Menu

s/o from Discouraged, now organizing to have time for the components of your life

My library doesn't have any of these books. The librarian told me that if found in another library in the country they might be able to get it for me for Ă‚Â£3 ($5). Uhmmm...maybe I can find them second-hand in Amazon? In the meantime, brilliant thread. I can't believe how organised I was at work and now as I SAHM I'm a walking disaster.

Edited to say: Library emailed to say they put one of the books GTD on hold. They own copy was checked out and never returned but they found another copy in another library so I'm in the queue to read it. Yeah!

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question (because I cannot wait until I read the books :rolleyes: ) is what happens when you get off schedule if something comes up or whatever. Do you just "skip" whatever was supposed to occur during those times or push stuff back or what?

Generally speaking, the essentials get pushed back and non-essentials get skipped.

Ok, here is a hang-up I have and perhaps you all that have already been working on this can give me your insight. How do you include school-time in your schedule? We have a long morning block, then a break, then lunch, then a short block of school, then a break, then occasionally a third block. The lengths of the blocks changes, so it is hard to know if I am going to have time to make lunch, move laundry and clean the living room, or just make lunch. I checked out the books Kristina recommended in the OP but I haven't read them yet. I'm just curious about hearing how other people handle it.

The way I try to organize my day is to pretend that when we start school, I am "at work" and unavailable for chores. Yes, sometimes school works out in a way that enables me to get a few things done during school hours (mostly during documentaries :D), but I do not schedule it because it would just frustrate me if I couldn't. Do not set yourself up for failure. When I am able to squeeze in a chore or two throughout the day, that just leaves me with more free time later. If I can't, no biggie, because I've set aside official chore time. I do half an hour of chores in the morning, before school starts. I typically do one load of laundry per day, also before school starts. I make, serve, and clean up breakfast just before we begin every day. The kids also do their morning chores before breakfast and "chore check" is part of our morning meeting, the first order of business on our daily school schedule. I do another half hour of chores later in the day.

We have one big block of group time in the morning, when we do our content subjects. We always end this period with a project of some sort, usually art. I get them started on this project, put on some tunes for music appreciation (two birds and all that ;) ), and make lunch while they finish the project. Lunch is simple so I usually have time to eat then too. Then while they're eating, I read aloud. After lunch, I work with each kiddo one-on-one while the other two go off and play, read, do independent work, practice instruments, etc. After this, we have tea time and my "work" day is finished and I "go home." :D Some days my schedule is to do the 30 minutes of chores right after school, sometimes we have swim team, sometimes I veg, sometimes I exercise... Depends on how I built my schedule for that day.

I've made this sound very rigid, I suppose, by saying how I did it like a robot in the beginning. The thing is that once you have your schedule in place, once your balls are accounted for and put away properly, there is so much peace and flexibility. Right now I'm sipping iced tea and typing while DS6 does his math page next to me, DS9 plays guitar in his room, and DD is making Christmas crafts. :)

I started reading this thread days ago, then I had my gall bladder out

Oh my! Go easy on yourself!

Kristina, you don't live anywhere near the East Coast, do you? I would seriously pay you to come and help me do what you described and get all set up. If you have some more time, can you tell us about the tools you use to do your schedules/calendars etc.? I've been working with Evernote to try to get everything in my brain down before it vanishes forever. (Pinterest is too photo-oriented for me--I needed something that worked better with words rather than so much with pictures.)

Oh, gosh, no. I'm way west. LOL You are sweet though. I don't know how well it would work for anyone to try to organize someone else's life though, you know? I know all the nitty-gritty details about each of my kids, my DH, and myself to make it work but I think it would be much harder to try to do the same thing for someone else.

I use pencil and paper mostly. I do make schedules on Excel. A little birdy told me I'm getting an iPad for Christmas so we'll see what changes that brings to my life. :D

If you have some more time, can you tell us about the tools you use to do your schedules/calendars etc.? I've been working with Evernote to try to get everything in my brain down before it vanishes forever. (Pinterest is too photo-oriented for me--I needed something that worked better with words rather than so much with pictures.)

