Menu

I hate cleaning out a tiled shower stall...

PrincessMommy

I have a ginormous shower in our master bath (5x7). We used a self-sealing grout when we installed it...it is the *easiest* shower to clean. I clean it once a week after my shower...and it's great. My kids' bath has an oversized tub and tiled shower walls. I use bleach (or tilex) in there once a month, and a mild bathroom cleanser every week (can't use vinegar, because it can harm natural stone and glass tiles). I have had to clean some nasty bathrooms...both with tile and without. IME, the key is regular cleaning and sufficient air flow/venting. Oh, and magic erasers are your friend...

I have a ginormous shower in our master bath (5x7). We used a self-sealing grout when we installed it...it is the *easiest* shower to clean. I clean it once a week after my shower...and it's great. My kids' bath has an oversized tub and tiled shower walls. I use bleach (or tilex) in there once a month, and a mild bathroom cleanser every week (can't use vinegar, because it can harm natural stone and glass tiles). I have had to clean some nasty bathrooms...both with tile and without. IME, the key is regular cleaning and sufficient air flow/venting. Oh, and magic erasers are your friend...

I first read that as self cleaning grout! Goodness me, lol. I don't know what kind of grout I have....I will have to go look. We bought sealant as well as grout. I'm going to look into this further. Its enough of a mess to grout...I don't want to have to deal with sealing either and I have to do the wall around the tub and floors!

Hmmm, maybe I should rethink my request for tile on the cement floor spigot-on-the-wall-in-the-basement-shower that's most popular here.

We have some tile left over from a remodel we did two houses ago and DH says it's enough to tile the shower.

We do have a full bath upstairs but no one likes to use it and I can't imagine why not. It's nice enough.

I clean 8 tile showers a week. I hate glass shower doors far more. When we redid our shower in the master last year, the tile setter, a friend of ours, kept saying things about when we put in the glass doors, etc. I kept telling him, "Curtain! Curtain! I am not cleaning scummy shower doors at home. I do enough of them everywhere else." :)

Oh, and I'd rather clean shower doors than stove tops. Just sayin' :tongue_smilie:

I first read that as self cleaning grout! Goodness me, lol. I don't know what kind of grout I have....I will have to go look. We bought sealant as well as grout. I'm going to look into this further. Its enough of a mess to grout...I don't want to have to deal with sealing either and I have to do the wall around the tub and floors!

Self-sealing grout is a little less forgiving when you install it (you have to wipe areas a bit more carefully), but there are no large areas to seal. Sealing is a time consuming job, but not difficult (my 13yo and 10yo are doing most of ours...in the rooms that we didn't use the nice grout). Oh, and we don't have glass doors, either. Our shower is considered a "walk-in" (we have a curtain up, but really don't have to use it). I hate cleaning scummy glass doors, too!