Menu

Great Courses Holiday Countdown

Yes, I am beginning to feel like the neighborhood pusher. "Come here my pretties, and look at the wonderful deal Great Courses has today!."

So apparently there is going to be an outrageous deal every day as we count down to the holidays. Today's deal is that very slick looking 36 lecture forensics course.

I think I will post the the deal every day in this thread as well as any other codes we can come up. Remember, those free shipping ones are most helpful since shipping is $10 a pop if you need to hold the real product in your hot little hand.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I am beginning to feel like the neighborhood pusher. "Come here my pretties, and look at the wonderful deal Great Courses has today!."

LOL! That was the funniest thing I read all day. Thanks for the laugh! And thanks for hooking me up. I need a Great Courses fix. ;)

Remember, those free shipping ones are most helpful since shipping is $10 a pop if you need to hold the real product in your hot little hand.

Does anyone HAVE a free shipping code? I see a few courses I want to buy for Christmas presents.

Pretty in Pink supplied the following code for $10 off: TG67.

I just picked up the 24 lecture series by Professor Weinstein for Masterworks for Early 20th Century literature for $9.95 for digital download.

A couple of years ago when I first started down the TC addiction road, I had the audacity to ask a long-time board member what lectures she had. Now I completely understand her reluctance to share her list. :tongue_smilie:

A couple of years ago when I first started down the TC addiction road, I had the audacity to ask a long-time board member what lectures she had. Now I completely understand her reluctance to share her list. :tongue_smilie:

If you have to ask for a list, you're not one of us. Not yet.

;)

ETA: I received a beautiful PM from a fellow board member. She wrote such a kind and thoughtful note. So I need to come on here and edit my response. I wrote this as a joke to Swimmer/Lisa. (I know, I know. No jokes on message boards. They don't work. Neither do self-deprecating comments.) In this joke, "us" refers in a negative sense to the hoards of us who have become obsessed with TC lectures. Some of "us" routinely shop from the sale catalog when we have oodles of courses on our shelves that are still in shrink wrap. It's not right. We're not right. You could claim that we're nuts. Obsessed.

In this kind, generous email, this dear board member indicated that I have left the impression that if you don't have a ton of TC courses, then you are not a member of the educated elite on this board.

Oh, dang.

So once again, I've botched it. When I say not "one of us", I am referring to the ranks of folks who are obsessed to the point of ridiculous with the Teaching Company. Those of us who have gone off the deep end, won't share the list of courses that we own. We'll tell you which are the best and point you toward our favorites, but we would never share our complete list. If we did, you would stop listening to us. Obsessed people are not to be followed. They're unbalanced. (That was a joke too. *grin!*)

Actually, in real life, I don't think I have met one educated person (post bachelor's degree) who has heard of the Teaching Company.

Peace,

Janice

P.S. Don't ask me how many are still in shrink wrap. I won't tell. :-)

•  

It says the 70% off sale will end soon. Does anyone have any idea of how soon? I am not sure if I should get one of the 70% sale items or wait to see more of the outrageous deals.

There will always (as in absolutely guaranteed) be the next 70% off sale... usually a few weeks later. Judging from the emails and catalogs I get, they are a semi-permanent fixture ;-)

I tried to stick my fingers in my ears and scream, "LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, I can't hear you!"

Instead, I ended up buying Vandiver's lectures on the Odyssey on digital download. I read the Magic Tree House version of "Tales of the Odyssey" to one of the boys when he was in elementary, then the Children's Homer, a while back, so now that I have two in high school and one doing some high school level work, I figured, I'll read the real thing to the whole family and we'll watch the lectures together. Dh is great with literary discussions so if I assign some writing, I can easily work it into next semester's literary studies for credit.

Sigh, I am such a sucker! DH is going to take the internet away from me for the rest of the holiday season if I keep it up.

Faith

:lurk5:

I just picked up the Art of Argumentation today at a library sale ($2, but it is on cassette). We are big fans of Great Courses. I really wish that Professor Lynnwood would do some additional high school level history series!

What a great deal. You can't lose for $2 even on cassette.

It says the 70% off sale will end soon. Does anyone have any idea of how soon? I am not sure if I should get one of the 70% sale items or wait to see more of the outrageous deals.

