and now I am confused.

and the Dr said that on this one the activity was located only on the R side of his brain where last time it was equal on the L and R. He said this might mean a change in diagnosis ( he had been diagnosed with Generalized Tonic-clonic seizures) or it might mean the meds are working as they are meant too. He didn't really explain it well and told me not to worry ( ya right lol) but did say that we will have to watch and see how this affects his learning ability. I tried googling and it''s confusing.

Any idea what all this could mean?

Was the EEG medicated or not. An hour long or overnight?

He took his lamictal in the morning, but no other meds. It was just a regular day time eeg, but we had to keep him uplate/wake him early, which is exactly the same as the first eeg except the first time he was on no medication.

seizure can change by becoming worse/better or one can have *different types of seizures* concurrently.

I would continue on the med/s and in 3 months request/insist for another eeg. The other one. There are two: ambulatory and sleep-deprived.

Also, our n told us that both testing procedures help to balance the other out. So, have them give N. both types of eeg's. What one lacks the other will pick up. This is important to remember. Hopefully you'll see consistency in time.

With R. she'll have each type of eeg about 2 times a year and the n suggested to alternate thet tests. HTH. Sheryl

I will be the broken record here but has he had his Lamictal level checked? Some doctors don't check it but our neurologist and psychiatrist both check levels.

I would want to make sure the Lamictal was at the proper dose to be the most effective. My 11dd takes 87.5mg/day while my 12dd takes 625mg/day and they are almost identical in size.

I will be the broken record here but has he had his Lamictal level checked? Some doctors don't check it but our neurologist and psychiatrist both check levels.

I would want to make sure the Lamictal was at the proper dose to be the most effective. My 11dd takes 87.5mg/day while my 12dd takes 625mg/day and they are almost identical in size.

Can being on too high or too low have caused the seizure pattern to change? I am going to call about having his levels tested again.

Ireally don't know. We don't have EEGs that often. We just do blood levels when my kids show problems and adjust from there. Then when the levels are good the problems go away.

At times I wish we could have a week long EEG just to see what is going on. We have done several 24 hour ones though.

Can being on too high or too low have caused the seizure pattern to change? I am going to call about having his levels tested again.

Ireally don't know. We don't have EEGs that often. We just do blood levels when my kids show problems and adjust from there. Then when the levels are good the problems go away.

At times I wish we could have a week long EEG just to see what is going on. We have done several 24 hour ones though.

OK, thanks. I will give him a call tomororw. I have been in and out all day today.