This year I converted my home management lists/binder/clipboards (I've had so many iterations!) to digital, using Evernote, Remember the Milk, and Google Calendar. I have the basics about this set up here: Digital Homemaking "Binder." I'm actually in the middle of writing a brief how-to guide for setting up your own, to make those smartphones, iPads, and laptops real organization tools. :) I hope to have it done and available in January.

Ok, here is a hang-up I have and perhaps you all that have already been working on this can give me your insight. How do you include school-time in your schedule? We have a long morning block, then a break, then lunch, then a short block of school, then a break, then occasionally a third block. The lengths of the blocks changes, so it is hard to know if I am going to have time to make lunch, move laundry and clean the living room, or just make lunch. I checked out the books Kristina recommended in the OP but I haven't read them yet. I'm just curious about hearing how other people handle it.

I set aside an hour for breakfast and everyone's morning chores first thing, so that everyone's pitched in to get some basic housekeeping done before we start. Then it's math, which can take anywhere from 15 minutes to a full hour. Then we do Circle Time with all our memory work and singing all together, usually about an hour. Then my older fluent readers go tackle their independent work, which takes them about an hour or so (they have to finish before they get lunch, so that helps discourage dawdling) while I work with my preschooler for a bit. If I have time between then and lunch (sometimes yes, sometimes no) I am usually too exhausted to do anything more than mindlessly browse the internet. :) But I don't really count on having housework time except for while the kids eat breakfast and then in the afternoon before dinner prep. We also do a 4:45-ish everyone-picks-up-the-house time, which helps things not get too crazy. Again, no meals until it's done, so as to discourage dawdling.

That all makes us sound put together and on top of it, but the reality is never so smooth as the plan. There's a lot of "rolling with the punches" that's required, particularly with a non-napping toddler in the mix.

So, I've been working on my schedule for a couple of weeks now and I think I'm happy with it, I think it's do-able. My husband likes it too (even the parts where I scheduled him on toddler duty! :lol: )

Thanks so much for this thread, your tips Alte Veste helped me fine tune my plan, so now it's less pie in the sky and more 'I can actually do this!'

The one thing that stops me from getting a program like The Power of Moms is that I will have to stop what I am doing and learn it....therefor adding to the pile of stuff I am already staring at! I do feel like I am under a mental pile of junk that keeps me paralyzed. I have so much to do that I can't start some days! I would love a baby steps thread to keep me moving SLOWLY over the course of 2013 to better organize. I have my oldest HS'd child approaching high school soon and it is scaring the daylights out of me!

The one thing that stops me from getting a program like The Power of Moms is that I will have to stop what I am doing and learn it....therefor adding to the pile of stuff I am already staring at! I do feel like I am under a mental pile of junk that keeps me paralyzed. I have so much to do that I can't start some days! I would love a baby steps thread to keep me moving SLOWLY over the course of 2013 to better organize. I have my oldest HS'd child approaching high school soon and it is scaring the daylights out of me!

Well, I did buy it :lol: When I went to look for the link to post it here, I saw it was on sale for 30% off. I was already on the fence, and it has a money-back guarantee, so I'm going to give it a try. Right now I'm listening to podcasts while I make dinner (best Christmas present ever: wireless headphones!!!). I'll report back in with some thoughts after I dig more in depth. I like the idea of a community for ongoing support for stuff like this, goal setting and prioritizing and organizing and home management, and so on.

I love the idea of a baby steps thread. I was thinking about setting up a progressive, Happiness Project-style plan for 2013. Maybe we could explore that more? I have a daily, detailed schedule I made up two years ago, and that's my starting point. But actually sticking to it is the hardest part! I really need to find a way to hold my feet to the fire.

I also have a related question, but I may start a spinoff thread for discussing it. My thoughts are still coalescing on that subject. I'll be back after dinner to ask it!

I love the idea of a baby steps thread. I was thinking about setting up a progressive, Happiness Project-style plan for 2013. Maybe we could explore that more? I have a daily, detailed schedule I made up two years ago, and that's my starting point. But actually sticking to it is the hardest part! I really need to find a way to hold my feet to the fire.

Me, too! Me, too!

