Menu

Be brutal -am I doing enough? 1st/2nd grade

Papillon Mom

She just turned 7.

Reading- Phonics road 5x/week, Etc- we used to do it everyday as a supplement but time has been getting away from me and so now its more like 2x/week, FLL1- 2x/week

Math- Right Start C 5x/week, Horizons 2 5x/week ( I use this as a bit of review and drill) it is easy for her.

Handwriting- Pentime 2 5x/week -she likes this and is looking forward to cursive

History- SOTW Ancients 3x/week with supplemental books from reading lists from library, activity book activities, haven't started doing written narrations yet- its been getting away from me

Science- 1x/2weeks- I'm thinking of switching over to the WTM Science recommendations and have a whole bunch of books at the library to pick up and look over-- This is just not getting done enough

Piano- 1 hour/day

Violin- 1 hour 15 min/day

Mom reads aloud- 1 hour-ish/day

Speech therapy 2x/week

swim lessons 2x/week

ballet 1x/week

barn/pony time 2x/week

Thank you for any input.

After I've written it all down it doesn't seem too shabby but I worry about messing her up with my crummy homeschooling.

Are we doing enough? Please be brutal...

I know her music is a lot but it is important to her and she loves her teachers. We've slowly increased the time, she has been playing for 3 and 4 years. It comes pretty natural, at the point. I worry that she isn't doing enough school work. What do you think?

What do YOU think? That's what ultimately is important. :) You can see in my siggie what my 7 year old is doing. She is my youngest, so I have the benefit of experience in taming my anxiety about "doing enough" most days. Is your dd learning? Progressing? If so, I think she is fine. My dd is doing a mixture of 1st and 2nd grade curriculum this year, as well. The early years are very nice and unpressured. Enjoy!

Reading- Phonics road 5x/week, Etc- we used to do it everyday as a supplement but time has been getting away from me and so now its more like 2x/week, FLL1- 2x/week

Math- Right Start C 5x/week, Horizons 2 5x/week ( I use this as a bit of review and drill) it is easy for her.

Handwriting- Pentime 2 5x/week -she likes this and is looking forward to cursive

Honestly - I think this is all you need. The rest of the time should be spent reading, learning, and enriching her mind and body - and exposing her to basics of history/geography/literature/science in whatever format you choose - which is exactly what you are doing!

That IS an immense amount of music practice. My 7 yr old enjoys her cello, but does only about 15-20 minutes of practice a day at this point. But if she enjoys it and that's her thing, more power to her!

You have all the basics covered, plus some extras. Looks perfectly fine to me. :) That's about what my oldest did (minus the music) when he was in first grade. My middle son will likely do a little less next year. He'll turn 7 in the fall of his first grade year (and will be doing some 2nd grade work, particularly in math).

I think it's more than enough, to be honest.

With the music, its your call...but as a former child "prodigy" in a sport, let me tell you....she may think she enjoys it now but resentment will kick in. I would ease up to avoid burnout and other problems. There is NO reason a child needs to practice anything for hours a day. Just my (been there done that) 2 cents.

I didn't notice any writing (not penmanship). Other than daily copywork from quality literature and an assigned reading block, your list looks similar to what my first graders did. Mine did math, grammar, phonics or spelling, WTM-style writing, and reading on a daily basis. History and science staggered like in the OP.

That's plenty. You're fine. I wouldn't even worry about adding written narrations to SOTW at that age honestly. IMHO that is the age you're trying to instill an interest in history and establish a base for deeper studies when they are older. I wouldn't make a 1st grader still learning to read try to write anything about Ancient history. I wouldn't expect complete understanding or even retention. But then again i don't even start SOTW until about 3rd.

But now I'll be the one taking the bait here and ask: do you do any spelling? It really depends on your philosophy of when to start spelling. But I like to give brief spelling lessons along with learning our phonics.

I wouldn't worry about doing two math programs. I use two (especially in those grades) and one is usually done in a lighter way. Doesn't take very long at all.

