Menu

Kids obsessed with coffee

LostSurprise

Maybe I just don't get it. I married into a Scandinavian family and they *really* love their coffee. For the first 15 years of marriage dh was a good coder and substituted Mt. Dew and coffee wasn't seen in the house (I had been raised by non-coffee drinkers and only drank coffee to be sociable).

Well lately dh is trying to get off the Dew and has subbed coffee and I'm finding my little Norwegians (13, 12, 9) are obsessed with coffee. Really obsessed. I knew #2 was going to be that way. His grandfather gave him a sip as a toddler and his little eyes lit up and he's been asking for years. Its just around more now and I need to have some kind of policy.

We do allow half cups or weak coffee every week or two (if they keep asking).

So when do you allow coffee? When did your parents allow coffee (if you're a coffee drinker)? What are the ramifications of coffee for kids (does 'coffee will stunt your growth' have any traction in this day and age )?

We don't allow soda, chocolate, or other caffeine on a regular basis if that makes any difference. Its not a sugar thing either because most of them like it black. :laugh:

If you don't allow caffeine, coffee would seem to be off your list of acceptable beverages! :)

Do they like decaf?

If your dh is substituting coffee for Mountain Dew, he's not helping his caffeine addiction!

Also, how old are your kids? My ds is 12 and I would let him have some coffee if he really wanted it, but he has no interest. (We do allow soda, though.)

My 8 and 11 yo dds both like coffee and request it. They don't drink it black though. They specifically request "Mom Coffee- Not Dad Coffee". :rolleyes: I let them have it occasionally. It enhances older dd's ability to work, but I don't feel good about getting her hooked at such a young age. I didn't start drinking coffee until after dd was born, and I really regret it. I wonder how many empty calories I have drunk.

In my dh's extended family, you got your first cup of coffee after your confirmation (age probably 12-14). I believe parents then allowed dc to have coffee if they wished. Reasonable limits would apply. Dh and I personally don't like coffee (and I'm Scandinavian!) so our kids haven't shown any interest, but if they wanted to drink it, I would probably stick to the old family tradition for anything other than an occasional taste of a parent's coffee. No logical reason--just think it's not really a child's drink.

My kids have drunk decaf coffee since they were pretty small. As long as it's decaf, I don't see a reason to limit. The things to remember, though, is that not all decaf is the same. Starbucks decaf, for example, has soooo much caffeine that I feel it is absolutely dishonest to claim it is decaf. Same with Dunkin Donuts. Other decafs are so weak they just taste nasty (Folgers, for example). The thing to limit is the caffeine.

My kids have drunk decaf coffee since they were pretty small. As long as it's decaf, I don't see a reason to limit. The things to remember, though, is that not all decaf is the same. Starbucks decaf, for example, has soooo much caffeine that I feel it is absolutely dishonest to claim it is decaf. Same with Dunkin Donuts. Other decafs are so weak they just taste nasty (Folgers, for example). The thing to limit is the caffeine.

Thanks for the info -- I did not know that! No wonder I still feel pretty lively after a Starbucks decaf! (I figured it was from all of the sugar in it, but now I know it's both sugar and caffeine.)

I'll bet a lot of people don't realize that their decaf still has a lot of caffeine. That could be bad for someone who has a real sensitivity to it.

Ds is a coffee lover too. We let him have the occasional "white coffee" now, but that is mostly milk with a little sugar and coffee added in. We have set 10 as the arbitrary age when he can start drinking coffee, though it will probably be decaf at first. He just turned 9 a few weeks ago, and one of the things he was excited about is that he only has one more year before he can drink real coffee, lol.

I've been drinking coffee since I can remember. I think my first cup was when I was 5. LOL My grandfather would let me have a cup every time we spent the weekend with them, which was frequently in the summer. I like mine with cream and sugar, though. I don't think it did any damage to me to have the occasional cup.

DH is a coffee addict. I'm a tea addict. DS7 sneaks sips of dad's coffee when he can, DS12 is a hardcore tea connoisseur and has been for a few years. I allow both kids decaf and the occasional caffeinated cuppa every once in while. Our teeth are still white, but we brush very regularly and get regular cleanings. I figure the caffeine in tea and coffee is much better for you than all the sugar, dyes and chemicals in soda!

We drink coffee. Well I guess technically espresso. DS has a latte every morning. For some odd reason I think it mellows him LOL. I sometimes drink a mocha at 8pm. I sleep like a rock.

