Menu

For those following WTM guidelines for history and science with Logic and Grammar stage kids...

How are you doing it? I am looking ahead to next year, when my oldest will be working at 5th grade level, and I'll have a 2nd grader and Kindergartener as well. The K'er can just tag along, but I am really having a hard time imagining what it will look like for the other two. Up until now I have combined them, having the younger do what she could. We used SOTW and the activity guides, and she colored when she felt like it, etc. We'd read a picture book or two, and maybe ds would be assigned a reader to read on his own.

The logic stage history, with the outlining, etc. looks so different! How do I combine them and not have dd overwhelmed, or ds doing too little? I mean in a nitty-gritty, "Kids, it is time for history," kind of way. Do you do a reading, AG stuff and then send the older child off to do extra work? Do you teach two separate classes, just keeping everyone roughly in the same time period?

The differences between Grammar and Logic seem so difficult to mix. I don't want to water down the hard work of the Logic stage, or frustrate my younger.

Assume I am asking the same thing about science...

We don't use SOTW, instead we use the DK book recommended for logic stage as a spine. I have a 2nd and 6th year student. Here's what we do:

Monday: Reading from the spine and any relevant passages from Library books together, with a discussion. DS12 then reads further on his own from a book of his choosing (or researches online), while DS7 and I read an age appropriate story or biography from the time period together. Something like a kid's version of Arabian nights when we are studying the beginning of the Islamic empire, or the book "You Wouldn't Want to be a Samurai" when we are studying the feudal Japan.

Tuesday: DS12 continues reading and does his outlining from the reading. We have taken a brief rest from outlining right now but he will resume soon. Instead, he has been just making a list of interesting facts from the reading. DS7 works on a notebooking page, which includes narration (I write it down for him most days), pictures or anything else he wants to include. Sometimes I find a neat notebooking page online that I print out for him to use. We may also do a small project, like play a game from the culture/time period.

Thursday: DS12 writes a short composition from his reading. He may also choose to read some more on the time period. Both boys work on their timelines and maps.

Hope that helps!

Well, I wouldn't say I have mine separated, but in a way I do. I taught my dd10 (5th grade) how to do the WTM logic stage work: how to make an outline from the KHE and how to use her new Geography Coloring Book, how to do her timeline, how to choose and research a topic for her weekly summary, and how to file it in her history notebook. I wrote her a schedule of which part to do each day of the week. (MON: read the KHE, outline it, and fill in her timeline. TUES: finish outline and do the Geography Coloring Book maps, etc.) Then she is set free for the week. I also pick up books for from the SOTW A.G. and from CHOLL which she follows loosely.

We all still work on history at the same time. She will have her encyclopedia open and working while I am reading SOTW to her sister. Then she does whatever she is working on while sis and I do a narration and such. Sometimes she wants a coloring sheet too. If we do any SOTW projects they do them together. It doesn't matter if dd10 is already on another culture, she is still basically doing the same stuff. DD8 might be on Middle Egypt and dd10 has moved into Assyria, but she did Egypt last week or she is getting to it next week, so it is ok if the story books I am reading to them are from Egypt, ya know? HTH

Thank you! I am pretty new to juggling different levels--up until this year, younger was basically a tag-a-long and everything I did was geared at the older child. I feel the need to step things up for both, requiring the younger to do more, and moving the older into the new outlining/summarizing etc. pattern and your examples are helping me see how we could do this next year.

Does anyone read SOTW together and then send older child to read corresponding pgs in the KH/do the outlining, etc? I really like the idea of a shared spine, followed by separate requirements afterward. I am inclined to use the activity guide to help keep me accountable to my younger child, in terms of maps and activities.

Does anyone read SOTW together and then send older child to read corresponding pgs in the KH/do the outlining, etc? I really like the idea of a shared spine, followed by separate requirements afterward. I am inclined to use the activity guide to help keep me accountable to my younger child, in terms of maps and activities.