I'm not trying to rude... but is this just to get a pat on the back? I mean, obviously this is plenty if not too much.

Wow that was harsh. If her schedual makes you feel this way that is your problem not the OP :(

I think it looks similar to what my first grade son and K son is doing! We don't always get to formal science, but we do nature walks. He gets a lot more barn time, lol. He is doing art as well. My son loves art. I would just do a simple book for now with everything you have. He loves How Great Thou Art, very easy to implement! Also I put together a spelling list each week, does she do spelling in phonics road? I'm not familiar with that program.

I'm not trying to rude... but is this just to get a pat on the back? I mean, obviously this is plenty if not too much.

Wow that was harsh. If her schedual makes you feel this way that is your problem not the OP :(

I think it looks similar to what my first grade son and K son is doing! We don't always get to formal science, but we do nature walks. He gets a lot more barn time, lol. He is doing art as well. My son loves art. I would just do a simple book for now with everything you have. He loves How Great Thou Art, very easy to implement! Also I put together a spelling list each week, does she do spelling in phonics road? I'm not familiar with that program.

We are doing grammar and phonics with both boys. They do not seem to have any trouble with the two?

I'm just saying that I can't imagine who wouldn't know this is plenty. I guess there's nothing wrong with a need for validation... sometimes we don't get it enough in homeschooling. And I don't think there's anything wrong with her schedule. The music seems like a bit much, but I'm assume it must be her dd's "thing" and other than that, it's not that different from our 2nd grade line up.

I'm just saying that I can't imagine who wouldn't know this is plenty. I guess there's nothing wrong with a need for validation... sometimes we don't get it enough in homeschooling.

About twice a year I freak out and ask a homeschooling mentor if my plan is "enough". This is my fifth year homeschooling so I am not a newbie, but I continue to need the validation. Some people don't, but I don't have much opportunity for validation so I appreciate receiving it. Also, in the early years, doing the actual curriculum takes so little time (compared to public and private schools) that it is not uncommon for folks to wonder if they are doing "enough", I think. That is the spirit in which I took the OP's post.

I've never used the phonics program you're using. The only thing I didn't see on your list is grammar and art, and I'm not sure if grammar is built into your program or not. Even if she's not reading fluently yet, you can still do some parts of speech games. You have a nice activity schedule, and everything else looks great.

She has FLL, that is grammar memorization I believe.

I am with the person that said that you may need some writing. I did it in first grade in the form of copywork from our history and science narrations. We would work on the narration orally, and I did have mine copy the first sentence or so in their own hand as copywork. It is a gentle way to start classical type writing: copywork and narration, in one step. You could instead choose to write out sentences for them to copy from literature or from the science or history books or poetry.

It's not totally clear to me -- is your daughter reading? I really pushed the reading until my oldest was through phonics and able to read independently. I would be doing that, in your situation. If she is already reading, do you have any place for that, or is it all included in Phonics Road? I'm not familiar with the program.

She just turned 7.

History- SOTW Ancients 3x/week with supplemental books from reading lists from library, activity book activities, haven't started doing written narrations yet- its been getting away from me

Science- 1x/2weeks- I'm thinking of switching over to the WTM Science recommendations and have a whole bunch of books at the library to pick up and look over-- This is just not getting done enough

Piano- 1 hour/day

Violin- 1 hour 15 min/day

Mom reads aloud- 1 hour-ish/day

Speech therapy 2x/week

swim lessons 2x/week

ballet 1x/week

barn/pony time 2x/week

Thank you for any input.

After I've written it all down it doesn't seem too shabby but I worry about messing her up with my crummy homeschooling.

Are we doing enough? Please be brutal...

Yes! A

You guys are awesome! I'm surprised that people think its obvious. Have you seen people's signatures and blogs? I thought you'd yell at me for skimping on geography, social science, science, logic, foreign language... I wasn't prepared for the intense worry part of homeschooling. Silly me, I thought it'd be such a clear and obvious path but I'm plagued by doubt.

