Menu

Anybody else doing the Around the World Christmas study?

The e-book has links to Time and National Geographic kids with videos and information on size and population. We read the blog and links. I have found Merry Christmas in each language and I added bigger maps. We color and label the country of the day. He is learning a lot, dd is getting a fun art project each day and we are having fun with it :)

Is anybody trying to use this on a Mac? I can't seem to open, print or download the file and have it all transfer properly. The headings in the "I learned" language bubble and in the flag box just show up as black/grey pixelated squares.

It looks fine in google docs, but when I try to print or download, it all goes wonky.

I plan to try a Pavlova this weekend! First I have to find the right ingredients...she lists a weird sugar, and corn flour? I may have to use what I have and hope it works...

I didn't look at the recipe but is it caster sugar? That is a super fine sugar - so whatever you use make sure it is fine or your pavlova will be very crunchy :laugh: Cornflour is a thickener -I imagine it is used to make the egg whites stiff. Don't be discouraged if the Pavlova doesn't turn out - even us Aussies have a hard time with it - it's sort of like sponge cake - lots of things have to come together right to get it to work. If you're a hopeless cook like me -don't even try it :laugh:

I can't get to her blog to find the posts :confused1:

Caster sugar is called "superfine sugar" in the USA. Apparently it's in a "domino" box if that means anything to you. You can also make it yourself by grinding granulated sugar in a food processor or coffee grinder.

Cornflour = cornstarch in the USA.

Edited by sewingmama

Ah! Thanks! Corn starch and supervise sugar I can handle ;) I love to cook. We bake all the time, so I am excited to try it out!!

I didn't look at the recipe but is it caster sugar? That is a super fine sugar - so whatever you use make sure it is fine or your pavlova will be very crunchy :laugh: Cornflour is a thickener -I imagine it is used to make the egg whites stiff. Don't be discouraged if the Pavlova doesn't turn out - even us Aussies have a hard time with it - it's sort of like sponge cake - lots of things have to come together right to get it to work. If you're a hopeless cook like me -don't even try it :laugh:

Caster sugar is called "superfine sugar" in the USA. Apparently it's in a "domino" box if that means anything to you. You can also make it yourself by grinding granulated sugar in a food processor or coffee grinder.

Domino is just a brand.

Love that we can get Pavlova at Woolies here.

I'm kind of a dork....just spent my whole X-Mas card budget on buying Koala and Kangaroo-themed cards to send to family and friends around the world. Really wanted to find some kind of card with "six white boomers" but, alas, none were to be found.

I fully expect my first aussie X-Mas experience to involve sand, salt water, extreme heat and white wine. Maybe a good case of sunburn to turn me rosey-cheeked.

It is nice to be back somewhere where Christmas Crackers are easily and readily available in every store (missed that when I left Montreal), but seriously what is with purple and silver being the chosen X-mas colours, or is that just a WA thing?

I plan to try a Pavlova this weekend! First I have to find the right ingredients...she lists a weird sugar, and corn flour? I may have to use what I have and hope it works...

How low can you turn down your oven? It seems many models now won't run low enough to cook a pav.

Jen, I think the purple and silver thing is less a WA thing than a commercial thing. I'm all for eclectic messes myself. :)

It has a warming setting at 170 I think. I will have to check.

How low can you turn down your oven? It seems many models now won't run low enough to cook a pav.

Jen, I think the purple and silver thing is less a WA thing than a commercial thing. I'm all for eclectic messes myself. :)

Thanks for posting this. Ds is on the old side for doing this, so I'm just having him read the blog posts & tell me what they said while I get lunch ready each day.

Can someone send a link to me of her blog posts? My computer can't seem to get anything. I get the passport, but not the blog. And how did this thread turn into a recipe thread? I'm not being snarky; I honestly don't see why that happened.

Alley

Can someone send a link to me of her blog posts? My computer can't seem to get anything. I get the passport, but not the blog. And how did this thread turn into a recipe thread? I'm not being snarky; I honestly don't see why that happened.

Alley

http://www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2012/10/christmas-around-world.html

if you look above the place where she has the button there are other blogs to visit for that country, I think that is how it is working there is also a pinterest thing you can follow.

Yes, go to that link & look under the section where you can get the free ebook & passport. There is a little heading titled, "Travel Along with us DAILY here" -- the links under that are the ones I'm using. So far, the ones posted are:

1. Brazil

2. China

3. Australia

4. Canada

5. Quebec, Canada

6. Nicaragua

From the library, I picked up the book Christmas Worldwide by Cathy Tucker. It is an alphabetical listing of various countries & some details of how they celebrate Christmas. I have my ds read the section that goes along w/ the blog for the day.

The recipe was part of the Australia blog.

Alley

My kids decorated the tree by themselves this year - it is definately an eclectic mess :laugh: Although now that you mention it - it is very purple dominant - most likely because DD had the final say when it came to decoration choice :rofl: