Menu

Quick ecclesiastical Latin pronounciation question

SorrelZG

Prima Latina teaches soft c as "ch" and I just noticed that the lady on Latin Memory Songs is pronouncing it as "s" so I looked up my Henle grammar and it's taught as "s" there also. We made the choice between classical and ecclesiastical pronounciation - I didn't realize there would be more decisions to make within ecclesiastical pronounciation and this is mildly irritating. Is there a "why" behind the difference in these ecclesiastical Latin curricula? Is there a right or wrong or is this just another preference?

Hmmm, I haven't looked into other Latin programs, so I haven't heard of this before. MP consistently pronounces the "c" before an "i" or an "e" as "ch" in PL, LC I, and FFL, but I haven't heard any audio outside of those programs (beside the Latin Christmas CD from CAP). My goal is for my children to eventually transition to Henle after the Forms series, so I guess I had better look into it a bit closer.

I'm from the school of thought there is no right/wrong--only preference. Well, I'm sure the pronounciation really matters to some people, depending on what they want to do with Latin down the road. Because I want my kids to have a working knowledge of the language and be able to transition into the romance languages with ease, along with acqiuring a well-rounded grasp of derivatives, pronounciation is secondary.

Prima Latina teaches soft c as "ch" and I just noticed that the lady on Latin Memory Songs is pronouncing it as "s" so I looked up my Henle grammar and it's taught as "s" there also. We made the choice between classical and ecclesiastical pronounciation - I didn't realize there would be more decisions to make within ecclesiastical pronounciation and this is mildly irritating. Is there a "why" behind the difference in these ecclesiastical Latin curricula? Is there a right or wrong or is this just another preference?

I'm no pronunciation expert, and I like "the other" pronunciation, but I've never heard soft c as "s". Now, "sc" isn't a soft c, and sounds mostly like "s" --is that what you are hearing?

And, for the record, whichever pronunciation you choose, using it consistently makes spelling much, much easier.

I'm no pronunciation expert, and I like "the other" pronunciation, but I've never heard soft c as "s". Now, "sc" isn't a soft c, and sounds mostly like "s" --is that what you are hearing?

And, for the record, whichever pronunciation you choose, using it consistently makes spelling much, much easier.

I don't have any audio resources for Henle, it just reads (in the Latin Grammar): "Hard c as in cat; soft c as in cell." Unless I'm mispronouncing "cell". Maybe it was a typo and they meant "cello". :tongue_smilie: None the less, the lady on Latin Memory Songs is pronouncing "circum" so that the "cir" is like the "cir" in the English "circle".