Well, I did buy it :lol: When I went to look for the link to post it here, I saw it was on sale for 30% off. I was already on the fence, and it has a money-back guarantee, so I'm going to give it a try. Right now I'm listening to podcasts while I make dinner (best Christmas present ever: wireless headphones!!!). I'll report back in with some thoughts after I dig more in depth. I like the idea of a community for ongoing support for stuff like this, goal setting and prioritizing and organizing and home management, and so on.

I also have a related question, but I may start a spinoff thread for discussing it. My thoughts are still coalescing on that subject. I'll be back after dinner to ask it!

I LOVE this idea. Baby steps and accountability, all rolled in to one!

Please link the new thread here so I can click through to it so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

I LOVE this idea. Baby steps and accountability, all rolled in to one!

Please link the new thread here so I can click through to it so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

I'll do my best. I'll say that I planned to do something like this at this time last year, but by the time the new year started, I was already in the weeds and never did it. If someone else feels like they'd be better at heading it up, they should feel free to. Otherwise, my plan is to pull stuff together throughout December, so I'll post again when I have a framework of some kind!

FYI, if anyone is interested, the Power of Moms podcasts are free on iTunes, so if you want to listen to some inspiring podcasts, check there. I'm not huge on podcasts, but it's a decent way to occupy my ears while I'm doing busywork in the kitchen/house.

I've been following this thread intently. I got both Switch and GTD from the library and am halfway done with Switch.

I am not a mother, but I am always up for bettering myself :)

I also read the Happiness Project, and I agree it would be interesting to make a monthly thing to achieve as she did, but in terms of organization.

Interesting. :thumbup:

Thanks for reposting that. I just put Switch on hold from the library.

I love GTD! I've gone through his organizing process 3 times now and will be starting a fourth time in January (just had baby #5 by unexpected c-section 4 weeks ago and things have been slowly falling apart my whole pregnancy and now rapidly falling apart w/ recovery and baby and holidays).

I wrote up a summary of GTD, applying it to homeschool moms instead of businessmen, and ran the series on my blog: 31 Days of GTD for Homemakers. I think getting a system like that going is a 6-12 month project, especially with the reality that you can't dedicate huge chunks of time to it in the midst of homeschooling life.

Wow! Your 31 Days of GTD for Homemakers is fabulous! I just read GTD this summer, but wasn't translating it to home very well. I have read almost all of your series and found it really helpful! THANKS!

I am loving this thread. I read GTD 10 years ago as a new SAHM when everyone over at OrganizedHome.com was raving about it (anyone else remember that old message board--I miss it so much!). I would love some kind of accountability/baby-step group. Mystie, your 31 Days posts are gold and exactly what I need to apply GTD to my life.

Not much to add, but I ended up creating a routine/schedule for my roles as me, teacher and chief cook and bottlewasher about nine months ago, and it was one of the best things I ever did for myself. (Not the best, but one of them.)

I thought I'd share the things one might expect planning and implementing a new plan for life.

Cautions:

1) Be prepared to learn your limitations. Things that look easy on paper are not always that way in real time.

2) Be prepared to discover where you waste time. It's amazing how much time goes down the drain in a day.

3) Be prepared to alter your preconceptions about yourself. Night-owls can become early birds if the motivation is strong enough.

4) Be prepared to resist change. I STILL sometimes have to force myself to complete a task rather than try to multitask.

5) Be prepared to tweak. I realized early in that my schedule had to be flexible, but did not fully appreciate how depended my life would be on the hours of daylight. I've had some trouble adjusting to Standard time, and for the very first time in my life actually appreciate Daylight Savings Time. That's a first.

6) Be prepared to adjust your concept of "me-time" and "family-time." You'll know what I mean when you start setting aside time for it. Suffice to say, time that you own instead of having to steal it becomes very, very valuable to you.

Implementation

1) Keep it simple. It's nice to write out goals somewhere but remember that they are goals to get to, not to achieve on the first day out in your new schedule.

2) Expect set-backs. Some will come from finding out limitations, some from family members who are adjusting. My poor DH, working out of town all week frequently grinds progress to a halt on the weekends because he isn't involved in the schedule during the week. I've learned to accept that I must adjust to this, and he has learned that it pays to keep me informed in advance if he has something special he wants to do on the weekends. We began to respect each other's time more, but there was an adjustment phase. It was even more noticeable with the boys. When I first began to take time to exercise I found that they were particularly demanding and tried to interrupt. For about a month I actually had to enforce the rule "Don't talk to me when I'm running!" or "Don't follow me on your bicycle when I'm running." I had tears.