Coffee has always calmed me rather than hyped me up. When I was younger, if I couldn't sleep, I would drink a cup of coffee and I would fall right to sleep.

Coffee has always calmed me rather than hyped me up. When I was younger, if I couldn't sleep, I would drink a cup of coffee and I would fall right to sleep.

I took Unisom twice when I was having a week where I felt sleep deprived. I was up for HOURS and felt twitchy

D's has drank hot tea since he was tiny. My grandmother is from England and tea with milk and a tiny bit of sugar was normal for me growing up too.

He still drinks a lot of both hot and iced tea, and recently has discovered coffee. He drinks maybe two cups of coffee a week.

I would much rather he drink those than soda, or even juice!

It also helps his focus :)

D's has drank hot tea since he was tiny. My grandmother is from England and tea with milk and a tiny bit of sugar was normal for me growing up too.

He still drinks a lot of both hot and iced tea, and recently has discovered coffee. He drinks maybe two cups of coffee a week.

I would much rather he drink those than soda, or even juice!

It also helps his focus :)

If you don't allow caffeine, coffee would seem to be off your list of acceptable beverages! :)

Do they like decaf?

If your dh is substituting coffee for Mountain Dew, he's not helping his caffeine addiction!

Also, how old are your kids? My ds is 12 and I would let him have some coffee if he really wanted it, but he has no interest. (We do allow soda, though.)

We don't ban soda here. I just think they're empty calories and we keep them for special treats.

DH probably has undiagnosed ADD so caffeine has always been important to managing his symptoms. Dew-->coffee is more a sugar thing.

I already let them have coffee 'occasionally.' We're not against it, but 'occasionally' is a very vague term. Once a week? Once a day? 2-3x a week? Only for teens? Its a lot to sift through. Occasionally used to be when we bothered to make coffee (in-laws were here or dh was out of Dew) and now occasionally is being stretched by having the coffee pot on almost every day.

I like the idea of having a coffee coming of age. We don't have confirmation in our religious tradition but that seems like a natural starting point. DH's teen cousins (who were interested) started coffee in their early teens. Its practically a blue collar Scandinavian tradition.

I'm leaning toward allowing ds13 and ds12 (coffee fiend and has similar focusing probs dh has) 1 cup/day free reign and limiting ds9 to 1 cup on weekends. ds9 is going to be disappointed though.

For the first 15 years of marriage dh was a good coder and substituted Mt. Dew and coffee wasn't seen in the house (I had been raised by non-coffee drinkers and only drank coffee to be sociable).

What does "good coder" mean and what does it have to do with Mt. Dew? I'm mystified!

What does "good coder" mean and what does it have to do with Mt. Dew? I'm mystified!

Sorry. Dh programs software so a 'coder' is someone who codes (programs). Mt. Dew is the preferred drink of programmers. (That's not to say that everyone drinks it, but if there's a table of free soda the Mt. Dew will disappear almost immediately.)

Sorry. Dh programs software so a 'coder' is someone who codes (programs). Mt. Dew is the preferred drink of programmers. (That's not to say that everyone drinks it, but if there's a table of free soda the Mt. Dew will disappear almost immediately.)

Aha! I thought it might be programming, but I didn't know of the Mt. Dew connection. My dh programs also and he does enjoy a Mt. Dew now and then. He's more of a tea drinker in general, but then programming is only a small part of his job. Maybe if he did more he'd drink more Dew. Funny!

My older kids can drink coffee anytime they want. DS21 and DD18 drink lots since they are off at college. DS16 not so much. DD11 loves the smell of coffee but thinks it tastes gross.

I htink DD18 started drinking coffee-stuff (carmel chocolate peppermint mocha things) in high school. DS21 started drinking coffee when he went off to college out of desparation.

My DH is a coffee addict. He started at 13. His mother (German) started her coffee addiction when she was 3. and has not missed a day since (including during the war in Germany when hardly anyone had real coffee). My children don't drink coffee. They have never asked for any, we have never offered it to them. I don't believe in introducing addictive substances to young children (younger than 12 for coffee) and the reality is we would not be able to afford to have multiple coffee addicts in the house.

I've heard of Postum, Pero and Caffix being called "kid coffee".

I've seen Pero and that is similar to what I'm talking about. Maybe I should actually get some because my middle ds always wants coffee and he uses up my decaf. My 4 yr old always sneaks up and drinks my coffee too. He loves it. It is decaf though.