Menu

Empty Avatars Are Freaky

goldberry

This is probably a small deal in the big scheme, but it does affect the "feel" of the board.

When people haven't uploaded an avatar, there used to just be nothing. Now there is that generic anonymous looking avatar. It feels like they've been whited out to protect their identity, like witness protection! My eye keeps being drawn to it and it gives me an odd feeling of being really disconnected with the person.

Could we go back to just not showing anything?

I plan on setting up avatars that you can choose from.

What if multiple people select the same Avatar? Between this possibility, and the fact uses can change their names at will, I think this will create more identity confusion that just having no Avatars for those who chose not to upload one (as before).

Bill

I could only find one picture small enough . . . I had one that was 57k but it said it was too big. this was like 15 . . . hope i dont get kicked off for it . . i mostly use it to spike my soy hot cocoa!

Can't imagine that happening. Mrs. Mungo is still here!

(Posting with my creepy empty avatar profile..sorry!)

What if multiple people select the same Avatar? Between this possibility, and the fact uses can change their names at will, I think this will create more identity confusion that just having no Avatars for those who chose not to upload one (as before).

Bill

Usually the generic ones are pretty, well, generic, so you do recognize them as "don't remember this person by this generic avatar", if that makes sense.

Usually the generic ones are pretty, well, generic, so you do recognize them as "don't remember this person by this generic avatar", if that makes sense.

If an avatar is useless for establishing an online identity, it is useless. Just don't have one. Multiple "generic" avatars add nothing and create potential confusion.

Bill

You can search "free avatars", there a quite a few sites you can get them from! Or, someone else gave instructions for how to take a pic of your own and resize it.

You can search "free avatars", there a quite a few sites you can get them from! Or, someone else gave instructions for how to take a pic of your own and resize it.

Think I found one that will work :drool5:

Where does one find a cute avatar to upload? :bored:

I just googled a Totoro image (no clue why that was the first thing I thought to google), found one that seemed to go nicely with the new background, and followed the directions here on the website for making it an avatar. It just now occurred to me that I might be using someone's bandwidth by using it. Hmmm....

I hereby suggest using a photo of a bee-striped cupcake or a bee in a kilt rather than the blank figure. I'm sure someone with artistic inclination could whip one right up.

I could only find one picture small enough . . . I had one that was 57k but it said it was too big. this was like 15 . . . hope i dont get kicked off for it . . i mostly use it to spike my soy hot cocoa!

All of us with drinking avatar's need to start a group. :coolgleamA:

(Where is the winking smiley! I really need him back)

I had one, decided to change it, didn't like that, found the rest of the photos I have are too large and now have this nothing since my old one isn't on this computer. Is there an easy way to make something smaller so that it can fit in the avatar spot?

pic monkey!

Click edit a photo then once you get it uploaded resize it. Then save it back to your computer.

I hereby suggest using a photo of a bee-striped cupcake or a bee in a kilt rather than the blank figure. I'm sure someone with artistic inclination could whip one right up.

That would be cool in place of the silhouette. Maybe if someone finds the favicon they can resize it to fit.

Okay, I'm downloading it now. Thanks.

ETA --it did not download because my antivirus/spyware/etc software detected some kind of spy or ad ware!!!!! I'll have to see if my picture software that I almost never use and do this.

Hmmm... I don't remember downloading anything when I first used pic monkey.

Okay, I'm downloading it now. Thanks.

ETA --it did not download because my antivirus/spyware/etc software detected some kind of spy or ad ware!!!!! I'll have to see if my picture software that I almost never use and do this.

Karin, looks like you still didn't get your avatar to work. I've posted before about shrinkpictures.com where you can resize your photos really easy so they'll work on the WTM site. It even has a thing to make a picture into an avatar. No downloading necessary either. :)

Karin, looks like you still didn't get your avatar to work. I've posted before about shrinkpictures.com where you can resize your photos really easy so they'll work on the WTM site. It even has a thing to make a picture into an avatar. No downloading necessary either. :)

Thanks. I haven't tried again, but I'm going to go there now so I can bookmark it for later :) .