Fast forward to today. Now I can talk when I'm running. I've got the breath to do it. One of my boys runs with me and is learning to pace himself. My other boy just learned to ride his bike without the training wheels and my long run on Sunday is made enjoyable by both boys jetting ahead on their bikes with me trailing them like a bloodhound. A little work in the respect department has made life better for everyone, but it wasn't easy to start with.

3)Flexibility. Routine is great, but routines change. Mine changes a great deal in the year to accommodate the day-length and seasonal changes in temperature. I realized I needed this early on, but even today a shake-up requires a period of adjustment. Don't get frustrated and scrap things if this happens to you. Sometimes the adjustment really is pretty minor, sometimes major. Make it and be ready for things to be a little awkward for a while.

That's all I can think of for now. But it's being organized is a good thing, and I only wish I'd had the fortitude to do it sooner.

One other thing along that line. BEFORE you implement any new schedule may I recommend that one spend exactly one week going to bed in such a way as to give yourselves eight hours of sleep a night minimum? It is so much easier to deal with change when you are well rested. Just my two cents.

Not much to add, but I ended up creating a routine/schedule for my roles as me, teacher and chief cook and bottlewasher about nine months ago, and it was one of the best things I ever did for myself. (Not the best, but one of them.)

I thought I'd share the things one might expect planning and implementing a new plan for life.

Cautions:

1) Be prepared to learn your limitations. Things that look easy on paper are not always that way in real time.

2) Be prepared to discover where you waste time. It's amazing how much time goes down the drain in a day.

3) Be prepared to alter your preconceptions about yourself. Night-owls can become early birds if the motivation is strong enough.

4) Be prepared to resist change. I STILL sometimes have to force myself to complete a task rather than try to multitask.

5) Be prepared to tweak. I realized early in that my schedule had to be flexible, but did not fully appreciate how depended my life would be on the hours of daylight. I've had some trouble adjusting to Standard time, and for the very first time in my life actually appreciate Daylight Savings Time. That's a first.

6) Be prepared to adjust your concept of "me-time" and "family-time." You'll know what I mean when you start setting aside time for it. Suffice to say, time that you own instead of having to steal it becomes very, very valuable to you.

Implementation

1) Keep it simple. It's nice to write out goals somewhere but remember that they are goals to get to, not to achieve on the first day out in your new schedule.

2) Expect set-backs. Some will come from finding out limitations, some from family members who are adjusting. My poor DH, working out of town all week frequently grinds progress to a halt on the weekends because he isn't involved in the schedule during the week. I've learned to accept that I must adjust to this, and he has learned that it pays to keep me informed in advance if he has something special he wants to do on the weekends. We began to respect each other's time more, but there was an adjustment phase. It was even more noticeable with the boys. When I first began to take time to exercise I found that they were particularly demanding and tried to interrupt. For about a month I actually had to enforce the rule "Don't talk to me when I'm running!" or "Don't follow me on your bicycle when I'm running." I had tears.

Fast forward to today. Now I can talk when I'm running. I've got the breath to do it. One of my boys runs with me and is learning to pace himself. My other boy just learned to ride his bike without the training wheels and my long run on Sunday is made enjoyable by both boys jetting ahead on their bikes with me trailing them like a bloodhound. A little work in the respect department has made life better for everyone, but it wasn't easy to start with.

3)Flexibility. Routine is great, but routines change. Mine changes a great deal in the year to accommodate the day-length and seasonal changes in temperature. I realized I needed this early on, but even today a shake-up requires a period of adjustment. Don't get frustrated and scrap things if this happens to you. Sometimes the adjustment really is pretty minor, sometimes major. Make it and be ready for things to be a little awkward for a while.

That's all I can think of for now. But it's being organized is a good thing, and I only wish I'd had the fortitude to do it sooner.

One other thing along that line. BEFORE you implement any new schedule may I recommend that one spend exactly one week going to bed in such a way as to give yourselves eight hours of sleep a night minimum? It is so much easier to deal with change when you are well rested. Just my two cents.

