Menu

Dante's Inferno--help with sources for thesis

I haven't been here in quite a while and am writing on behalf of my oldest daughter. She is writing a term paper on Dante's Inferno, and her thesis, if I haven't mangled it too much, is that the different circles or degrees of hell represent an ever-increasing betrayal of the nature of love. Since God is love, that descent represents a betrayal of God and hence a greater degree of separation from Him. For example, Judas and Brutus are placed in the lowest circle of hell since both betrayed their masters and friends.

She has searched through reputable databases, i.e., JSTOR and MLA Bibliography, but has been unsuccessful in finding scholarly articles that affirm her thesis. She's not a member of this community, so I told her I would go ahead and see if anyone could offer any help or feedback.

Thank you all in advance for any help/advice you may be able to give!

No help, Michelle, but may I say how nice it is to see you again! I have missed you.

XXOO

I've missed you too, Jane! Life has been busy on my end. I am now teaching and have had to put off my master's program until this summer. I think of you and your family often!

I think dd's thesis is basically sound, but she's having difficulty finding scholarly research to back it up. I sent her my copy of Sayer's translation, which I believe has some notes that would back up her thesis. I think she's going to dig into that tonight. I'm not sure which translation she's reading, but it's not Sayers.

BTW, I love the snowflakes on your signature line! The intrinsic beauty and precision of math is so apropos!

Michelle, it is a long shot, but maybe check with 8FilltheHeart. She has the Dante lecture from the Great Courses and perhaps there is something in there. There should be an extensive bibliography at the very least.

I did a basic initial search using the thesis as you stated it, and did not find much. I wonder if in part that has to do with the phrasing.

Michelle, it is a long shot, but maybe check with 8FilltheHeart. She has the Dante lecture from the Great Courses and perhaps there is something in there. There should be an extensive bibliography at the very least.

I did a basic initial search using the thesis as you stated it, and did not find much. I wonder if in part that has to do with the phrasing.

Thank you, Lisa--this is a great idea! I have one set of English literature courses from TTC, and I think one of the lectures is on Dante's Inferno. I should see if there's a bibliography listed there! I'll also check with 8FilltheHeart.

Excellent suggestion!

There's a whole course on Dante from Teaching Company and I think you could find quite a bit in it to help you. I've recently listened to it, and certainly one of their themes is Dante's improvement can be our improvement as well. They certainly focus on the threes in the work and their relationship to the trinity.

I'd be almost tempted to tell her to locate the two professors and email them asking for help. She might get some quotable stuff just from the emails.

There's a whole course on Dante from Teaching Company and I think you could find quite a bit in it to help you. I've recently listened to it, and certainly one of their themes is Dante's improvement can be our improvement as well. They certainly focus on the threes in the work and their relationship to the trinity.

I'd be almost tempted to tell her to locate the two professors and email them asking for help. She might get some quotable stuff just from the emails.

It might be worth a try!

Ok, I knew there was a reason why I saw the old thread on Dante someone revived earlier today. It prompted me to locate my TC lectures. Does your daughter have access to a publication called Dante Studies? The TC booklet describes it as an annual publication containing critical aricles and an annotated bibliography of works published on Dante in English during the previous year. I also found:

• The Dante Encyclopedia (Richard Lansing ed)
  • Modern Critical VIews: Dante (Harold Bloom ed.)
  • Dante's Testaments (Peter Hawkins; focuses on Dante's relationship to the Bible)
  • Lectura Dantis Americana Inferno II (Rachel Jacoff and William Stephany. Described as the second volume of a series which is "particularly informative with respect to the role of St. Paul in the poem." Commissioned by the Dante Society of America)
  • Life of St. Francis/The Soul's Journey into God is cited as well.

There are seven pages of bibliography and supplemental readings listed in the Cook and Herzman Teaching Company course booklet. I've only listened to a few of the lectures --so none of this may be helpful. ITA; it's good to see you back again! -- Martha

I don't know how to thank all of you enough! You have all given me excellent suggestions! I have e-mailed a link to this thread to my daughter and urged her to read it. Somewhere I have just one teaching company lecture on Dante, but not the whole set. I need to take a look at buying that; there is a lot in Dante and it would make an excellent resource for our family in general.

Thank you all!

I don't know how to thank all of you enough! You have all given me excellent suggestions! I have e-mailed a link to this thread to my daughter and urged her to read it. Somewhere I have just one teaching company lecture on Dante, but not the whole set. I need to take a look at buying that; there is a lot in Dante and it would make an excellent resource for our family in general.

Thank you all!

I think Eight said it is one of her favorites lecture series from TC. If I have remembered it right, that is strong praise.