Menu

Need an idea for a .5 credit writing class

We are coming up 1/2 credit short on English with ds16's plan. I had meant to have him do more writing last year, but I didn't follow up since I was so busy working on getting his older brother into college. I think we have literature covered, but we need more writing. He just finished up a Freshman writing class at our local liberal arts college and will get at least a B, if not an A-. However, I do think he needs more exposure to different kinds of writing, especially about what he reads. Any suggestions? I am thinking of doing this as a summer course because he is pretty much booked up right now.

I just taught a Playwriting class at our co-op. I used the book we used in the MA theatre program. It was laid out really well. Anyone doing it for credit had to read several plays and do an extra assignment or two. It was fun and different. If you are.interested, I can get you more details, the book list and text for the class. We did it in 10 weeks.

Ellen, you may want to look at the Teaching Company's Analysis and Critique course. For us, it expanded beyond just a writing course. For example, in the lecture about Knowing Your Reader, Professor Armstrong talks about Gilman's short story, "The Yellow Wallpaper," and asks if Gilman as an author honors her audience at the end of the story. It was an interesting question and we decided to read the story to make our own decision.

I think when the course first came out, Janice reviewed it and thought it was fairly basic. I would agree to a certain extent, but found that Armstrong's lessons really stuck with my son. It is just a thought.

I just taught a Playwriting class at our co-op. I used the book we used in the MA theatre program. It was laid out really well. Anyone doing it for credit had to read several plays and do an extra assignment or two. It was fun and different. If you are.interested, I can get you more details, the book list and text for the class. We did it in 10 weeks.

I teach assorted writing ourses in a co-op; could you possibly sned me your details? Thank you.