I wish I could "like" this a hundred times. Thank you for sharing all of your experience!

LOVE this thread. Here's my hang-up. I'll get organized but our life is fairly chaotic with major house re-build projects coming and going. WHERE do you store your lists/ organization info so that it doesn't get stuck in an odd corner? I don't even have a real closet yet....

You keep it in the notebook where you're organizing all your house projects, hehe... :thumbup:

Seriously, when I was planning my kitchen, I had a huge notebook with everything. You probably have something like that. Or if you don't, convince someone to get you an ipad or mini and keep everything on it. :p

I was already brainstorming a 2013 "Organization Project" plan before this thread, but now I'm extra excited about it. My plan was to figure out the habits to work on and blog about it weekly. I haven't been on the forum here long enough how things are "done," typically. Would a weekly thread like a "weekly reporters" be something people are interested in? I can start one when I make my own weekly post. Would it be here in the General Education or in Chat? I'll definitely participate if someone else wants to run it, too. :) Or, I could make my own blog posts link-up posts if other people want to blog their progress.

I feel like this has been a cyclical project in my life, one I've always been working on, then fall off of during late pregnancy and newborn stage, then trying again, rinse and repeat. I've observed in my own attempts everything Critterfixer wrote about, too. And tackling it all and even making good progress doesn't mean it will permanently stick. I'm just hoping it will make regaining that ground easier. :)

I was already brainstorming a 2013 "Organization Project" plan before this thread, but now I'm extra excited about it. My plan was to figure out the habits to work on and blog about it weekly. I haven't been on the forum here long enough how things are "done," typically. Would a weekly thread like a "weekly reporters" be something people are interested in? I can start one when I make my own weekly post. Would it be here in the General Education or in Chat? I'll definitely participate if someone else wants to run it, too. :) Or, I could make my own blog posts link-up posts if other people want to blog their progress.

I feel like this has been a cyclical project in my life, one I've always been working on, then fall off of during late pregnancy and newborn stage, then trying again, rinse and repeat. I've observed in my own attempts everything Critterfixer wrote about, too. And tackling it all and even making good progress doesn't mean it will permanently stick. I'm just hoping it will make regaining that ground easier. :)

I can try to do something if no one else wants to, but based on your blog posts and the plans you already have, I suspect you're more qualified to set up a framework for us! Personally, I was thinking along the lines of two-week, incremental goals for myself, starting with (sadly), get up and shower FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, EVERY DAY. I have this daily fight with myself, and it's so stupid. I know--KNOW-- that if I don't shower in the morning, the rest of the day looks bleak and hopeless, yet somehow I still manage to convince myself that I can shower later, it will be fine, I should get to doing XYZ first instead.

So I would have two weeks where I focus only on achieving that one small goal every day, and then when the next two-week window starts, I'd add in getting up at 7 a.m. instead of whenever the kids wake me. Because again, while I KNOW that if I'm not up before the kids, I'm grumpy all day long, that extra hour (or three) of sleep has really been winning lately.

Would anyone be interested in something like that? Or should we each set our own framework and just check in on a daily accountability thread? I like the idea of weekly reports, but I also like the idea of having to report in daily to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Would anyone be interested in something like that? Or should we each set our own framework and just check in on a daily accountability thread? I like the idea of weekly reports, but I also like the idea of having to report in daily to keep me on the straight and narrow!

I'm up for daily! That'd be real accountability. :) And maybe then I'd have extra incentive to get up before the kids myself if I commit to starting a thread about it every morning. Or if that'd be too off topic for this forum, we could set up a yahoo group and I can send out an email and everyone can reply. Or a FB group.

Each person's particular application or specific actionable habit will be different, but I was going to follow the 10 habits in Zen to Done, one per month. Then I was working also on a list of 10 "happy mom, happy home" habits (ala 10 Habits of Happy Moms, Happiness Project, Happier at Home, and Happiest Mom) and a list of 10 health habits as I get the baby weight off next year. I'd rather make gradual, permanent changes than do a crash-hot plan that I can't maintain after the weight is off. And 10 habits leaves the holiday season without extra to-dos and gives some time for synthesizing all of them or shoring up the ones that didn't stick. :) Once I've got my lists, I can share them, but others might want to set their own habit-goals too.