This is kind of what we're doing. I have a 5th and 3rd grader, and we just started our second run through SOTW1. I still read a section to them, like I have since the start, but this time they take notes (I expect better notes out of the older one), and I give them Kingfisher or Usborne encyclopedias to read the relevant page. I'm using fewer of the SOTW activities this time around, but that may be because our house is listed so half my craft stuff is packed away. I still have them do most of the mapwork pages, but sometimes add to it, plus I'll have them bring over the globe so we can talk about where things are in relation to other recent chapters. I'm also giving them the chapter tests (bought the pdf and printed twice), which we didn't bother with when they were small. They keep all of this in a binder, with mostly-WTM sections, and 10yo is doing a timeline in hers.

For science, it's been a little less WTM this year, though we are on biology like we're "supposed to" be. We did a human body unit from CHC, then an animal classification lapbook, now working through Tiner's Exploring Biology. I think 10yo has learned at least as much biology from LOF PreAlgebra1 though.

Thanks for the invite redsquirrel. I have been venturing in now and again to check things out. Frankly I am a little cranky, because I thought by the time I was visiting the Logic stage board, I'd know what I was doing! Don't I get issued some wisdom soon? Shouldn't the Marmee Fairy be making a delivery to my house?

(The Logic stage board scares me just a little--all those wise, grown up people...)

Your kids are the same age span as mine minus the 3rd, but I do keep a preschool aged niece, so in that since I have a part time preschooler :) I was in the same place as you at this time last year. I realized I was very close to the logic stage and had to start re learning everything. By the 4th year of grammar stage you have a pattern going, and boom. All of a sudden everything changes in 5th grade LOL. But seriously, the transition hasn't been that tough. All of those skills you have been honing really do pay off. The logic stage history in a sense is easier because she has been through it all before, and she can do it so independently. So come on over. I am there with all of those wise grown up people. They haven't kicked me out yet. You will be safe....

When my youngests were little, I bought Lincoln Logs, Legos and now have Keva Planks as well as crayons and lots of paper. During history or science reading, I would let them build or draw what we were reading about. As long as they were quiet they could continue. Throughout the years, my twins built Jamestown, the Taj Mahal, The Parthenon etc.. They learned a ton and still were engaged.

This is pretty much what we do. I read the SOTW chapter aloud (because they both love SOTW). Then DD10 is responsible for reading the KHE pages and outlining, and I assign her some independent reading too. I assign DD7 independent reading as well if I can find something on her level. If I can't, I usually still hand her something and tell she needs to read through it, look at the pictures, etc. She usually gets fairly pulled in :D We do the timeline together because I like the chatter about what we learned that goes with it. (DD7 is pretty sharp, so it sort of acts as a mini discussion group for us.) And they do the maps together as well. I'm not pushing too much onto DD10 because she has a lot of other work she does independently at the moment, and this is as much as she can handle. I'm OK with that.

HTH!

(And I'm still waiting for my Logic stage wisdom delivery as well. It's quite late. With my luck, it will arrive just in time for the Rhetoric stage *sigh*)

(The Logic stage board scares me just a little--all those wise, grown up people...)

:lol: Were we supposed to be wise to get in there? Somehow I've managed to slip under the radar so far (shh - nobody out me now). There's a lot to be gained by lurking.....

I've got DS doing logic stage modern times and a bonus student floating between grammar and logic. I bought History Odyssey Modern Times levels 1 and 2 and we pick and choose what is suitable for each of them. They both read SOTW and Kingfisher, DS reads other history books as well and does essays and reports. The younger one likes coloring pictures and projects. Sometimes I assign the same readers and sometimes they are different. E.g for the civil war the younger read Across Five Aprils and DS read both that and The Red Badge of Courage. It really depends on the the individual kids what will work best.

With science they are both doing Physics but I haven't combined anything except a few experiments. DS is happy working independently with a High School textbook and Udacity Physics and the younger is not quite ready for Logic stage so we are using Elemental Science grammar stage.