"70% off" is basically the regular price — they just rotate which courses are "on sale" at any given time. The sets of courses that count as "70% off" often overlap, and different customers will even get emails with codes for different sets of courses at the same time. There is a Priority Code (numbers) at the bottom of each email and on the front of each catalog, and that's what determines which courses appear "on sale" when you go to the website. There is usually also a Coupon Code (letters), which may have an extra discount, or free shipping. I always google for discount codes before I buy anything there, and I can usually find free shipping or an extra 10% off (which usually works out to the same thing). Retailmenot.com is usually good for extra codes.

I don't recommend buying a course until you need it, unless you find a deal for better than the standard 70% off. I can't tell you how many courses I bought, only to have them end up at 80% or even 90% off before I'd even opened the shrink wrap. I no longer buy anything unless I have at least a free shipping code, and the last courses I bought were an extra 20% off plus free shipping. Before that I think it was buy 2, get one free. Many of the better deals involve either a minimum purchase (e.g., free shipping over $100) or some sort of BOGO deal, so I keep a running list of the courses I want, with a note about how bad I want them and how soon I'm likely to use them. That way I can take advantage of the BOGOs and minimum purchase deals. I got Vandiver's Aeneid as an audio download for $5 a couple of years ago (it was on special for $15 and I had a $10-off-any-order coupon), and I once got 3 very expensive sets as a buy-2-get-1-free deal, which saved over $200.

Jackie (one of the nutcases Janice referred to :tongue_smilie: )

So once again, I've botched it. When I say not "one of us", I am referring to the ranks of folks who are obsessed to the point of ridiculous with the Teaching Company. Those of us who have gone off the deep end, won't share the list of courses that we own. We'll tell you which are the best and point you toward our favorites, but we would never share our complete list. If we did, you would stop listening to us. Obsessed people are not to be followed. They're unbalanced. (That was a joke too. *grin!*)

Actually, in real life, I don't think I have met one educated person (post bachelor's degree) who has heard of the Teaching Company.

Peace,

Janice

P.S. Don't ask me how many are still in shrink wrap. I won't tell. :-)

•  

There was a good deal on the Vandiver courses a while back & so I got the Odyssey.

My husband was looking through our box of courses and happened to notice that I now had two copies of it. :blushing:

I gave the shrinkwrapped copy to a friend, and my husband is now thrilled at being able to mock me for my TC purchases.

I don't have enough courses to have a list (although maybe I should have kept a list), but I would think I now qualify as "one of us" :smilielol5:

(FTR, I didn't read your post in a nasty way)

Today's outrageous deal is Physiology and Fitness.

Can you tell me what the price on this deal is when you use your link? I keep getting tons of Teaching Company emails, but none of them mention an "outrageous deal of the day" like your link does. I thought we would know about all of the deals because of the amount of money my dh has spent at TTC.

Can you tell me what the price on this deal is when you use your link? I keep getting tons of Teaching Company emails, but none of them mention an "outrageous deal of the day" like your link does. I thought we would know about all of the deals because of the amount of money my dh has spent at TTC.

Kelly, my link shows it listed as $49.95 and that being the lowest price of the year. So if you use the $10 coupon, it would be $40 for your digital download or free shipping on the discs.

If you need priority codes and/or coupon codes, check retailmenot. I was looking at a set that was already on sale for 89.95, and I found a priority code plus a coupon code that brought the price with shipping down to 45.95. Even though retailmenot lists them all as coupon codes, the ones with just numbers are priority codes, and the coupon codes have letters at the start. You can use one of each on the GC website. Here's a link to retailmenot's GC page: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/thegreatcourses.com

Thanks, Lisa. Dh is trying to make sure he is getting the best possible price. I have a feeling our collection will be increasing this month.

Mine has definitely increased this month. And last month...

I ordered three courses today. None of which were mentioned above.

If you need priority codes and/or coupon codes, check retailmenot. I was looking at a set that was already on sale for 89.95, and I found a priority code plus a coupon code that brought the price with shipping down to 45.95. Even though retailmenot lists them all as coupon codes, the ones with just numbers are priority codes, and the coupon codes have letters at the start. You can use one of each on the GC website. Here's a link to retailmenot's GC page: http://www.retailmen...reatcourses.com

Just be careful. I once managed to enter a priority code that caused the total to increase! :scared:

It took me a while to figure out how to get rid of it too.