Phonics Road is a complete language arts curriculum with spelling and reading and narrations. She reads pretty well, she is working through Little House in the Big Woods but needs my help with words every 3 lines or so. So, not fluent but getting there. I don't love how it teaches grammar hence the FLL. We also do simpler books for practice for 15ishmin /day.

I agree that Science is not getting done enough. I'm really considering the Wtm approach. Picked up some resources from the library today.

I wish that we could be less rigid but I have a kid that needs the structure.

To those that said it borders on too much, other than the music, what do you mean? Is it the 2 Maths? The horizon is easy but I really like that it makes her do some more American style traditional math just in case she is ever tested in more that style...

I would love to do art. I'm gonna research what wtm says and then try to stick it in somewhere.

Thanks again so much ladies. I know you choose what to spend your time responding to so thanks a million.

To those that said it borders on too much, other than the music, what do you mean?

I think what those posters mean is that they find more value in a 7yo having a lot of free time to learn and grow versus the time to cover 2 math programs, 2 hours of music practice, formal science and history, and lots of extracurriculars. For me, personally, my 2nd grade 7yos do about 90 min of work. Their formal work is all 3Rs. Science is organic via nature study and outside play time. History and geography is more cultural literacy - Columbus Day, locate our state on a map, etc. I value free play at those ages far more than formal content areas, and my kids get large chunks (as in hours) of free play every day.

FWIW, I also *couldn't* have the list you have for my 2nd graders. I have too many kids to teach.

You guys are awesome! I'm surprised that people think its obvious. Have you seen people's signatures and blogs? I thought you'd yell at me for skimping on geography, social science, science, logic, foreign language... I wasn't prepared for the intense worry part of homeschooling. Silly me, I thought it'd be such a clear and obvious path but I'm plagued by doubt.

Phonics Road is a complete language arts curriculum with spelling and reading and narrations. She reads pretty well, she is working through Little House in the Big Woods but needs my help with words every 3 lines or so. So, not fluent but getting there. I don't love how it teaches grammar hence the FLL. We also do simpler books for practice for 15ishmin /day.

I agree that Science is not getting done enough. I'm really considering the Wtm approach. Picked up some resources from the library today.

I wish that we could be less rigid but I have a kid that needs the structure.

To those that said it borders on too much, other than the music, what do you mean? Is it the 2 Maths? The horizon is easy but I really like that it makes her do some more American style traditional math just in case she is ever tested in more that style...

I would love to do art. I'm gonna research what wtm says and then try to stick it in somewhere.

Thanks again so much ladies. I know you choose what to spend your time responding to so thanks a million.

Logic is for logic stage. Foreign Lang can be started later. "Social Science" is not in the classical vein--It's "social studies" in PS, and it covers things like Community Helpers and nonsense like that (in my rather-strong-opinion...lol!). You are doing history with SOTW, so you are covering geography, history, and even some art as you work in activities and mapping. You are fine!

One little suggestion is to use your subject content to practice skills that are already developed.

For example, you could bag Pentime by doing something like...

Combine art, science, and writing by doing Nature Study once a week. Check out Harmony Arts blog for great ideas. Child draws from nature, Mom scribes a narration on the page, and then child can copy one sentence. You can have her copy a line from a nature poem, too, and maybe illustrate it, or take a photo (my kid loves the camera). Set up a nature table near your door or in your kid's room (or schoolroom, whatever) and choose one thing to look at carefully and then draw. Find the latin name for things and copy that into the notebook occasionally, or use a field guide and just write the name. Press leaves and flowers and add them in. It's fun, and teaches excellent observation skills, which are the basis for scientific studies.

Same with history--make a notebook page every week or so, with a famous figure at the top (or an event), and then a Mom-scribed narration under it. Child can take one sentence from it and copy it. Check out Hannah's Homeschool Helps yahoo group for free, downloadable little pictures that you can print off--they are all coordinated to SOTW and are really quite pretty.