In my mind, the focus is on creating lasting habits rather than reaching a goal that can be checked off. Organization is a lot like health in that regard. You can tackle it and "accomplish" it, but if you don't change your habits, mindset, lifestyle, then it won't last long. Speaking as one who has had to start fresh on both of those more times than I'd like to admit. :) I *know* what I need to do, but that doesn't translate into me *doing* what I need to do.

Your blog is really great. I have so many photo heavy blogs saved that are inspiring in a pie in the sky way. Your blog has so much to read and apply. Can't wait to read through this weekend. Thanks!

I'm up for daily! That'd be real accountability. :) And maybe then I'd have extra incentive to get up before the kids myself if I commit to starting a thread about it every morning. Or if that'd be too off topic for this forum, we could set up a yahoo group and I can send out an email and everyone can reply. Or a FB group.

Each person's particular application or specific actionable habit will be different, but I was going to follow the 10 habits in Zen to Done, one per month. Then I was working also on a list of 10 "happy mom, happy home" habits (ala 10 Habits of Happy Moms, Happiness Project, Happier at Home, and Happiest Mom) and a list of 10 health habits as I get the baby weight off next year. I'd rather make gradual, permanent changes than do a crash-hot plan that I can't maintain after the weight is off. And 10 habits leaves the holiday season without extra to-dos and gives some time for synthesizing all of them or shoring up the ones that didn't stick. :) Once I've got my lists, I can share them, but others might want to set their own habit-goals too.

In my mind, the focus is on creating lasting habits rather than reaching a goal that can be checked off. Organization is a lot like health in that regard. You can tackle it and "accomplish" it, but if you don't change your habits, mindset, lifestyle, then it won't last long. Speaking as one who has had to start fresh on both of those more times than I'd like to admit. :) I *know* what I need to do, but that doesn't translate into me *doing* what I need to do.

Your blog is really great. I have so many photo heavy blogs saved that are inspiring in a pie in the sky way. Your blog has so much to read and apply. Can't wait to read through this weekend. Thanks!

Thank you! Knowing people read it and find it helpful makes it worthwhile. :) Writing through things helps me apply it in my own home, too. I'm much better about the thinking and planning than the doing. :)

I would love to be part of a daily accountability group and I really like your focus on different lists (organizing, happiness, health).

I'm not on Facebook, though.

ETA: I'm seriously amazed at the moment, my library has both the Zen to Done book and the Happiness project. Amaaaazing. And very good for my budget :D.

In the beginning, until my desired habits became...well, habits, I followed my schedule like a robot. :lol: I had to trust Kristina Who Made the Plan even when I just wanted to be Kristina Who Slept In or Kristina Who Read the Forums All Day. ;)

:smilielol5:

Thank you so much for your contributions to this thread!

I'm up for an accountability plan/program. Alta and Mystie- thank you for your contributions!!

I started my lists last night and I have to say, it was sobering in a HUGE way that I didn't expect. Our life has been so wholly out of balance since the house fire. It's been 3 yrs so you'd think it would be all resolved but we are still re-grouping. I had some serious anxiety about it all last night and couldn't go to sleep for a long while. Dh and I had a long talk last night and again this a.m. about where we are at....and how to move along.

On a related, small, but not insignificant note: I unsubscribed to all of the email lists I know longer want to be on this a.m......I think I can call my inbox my own again. :001_cool:

Thanks so much for this thread. I was already in the process of getting a handle on things starting November. I want to simply my life and be more organized so I can enjoy life a little more in 2013 and beyond :D . I have GTD and Switch on hold at the library. I have read the Happiness Project, but just ordered it again from the library. I also put a hold on Happier at Home -- have never read this one. I wanted to add that I read a quick little book http://www.amazon.com/Eat-That-Frog-Great-Procrastinating/dp/1576754227/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354835829&sr=1-1&keywords=eat+that+frog that has some nice tips in it. It is geared for business, but is very easy to apply for the home. That is what got me started in November. I was able to get it from the library.

I am able to check out books from 2 different library systems, but neither one has Zen to Done. May have to buy that one.

Anyway, I am following this thread closely. Thanks for all the effort being put into getting a handle on things in 2013.