Janice,

Oh dear! I never thought that teasing about a TTC "addiction" would mean that someone was not a member of the "educated elite" on this board. Most of the people that I know on this board that have extensive TTC collections are people who have homeschooled for a long time, have homeschooled high schoolers, and/or are life-long learners. That said, we each have our own "vices." Some people quilt, scrapbook, or knit and have extensive collections that could rival a TTC collection. in financial value.

My reasons for purchasing TTC lectures are numerous. They helped provide an alternate viewpoint from my own for my students. They give a homeschooled student the chance to experience a lecture situation and this can be accomplished with opencourse lectures as well or those from Annenberg Foundation. I appreciate that TTC lecturers are some of the best in their academic fields. For myself, I loved college and enjoy listening to lectures on my favorite topics. Also, I have mentioned this before, but my life involves a lot of very mundane tasks right now and listening to a TTC lecture while I complete those tasks, makes me less resentful and I feel more accomplished.

Nearly all of my TTC lectures have been listened to completely or at least in parts. I have a few recent purchases that are waiting their turn. I have learned to return any unused or unappreciated lectures to Great Course, but I think that has only happened twice.

I think those of us who love TTC and who get excited about their lectures appreciate having company. Not an elite company, just one that understands the siren call.

Corraleno,

Hey Jackie, thanks for sharing the purchasing information. It is really good to keep it all in mind. If you follow the ads long enough, you figure out that 70% off is probably not good enough unless you need the lecture now for a class. Also, I have picked up some great deals here on the board and occasionally on Amazon.

Faith,

I am really sorry. My inbox is inundated with offers, so I just figure I will throw them out here. :D After all, you all would do (and have done) the same for me.

Today's (12/4) deal

Masters of War: History's Greatest Strategic Thinkers - All options digital download or hard copy in audio or video are $34.95.

The free shipping code T3K8 will work through 12/11.

http://www.thegreatc...l.aspx?cid=9422

Jen, I am so glad someone else is on the ball. My emails don't come through until after noon on the West Coast.

Faith, oh Faith! I received a lovely black envelope from the Great Courses with the words "Exclusive Invitation Enclosed," which I automatically assume means that it must be shared...with all of you. :D

From now now, 12/4 until 12/9, ALL courses are on sale (priority code 72683) with $10 off on any order over$10.

Remember, it is better to go for free shipping using one of the above codes if you are ordering one or more hard copies.

As Jackie (Corraleno) said, there is always a deal.

I'm confused about the Transcript book. It's been awhile since I ordered (but not that long). I don't remember having to pay for it separately. Did they change it or did I forget?

Oh no, Jan. You do not want the transcript book.That is every word said in the lecture. The course, in whatever form you get, will come with a course guidebook that has a really good outline that can help you preview the course if you can't watch it with your student or that lets your student see what a good outline looks like. Save your dollars for the next sale. :tongue_smilie:

Which course were you looking at for John Hale? I just checked and several of them were on sale. We really like his Public Speaking one.

Try throwing a course you want in your basket, put the priority code in that I listed up above. At first, it will only show the $10 off, but if you stayed logged in like I do, you can take that course out of your basket and then start searching. Every course should then be on sale, although I think it may be only in the download options. Hope this helps.

Can I burn the digital copies to CD from itunes to listen in the car?

Call the Great Courses and explain what you want to do. Sometimes I want to call their customer service just because I can and they happen to be some of the most civilized people I have ever had the privillege of talking to.

The Deal of the Day is Mysteries of Modern Physics: Time for $34.95. It says there's only about 2 hours and 22 minutes left. This sale seems shorter.

I just ordered it a few minutes ago and the code was still good. That's the ONE course I definitely wanted before Christmas (DH specifically requested it) and I only just noticed the email a few minutes ago, so I was relieved that it still worked!

Jackie

I will not type "theteachingcompany.com" into the browser, I will not type "theteachingcompany.com" into the browser, I will not type "theteachingcompany.com" into the browser, .......

Brutal I tell you, brutal.

Gack, I want to order more, but I'm going to end up draining the checkbook of grocery money if I keep it up.

Faith

I will not type "theteachingcompany.com" into the browser, I will not type "theteachingcompany.com" into the browser, I will not type "theteachingcompany.com" into the browser, .......

Brutal I tell you, brutal.

Gack, I want to order more, but I'm going to end up draining the checkbook of grocery money if I keep it up.

