Menu

Starting LOF with 9 1/2 year old

stephg

Depends on your budget! :laugh:

I did the whole elementary series - Apples thru Jelly Beans - with my 4th grader last year, alongside MM4. It was great for her, she was coming home from ps and needed a jump start to the math love. It definitely did the trick! She learned new things, conceptual and algebraic stuff, from the first book, although of course it wasn't computationally difficult.

Alternatively you could start later - Farming, for example, or Honey, if you just want to dive in where it starts focusing on having you memorize the multiplication tables.

Don't try and start Fractions till long division is solid, and your dc is ready for 5ht grade level math. There are 3 new intermediate books - which I've not seen - to help bridge the gap, if there is one.

Good luck! Fred isn't for every kid, but those who love it, really love it!

I started with a 10 yr old that was in public school up to this year. I started him in Apples just as a review. He started in October and he is breezing through them doing one book a week. He is in Farming now. I think it was a good review for him. It helped him re learn to think but with simple problems.

My 4th grader started with Apples. I think that is what is recommended on the LOF site, too, to start at the beginning if a child is below 5th grade. He is going through very quickly, because he really enjoys it and actually asks to do more, so many days he does three chapters in a sitting.

Even if your DS knows the math material covered in Apples, I would still start there just for the storyline.

There are few times in the later books that something is funny only if you know the story behind it. However, it will not create any learning gaps, *and* there are also times when you have to wait for a later book for the author to develop parrt of a storyline he mentions in an earlier volume. It is fun!

The books also include so many other interesting facts (astronomy, grammar, etc.), that he will likely learn something new even in earlier volumes.

Hmm, I couldn't afford the elementary series, so DD started fractions a couple of months ago. She does MM4 as her main math, but she is very verbal and this is supplemental. So far, no problems!

I hope it continues like that for her! My dd did fine with Fractions (supplemental to MM5) for the first ~20+ chapters, which was largely review. When it got into the later chapters, with new Fractions concepts coming fast and furious, she started to go down . . . her own assessment is that it was too much new stuff, too quickly, and not enough practice to solidify the concepts (she really dislikes spiral-style math). We decided not to sweat it for now, we'll be doing a heavy dose of fractions in MM starting in January, and we might come back to LOF after that, or we might just move on. (She is doing LOF Decimals right now, concurrently with the MM Decimals chapter, and that is working a lot better).

We started part way through 4th grade, we also started with apples. My son LOVES the story. It is great review, and fills in any gaps he has, but he is also learning new things. We are now on farming. I am making him go a little slowly with one lesson a day, 4 days a week. He would read the whole book in one day if I let him. The great thing about the series, is after he has completed a book, he goes back and re reads them.