Menu

Pre-K and Kindergarten Forum

tabrizia

I was wondering if we could get a seperate Pre-K/Kindergarten forum under the K-8 curriculum forum. It can be a bit overwhelming when you are first starting out and feel like an outsider to post at all, and I know that a number of parents with pre-K and K age kids feel intimidated asking their questions and feel like they don't get an answer when they do ask. A subforum, focused on the very early years would help a lot, since it would be focused on the 3 - 6 age range. There are so many ideas on how to best address this age range amongst everyone that it would be helpful to have a place to discuss our thoughts and concerns about these ages, plus it would be a nice place for newer parents looking for information about the early years to find it and connect to other members on the forums.

I think it'd be a great idea! I know I've held back from posting questions because it seems so intimidating - but I also need the advice, because DS is not one of those who is happy to sit and be read to and play with playdough all day. Sometimes I wish he was, lol! Not to mention, the posts get lost in the boards because there is so much going on with people who have older kids. So some people never get an answer and they leave without any advice and others end up feeling foolish because they either don't get answered or don't find what they are looking for. No one means to dismiss but it sometimes seems that way and newer homeschoolers with the prek crowd might end up feeling like "hey, I shouldn't have asked." I've had that happen myself. I think it'd be a huge help to a lot of people.

Oh, yes please!! My kids all fall in this range. Many times it seems like most of the recommendations I find are for 2nd grade and up. The pre-K/K (maybe even 1st) group have such different needs than the 2-6 grade levels, and even more so for the middle school group.

I have noticed often, that when a parent of a very young child comes asking for advice, they get a lot of "just let them follow you around, give them paint, read out loud," or just rather make a mockery of "teaching" that young. I mean I do agree that everything is learning at a young age, but some kids really thrive on a bit of educative material. Both my kids liked to "write" when they were 3-4. Just letters and numbers. They liked card games and counting games, things like that. I can imagine it could be overwhelming and intimidating for a new parent/home schooler to ask questions. It is a busy place here.

I think the suggestion is a good one. And also I very much value opinions from those with prek-k kids, because I think they are sometimes better to give advice than those who haven't had young kids for years and years. Not that I don't value EVERYONE'S advice when given nicely.....I just mean when you've got little kids you have to be creative, avoid tantrums, figure out their learning style, etc. With early learners you really ARE in the thick of it.

I think this would be a great idea. There are so many age-appropriate, educational activities that can be done with the littles, and since it's not really a purchased curriculum age there is all the more need for an exchange of creative ideas, etc. I am always happy to see homeschooling spaces create a welcoming area for the preschool crowd. With today's push to put littles in school at ever-younger ages, those keeping them home need support!

I think this would be a great idea. There are so many age-appropriate, educational activities that can be done with the littles, and since it's not really a purchased curriculum age there is all the more need for an exchange of creative ideas, etc. I am always happy to see homeschooling spaces create a welcoming area for the preschool crowd. With today's push to put littles in school at ever-younger ages, those keeping them home need support!

I totally agree. The age gets younger and younger to put them in school. It is excellent to start thinking about this early, and gathering materials to look through and figure out how it all works.

Children who are going to be homeschooled need to be prepared for school. The preparatory skills are quite different in a family setting, but surely we all agree you don't ignore a toddler's intellectual development until he reaches age 5 and then, out of a clear blue sky, plunk him down at a desk with Singapore Earlybird. That toddler's parent might need a place to learn how to interact with him in a way that helps him develop as a whole, healthy child who will be ready to learn. Parents need this support especially if they live in an area where practically all of the other 2-4yo's go away to preschool. If that's true, the family is going to feel like counter-cultural homeschoolers even though the child is not yet of compulsory school age.

And families with preschoolers can have different challenges. Some have advanced children who are reading at two or three years old (one of mine did) and parents need to know how to guide such a tiny child in his studies. Others do not have accelerated children, but need more advice and guidance in nurturing a child in ways that prepare him to learn academic lessons later. Lots of parents never had anyone model early childhood education for them. I'm not talking about a preschool curriculum; I'm just talking about parenting through those years in ways that help children grow. New parents of preschoolers might need someplace to ask experienced mothers how to help their child learn through play, singing, walks, bedtime stories, etc.

Good foundations make for less frustration later. I hope WTM will decide to host a preschool board.

EDITED for gender neutrality. Previously, this post was entirely mom-centered, but then I saw SpyCar "like" several posts in this thread and I realized my mistake.

I love this idea. I have two in this age range and I am already feeling like I am going against the grain because they're not in preschool. I think having a dedicated area where moms like that can all talk would be wonderful. The K8 board is wonderful but moves quickly and posts often get buried.

• 4 weeks later...

I completely agree!

Children who are going to be homeschooled need to be prepared for school. The preparatory skills are quite different in a family setting, but surely we all agree you don't ignore a toddler's intellectual development until he reaches age 5 and then, out of a clear blue sky, plunk him down at a desk with Singapore Earlybird. That toddler's parent might need a place to learn how to interact with him in a way that helps him develop as a whole, healthy child who will be ready to learn. Parents need this support especially if they live in an area where practically all of the other 2-4yo's go away to preschool. If that's true, the family is going to feel like counter-cultural homeschoolers even though the child is not yet of compulsory school age.

And families with preschoolers can have different challenges. Some have advanced children who are reading at two or three years old (one of mine did) and parents need to know how to guide such a tiny child in his studies. Others do not have accelerated children, but need more advice and guidance in nurturing a child in ways that prepare him to learn academic lessons later. Lots of parents never had anyone model early childhood education for them. I'm not talking about a preschool curriculum; I'm just talking about parenting through those years in ways that help children grow. New parents of preschoolers might need someplace to ask experienced mothers how to help their child learn through play, singing, walks, bedtime stories, etc.

Good foundations make for less frustration later. I hope WTM will decide to host a preschool board.

EDITED for gender neutrality. Previously, this post was entirely mom-centered, but then I saw SpyCar "like" several posts in this thread and I realized my mistake.