Menu

Explanations for older kids - presidential race?

My older boys (ages below) are very interested in the current campaign for President. My oldest son asked me today how did the two major candidates explain leaving their jobs as senators, while still getting paid, to run for office. I told him I would look into it, but I have no clue. It seems to me that once things get narrowed down, they should have to step down as senator (or president in the last election) once that is their main focus.

I don't know of any other job where you can just step away and focus on getting a new job without repercussions.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

My big question is how McCain has never learned to use the computer, as he said this week. I realize the older generation isn't always intrigued by computers, they actually "scare" my mom, but how did McCain get by all these years as a senator without using one for emails, composing letters, reading news from around the world, etc? Does he have an assistant who does every single thing for him?

\

Here's the clip from the CNN interview where he said this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rpamTKMlKw

Apparently, his wife helps him out. Honestly, I have no idea how he can function as an active adult without being able to send and receive email, buy a book on Amazon or check the headlines or sports scores, but to each their own.

Thanks - good idea to check the voting records.

As far as McCain and the computer, I'd imagine his aides do most of that kind of work for him. I had a boss who refused to use a computer. I'd put faxes on her desk and she'd send them back to me with typos and grammatical errors to correct. I was never able to convince her that "I" wasn't the one typing the stuff. LOL