I'd be interested in an organization thread. I'm pretty happy with the house and cleaning but there are other things I'd like to be getting done that are not happening. Now that the new baby is here I'd like to be thinking more about our priorities and getting back on track. I was so tired with pregnancy all but the basics went by the wayside and I'd like to pick it back up again, hopefully. My schedule is still a bit in the air w/ a 3 wk old though although I'm definitely feeling much more energetic than I did when pregnant!

Lisa- fwiw- we had a house fire 5.5 yrs ago and lost pretty much everything as well. Only in the last year or so has everything seemed more normal and I don't think some things will ever be quite the same. I feel like I'm different as well, of course I've also had 3 kids since then(1 of those was 2 days after the fire). We expanded and upgraded but I did still feel a small grieving sometimes, not over the stuff, it is hard to pinpoint though. We've pretty much finished the upstairs(finally) which helped tremendously but are still working on the basement and the house projects definitely lead to that feeling of things being undone.

I'd be interested in an organization thread. I'm pretty happy with the house and cleaning but there are other things I'd like to be getting done that are not happening. Now that the new baby is here I'd like to be thinking more about our priorities and getting back on track. I was so tired with pregnancy all but the basics went by the wayside and I'd like to pick it back up again, hopefully. My schedule is still a bit in the air w/ a 3 wk old though although I'm definitely feeling much more energetic than I did when pregnant!

My newest will be 5 weeks old tomorrow. :) And she was an unexpected c-section, so even though my energy is way better than it was while pregnant, I still have to physically take it easy. So, I have a long list of things around the house that need my attention in a few more weeks. :)

My newest will be 5 weeks old tomorrow. :) And she was an unexpected c-section, so even though my energy is way better than it was while pregnant, I still have to physically take it easy. So, I have a long list of things around the house that need my attention in a few more weeks. :)

Lots of new babies here! My newest is 9 weeks. I also have a lot more energy than when I was pregnant, but I'm finding it hard to get myself motivated to get things done since I've gotten out of the habit. My pregnancy was really bad (compared to the others anyway) and I really had to allow myself to let things slide and take it easy. Now I'm ready to get going on staying on top of things again but there is so much to be done that getting started is pretty overwhelming.

I've been following along this thread through emails, but just now had time to sit down and read it from beginning to end. I would love to join in to an accountability group.

I've just recently physically decluttered a lot of our home--still have more to do. I've found that I am able to function so much better now. I am more motivated to get stuff done. I didn't realize how stressful all the stuff surrounding me was.

Lots of new babies here! My newest is 9 weeks. I also have a lot more energy than when I was pregnant, but I'm finding it hard to get myself motivated to get things done since I've gotten out of the habit. My pregnancy was really bad (compared to the others anyway) and I really had to allow myself to let things slide and take it easy. Now I'm ready to get going on staying on top of things again but there is so much to be done that getting started is pretty overwhelming.

My "baby" turns 15 in January :tongue_smilie: , so I don't have the excuse that many of you have. I'm great at making pretty schedules, calendars, etc. & they have been life-savers for me during our hectic years when I was HSing all 3dc. If it doesn't work on paper, I know it won't work in real life. Even with only ds#2 to worry about, I still make up a family weekly timetable & tape it on the front of my diary (planner). I, also, have a vertical calendar with columns for all of us (me, dh, & all 3dc) + one for bills that hangs near the phone. Even though dd & ds#1 are now adults, I like to keep a handle on where they are when,etc. With ds#1 still living at home & dd heading off to sea, but still using home as a base when she's not at sea, I need to see at a glance who has what on when. The thing that I have found most useful is 2 small whiteboards that I hung up in my kitchen. One I divided up into 7 rows (one for each day of the week). I always have a week's activities marked on it at a time. At bedtime each evening I up-date this whiteboard (ie tonight I erased today's activities & filled in next friday's commitments.) For some reason dh just will not look at this whiteboard, but expects me to keep in my head all that everyone is doing. :glare: The other kitchen whiteboard is used for a daily/weekly menu & shopping list. When I'm really organised I have the menu for the full week written on the whiteboard & even whether the meal is a crockpot meal, in the freezer, etc.