Faith

Yep, I don't think my dh is going to believe that a stocking full of literature lectures from TTC is actually his. :tongue_smilie:

All these deals going on in December...in Dec. 2010, either closer to Christmas or right after, (pretty sure it was after) I found that prices were rock bottom for the year. As in 80-90% off almost everything. As in, I got the 96-lecture astronomy course by Filipenko (sp?) for around $130; not the normal $800, and not the normal sale price of $229. Along with that I got several other basic science courses for their rock-bottom prices of the year. And last year, they did the same thing. Maybe ya'll should be waiting? :D

p.s. They also still had free shipping codes during that sale - I just couldn't use them because I don't live in the States.

All these deals going on in December...in Dec. 2010, either closer to Christmas or right after, (pretty sure it was after) I found that prices were rock bottom for the year. As in 80-90% off almost everything. As in, I got the 96-lecture astronomy course by Filipenko (sp?) for around $130; not the normal $800, and not the normal sale price of $229. Along with that I got several other basic science courses for their rock-bottom prices of the year. And last year, they did the same thing. Maybe ya'll should be waiting? :D

Actually, the Filippenko Astronomy course is on sale right now (today's "Outrageous Deal") for $115. The daily deals have been really good; both courses I bought were 85% off, with free shipping, and they were quite new courses (the DaVinci one and the one on the Physics of Time), which can be harder to find good deals on.

Here are some current discount codes:

P7PB $10 off any order (worked for me last night)

These are from RetailMeNot, and are supposedly valid through 12/25:

T8MM 10% off $100

TRRB 15% off $150

H899 20% off $200

Jackie

Actually, the Filippenko Astronomy course is on sale right now (today's "Outrageous Deal") for $115. The daily deals have been really good; both courses I bought were 85% off, with free shipping, and they were quite new courses (the DaVinci one and the one on the Physics of Time), which can be harder to find good deals on.

Here are some current discount codes:

P7PB $10 off any order (worked for me last night)

These are from RetailMeNot, and are supposedly valid through 12/25:

T8MM 10% off $100

TRRB 15% off $150

H899 20% off $200

Jackie

$115?!?!?!?! Very cool!

You are the queen of tracking down the best deals at TTC, and the coupon codes. You were the one who helped me so much a couple of years ago.

If anyone's interested in Elizabeth Vandiver's Aeneid course, you can get the digital download right now for $16, and if you use the $10 off coupon P7PB, the total would be $6. :thumbup:

ETA: The English Novel course (24 lectures) is on sale for $20 in all formats, so the download is $10 with the discount code (which I know is still current because I just used it). :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

If anyone's interested in Elizabeth Vandiver's Aeneid course, you can get the digital download right now for $16, and if you use the $10 off coupon P7PB, the total would be $6. :thumbup:

ETA: The English Novel course (24 lectures) is on sale for $20 in all formats, so the download is $10 with the discount code (which I know is still current because I just used it). :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

There's one on sale that (from the description) I think every high schooler should go through. It's about privacy and the first Amendment. Kids live their whole life on the internet and who knows what kind of impact that will have in their future. I think it would be a good addition to my future government course.

Privacy, Property, and Free Speech: Law and the Constitution

Anyone seen that?

That course is brand new — as in, just posted today! It does seem really interesting, and the professor has quite a resume. I'm adding it to my wishlist.

Also brand new: The Art of Storytelling and Lost Civilizations of South America. :w00t:

ETA: There's a good chance there'll be a Human Geography course coming out soon; that was one of the professor "auditions" I was asked to listen to & rate, and I thought it was pretty good, so I hope they'll produce it. Every time I've gotten a survey from TC, I've complained about the lack of PreColumbian history and human geography courses, so I'm really excited about the new ones. And I hope the fact that the new PreColumbian course only covers South America means that there will be another course covering the Olmecs/Maya/Aztecs/etc.

Jackie

I just ordered this morning with a mystery discount that got me a free course. I got Ancient History in Global Perspective ($65 on sale) for free and the other two courses (Dante's Divine Comedy and Your Deceptive Mind) were also on sale.

My total was $159.90 with shipping.

The code was WRX6

I just ordered this morning with a mystery discount that got me a free course. I got Ancient History in Global Perspective ($65 on sale) for free and the other two courses (Dante's Divine Comedy and Your Deceptive Mind) were also on sale.

My total was $159.90 with shipping.

The code was WRX6

Darla, even without the sweet deal you got on the Ancient History and Global Perspective, it is a terrific course. Enjoy!