As far as music, hmmmm--My dd plays viola and piano. She's in PS and doesn't take viola lessons, just has orchestra. Piano is private (45 min lesson 1xwk). She is in her 4th year for piano and 3rd for orchestra (that is 3x a week for an hour and a half). She practices about 5-6 days a week in piano for roughly 30 mins, but then plays for pleasure at other times.

Maybe you could cut some of the mandatory practice time and just have her play for pleasure--unless she's driven by her own interest. But if that interest wanes, I'd just set a minimum and let it go, and let her decide how much to play after that minimum is met, and the min wouldn't be an hour, more like 20-30 minutes. But YMMV.

I'd also just do one math program, but if you feel you need more facts practice or something, do it informally.

I think you will find reassurance and freedom when you read the approach to science and art in WTM. You will study some good topics from books you like from the library, do some projects, write some notebook pages. You just have to set aside the time. Tell yourself that on Tues. afternoons at 1:30 or at 6:30pm or whenever is when you are going to do science, and do it. Pick up a book, do an activity once in awhile, have them narrate and write on what you learned. I really loved WTM style science in grammar stage. There is no feeling behind. If we got busy one week, we just picked it up the next. If we liked something, or there was an exhibit at the science museum that interested us, we stayed on that as long as we needed to. We did science fairs and spent a long time going deep on those topics.

The same for art. You just pick a time. WTM has them reading biographies of artists and such mixed in w/art and music study. You alternate every other week or so. So pick a spine or curric and do it every Mon. afternoon or every other. Then be sure that you pick up books w/biographies and different styles and such. Some suggestions: I used What Your 1st Grader Needs to Know in 1st grade alternating w/SOTW projects. So every Mon. afternoon in our art time (I am a structured type person too..) we either did a SOTW art project from last week or read a small portion of WYFGNTK and did the project suggested or one from a corresponding library book. It was easy and fun. Eventually when my dds got a bit older, we used the WTM suggestion: Drawing with Children in that art period for a couple of years. It was better for 3rd grade and up IMO, but my younger tag along learned from it too. Now I have a couple of Usborne Art books on famous artists and on the history of art. These are perfect to pull down and read from to go along with other studies.

I have the same issue with science. I'm easing into the WTM rotation idea after trying random things throughout the years. It's much easier to find books dedicated to one science topic. Although i do miss the planned out for me feeling of a science program, but I'm not a fan of anything out there really.

For art, I set aside Friday as our art time. Harmony Fine Arts grade 1 is really great to give you an idea of how to plan and schedule an art and music appreciation study. Drawing With Children is a book that will take you through many years. Artistic Pursuits is good. We're working with the K-3 Book 1. I don't really think I'll use it next year because I want a better variety of projects. But it's a great book to get started with.

You've already got the music part of art covered with the music lessons. If you just played music during the day or the Classical Kids cds and read a book like Lives of the Musicians or Getting To Know the World's Greatest Composers every now and then, it'd be enough for that age.

We've been using Meet the Masters this year for art and love it. I ordered 3 tracks, and was so pleased with it after using it for several months that I just ordered the other 4 tracks for our age-level. HSBC has it on sale right now. Each lesson has 3 parts, which I usually do over 3 days. The first part is information about the artist and the artwork. You have a script you read from and you watch a slideshow online. The second part is a learning packet -- essentially worksheets -- that let you practice techniques used by the artist. In the third part you create your piece of art, modeling it step-by-step for your child. The projects are so broken-down that they come out well even for non-artsy kids. If you use it, I recommend creating a sample piece of the project prior to teaching it. My lessons always go smoothly if I do that first, but it's hit-or-miss if I'm trying to figure out the directions AND show my kids how to do it at the same time. Meet the Masters has a free online sample lesson that introduces you to the artists and has you create a portfolio to store your work.

Don't worry if you feel a bit taken aback by some of the reactions here. There are different philosophies of education, and some people don't believe in doing a lot of structured work in the early grades. Looking back, I wish I had been a little less structured in first grade, but my kids were younger in first grade than your DD. It sounds like you're off to a great start!