Menu

3rd Grade Writing

MrsBanjoClown

I am planning on using MCT Island with DS8 next year for third grade. I am debating on what to do about writing. This year we are using Primary Language Lessons and he is doing narrations for history. I am trying to decide between WWE3 and IEW for next year. I love the idea of IEW but the price is so high! (We can buy it, I'm just not sure if it's worth it when there are less expensive options.) Which one would go best with MCT? Would it be better to do WWE3 for 3rd and then do IEW starting in 4th or 5th with MCT Town?

I am planning on using MCT Island with DS8 next year for third grade. I am debating on what to do about writing. This year we are using Primary Language Lessons and he is doing narrations for history. I am trying to decide between WWE3 and IEW for next year. I love the idea of IEW but the price is so high! (We can buy it, I'm just not sure if it's worth it when there are less expensive options.) Which one would go best with MCT? Would it be better to do WWE3 for 3rd and then do IEW starting in 4th or 5th with MCT Town?

I'm a huge fan of IEW and am leading a co-op class right now with 3rd-6th graders. I actually borrowed TWSS from a friend and went through it in about 2 weeks one summer. I bought my own notebook (about $30) so I'd have all the notes. If you could do something similar, all you'd need for your child is a theme book, which is about $30 as well. If you don't have a friend who owns the dvds, the book, Blended Structure and Style, is the text that IEW is based on. The co-op is using IEW's SWI-A, but thankfully one of the moms found it for a great price and is just loaning it to us. The moms of my group are super excited about IEW because all the kids (13 in the class) are doing very well. I have no experience with MCT or WWE, so I can't really speak to those programs.

I am just starting my currently after schooled 3rd graders on IEW. On the simple question of whether IEW is worth the money, and taking out of the equation the possibility that you don't like it, then, yes, IEW is definitely worth it. You don't get it in them ail and then think, this is really nothing! I can't believe I paid all that money for this. It's a very elaborate thing that is quite substantial, especially if you combine TWSS with a prepared curriculum sub-package like SWI-a. Of course you may not like it, but not because it is unsubstantial. If you like it, it is like having a heavy duty construction truck at your side helping you accomplish a lot.

Wwe prepared curriculum is not an option For us because the vocabulary in the reading samples is way out of reach for my kids, while the copywork and dictation is perhaps a little too easy. This is a big problem with wwe for us. The whole wwe method itself may be good though, where you use SWB methods on your own source material-- but then it's your whole creation and you have to be extra disciplined and organized. I felt my less than stellar literary scholar son does well with copywork and dictation.

After e few weeks of IEW, I am still a fan. I am a writing teacher myself for college, and belong philosophically to the creative exp<b></b>ression wing of writing instruction and do not shae many IEW values. But, I feel it's great that my 3rd grade barely writers are learning writing structures, as awkward and "unnatural" as it may seem. sometimes I feel it would be so much more easy if they started IEW at grade4. Other times aim grateful that we are starting now, and they are challenged to write in structured ways beyond their years, and have the proper guidance to do simply by following cleverly designed instructions. I feel that doing this at grade 3 is right, and that next year we can leave IEW behind and do something more independent and creative. I feel they are learning a can do attitude at an early age.

But of course I do not and will never know whether doing it in 3rd or 4th will be best. These are some thoughts you might like to eavesdrop on!

I should add that I do mix it up with IEW, interrupting it with more open ended writing sessions, then returning back to the curriculum where we left off. I think this is a must in any family that feels IEW is a little tedious. the other day we all sat down and wrote non-stop about our choice of kingdoms from Avatar the Last Airbender, then read them with no correcting and no evaluation and no expectations. it felt very much like my children were actually children.

I used IEW for a while with my DS8 (3rd grade) and thought it would be a hit. It didn't work here. As the PP's commented, not because it is not substanial but because it just did not click with us and we liked the other things we were using more. So, back it goes as it was a large investment. I think it is a worthwhile program just not for everyone. I just purchased MCT and use ILL (although I am considering going to PLL) as well. We use WWE and Writing Strands. We really enjoy it, we haven't used MCT yet but I feel like WWE and Writing Strands works well for us and gets the job done without the expense and helps build his confidence and skills. We also journal and have pen pals. Oh and I skip some of the writing in ILL.

I hope that wasn't confusing.

My suggestion would be to plan on doing WWE3 and purchase the TWSS for yourself. Go through the TWSS and actually do the excercises...even assign yourself more work from different sources. Once you spend time with it you will be comfortable enough to start doing some of the Unit 1 exercises with your dc using your own sources. Then move onto the Unit 2 work. By this time you should have a good idea of whether or not you like the program and whether it will work for your dc or not. If you decide not to use it you can send the TWSS back for a full refund. If you decide you do want to use it then just progress along at the pace you feel comfortable with. I don't think there is anything wrong with parking on Unit 1 and 2 while going through WWE. The upper units (report and essay writing) of the TWSS would not be appropriate for a 3rd grader anyway. Then you can continue and finish the rest of the program using your own sources, use the SWI, or a themed program for 4th grade.

Keep in mind that IEW has a great return policy. If you don't like it or think it's not worth the money, you can return it at any time.

We're using IEW for 3rd and next year in 4th. We're in unit 3 now (hardest one for ME to teach). Like a PP, I alternate with other resources. I have a reluctant writer, and IEW has gotten him out of his shell. It was worth every penny just for that!

I own TWSS and believe it was worth every penny. However i had families at my co-op contribute to the price in exchange for teaching their children.

A less expensive way to try IEW is to buy the All Things Fun and Fascinating book (perfect for 3rd and 4th graders) and also purchase the parent Overview DVD--it has the program creator explaining the philosophy and the basics.

We are doing IEW level A this year with my 2nd and 3rd grader and I really like it although my kids are behind in their curriculum so they are older than typical kids would be in those grade levels so I won't know for sure until my third child is 7 how it works for real in 2nd grade. That being said I really think it is preparing them well to write in 4th-6th grade for Essentials (CC) and they will be much more independent by that time which will make my life easier. I have seen great improvement in their writing since doing IEW and even enthusiasm from them where there was none before. I highly recommend it! (We are doing Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales by the way and next year my second one will do All Things Fun and Fascinating).