So you can see that I know how to be organised & have had times of being really organised, but currently I keep getting waylaid with the unexpected & I just give up :o I really, really want a day (or more) of NO outside commitments to make a real dent in the piles of stuff that needs sorting that is cluttering up our life (physical & otherwise.) I know I need to learn to say "No" & not worry whether someone else will finally step up.

This thread has lots of good ideas. I'm going to see if my library has those books. I want 2013 to be the year I finally get my home in order & carve out a bit of "me" time.

I'm in for accountability! I just picked up GTD and Switch from the library. I started my "lists" on notecards and I have about a million. Downloaded Evernote and Remember the Milk. Ready to get going!!
I need to learn to use these!!!

They are pretty easy, I am still messing around with them. I really like pen and paper but I really detest clutter. I have an iPhone so I figured its about time to make the switch and use it as much as I can.

I, too, am inspired and have GTD on hold at the library. Once the book comes in, I'm hoping to read it along with your blog, Mystie. I loved Alte's comment about going into "robot" mode. I hope I can do that.

I read threads like this and get inspired and want to join in, like Halcyon's thread on decluttering. I hopped on and said, "Me too! Me too!" but I was a drop out after the first week :glare: . I really don't want to do that this time. I think key for me will be to remember Critter's comment to expect setbacks. I give up way too easily when I hit a setback. Maybe it will help if I go in expecting them rather than being discouraged by them.

I don't know if I should start a new thread or if we should keep discussing here. I have a couple of questions, about lists and about maximizing efficiency vs. our own personal habits/tendencies (AKA In my perfect world, I'd get up at 6 a.m. and start my day, but I am NOT a morning person!)

What do you think, should we start new threads for offshoot discussion or stay here?

I don't know if I should start a new thread or if we should keep discussing here. I have a couple of questions, about lists and about maximizing efficiency vs. our own personal habits/tendencies (AKA In my perfect world, I'd get up at 6 a.m. and start my day, but I am NOT a morning person!)

What do you think, should we start new threads for offshoot discussion or stay here?

If you start a new thread, please put a link to it on this thread, so I can keep reading everyone's great hints.

Blessings,

Well, I haven't read, reserved, or looked for the books at the library, yet. BUT, I have started setting up my "Command Central" or "Household Binder" system that I've been meaning to do for the past, oh, 7 gagillion years (or so it seems). :D

This way, when I do read the books and start making my "robot checklists", I'll have somewhere to put them and find them!!

First though, I started sorting, shredding, recycling the paper build up from the past year that I haven't been keeping up on. It burned me out so much that I went to bed at 10:30 last night! I usually go to bed between 1 and 2 a.m. LOL I guess that is the answer if I want to force myself into a get to bed earlier routine...make myself deal with paperwork close to bedtime. I couldn't even browse the net or read a book afterward. Brain. Overload.

First though, I started sorting, shredding, recycling the paper build up from the past year that I haven't been keeping up on. It burned me out so much that I went to bed at 10:30 last night! I usually go to bed between 1 and 2 a.m. LOL I guess that is the answer if I want to force myself into a get to bed earlier routine...make myself deal with paperwork close to bedtime. I couldn't even browse the net or read a book afterward. Brain. Overload.

Good for you!!!

I'm in the opposite situation. I have both books to read, but I'm on vaca traveling and reading. I keep thinking about all of things I need to DO and sort through but can't for a week!

At least I have a notebook to start making lists.

Both books are waiting for me at the library. :) I hope they will help me have a better overall plan. Flylady and the Fresh 20 help with meal planning and cleaning, but I also need something that ties everything together. We spend quite a bit of time being involved at our church and the girls have several other outside activities. We love all of it and don't want to give anything up, but I need to be more organized so life isn't so crazy. Sometimes, I feel like my brain is going to melt!

Well I have both books and have read most of GTD. Whew! There is some great stuff there! Right now I am stuck figuring out how to best organize *my* stuff. I'm going to reread Kristina's and Mystie's posts to see if something in there helps me out. I'm :bigear: if anyone else would like to let me know what organization system works for them.

I like the idea of an accountability plan, but I'm also really limiting my on-line time right now. So I would like to participate but...we'll see. I'm game to try though because I could really use it.

I want to second an earlier post and say please link any S/O here. I don't want to miss anything. :D