Menu

what to do about back pain/muscle spasms?

A little history: I've had problems with my back for years....about 18 if I remember correctly. It comes and goes, usually with no particular warning or anything I can think of that would cause it. Once, the pain in my lower back came on so severely and so suddenly, I wound up in the ER. But, CAT scan said it was soft tissue and I was sent on my way with a PT referral. Years ago, my family practitioner said he thought it was fibromyalgia because all the trigger points were "active", but the PT flatly said it couldn't be. Anyway, PT has always helped some and I've been given a list of exercises to do when I need them. I typically always have a "golf ball" in my right upper shoulder, right lower back and a few smaller knots on the left side. No one has ever been able to get rid of those spasms. I do have some sciatica and I've been told I have SI joint "issues" and "perhaps some periformis or IT band problems." 7 years ago, I had plantar fasciatis. But, I had not had any problems or flare ups in almost 2 years. And I don't know why. I moved an entire household cross country a year ago and the back was fine. I played tennis last spring with no problems. I did attempt a running program again, but that did not go so well (stamina, shin splints mainly) but the back was fine.

Fast forward to 2 months ago. I turned my head and my neck spasmed. Later in the week, I was bending over picking up laundry and felt the familiar "twang" in my lower back. Now, the entire back, hips, and legs are tight and have spasms. It wakes me up at night. I can feel knots in my quads and my hamstrings are tight. Range of motion is reduced, strength is reduced and it just plain hurts. I usually walk 2-3 miles/day 7 days a week and I can't do that at the moment. I replaced my running/walking shoes today and bought new insoles. I started the exercises the PT recommended for just such problems and all the flexibility/stretching positions. I started glucosamine again.

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Performance-Revolutionary-Roller/dp/B0040EKZDY/ref=sr_1_fed0_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353718858&sr=8-4&keywords=foam+roller and this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Stick-TravelStick-Travel/dp/B000P7PVWU/ref=pd_sim_sg_15. I sit on balance balls and roll over them to stretch. I use this: http://www.amazon.co...=gypsy sit upon as well.

What am I missing? I know weekly massages would help, but our budget will just not allow that at the moment. Our insurance does not cover chiro either. I thought about going to my doc and asking for a PT referral. But I'm afraid he will want to run a bunch of tests that I really can't afford right now and will just tell me what they've been telling me for almost 20 years, soft tissue, sciatica, etc. Anyone know of anything else that might help?

I use Skelaxin which is now generic so the cost went down. It is a good muscle relaxant that is non-sedatine- super important to me since I don't want to sleep all day like I would with the old muscle relaxants like flexeril. Mine is most likely due to Rheumatoid arthritis flaring which causes me to move differently which stresses my muscles in strange ways and then they start spasming. When it is really bad, I also use heat wraps which help while they are hot.

In my experience, Bowen Therapy would help a lot of your issues. It's not usually too much of an on-going treatment. You might have 3 or 4 sessions, then come back as needed - can be every month or so, or every 6 months.

I am a Bowen Therapist-in-training at present, so I don't charge for treatments. I need to do at least 100 case studies before I qualify. Is there a way you could look up Bowen Associations/schools/training providers, and ask to be put in touch with an in-training-Therapist near you?

Also, I want to ask you....how much water do you drink? I've bolded it because it's so important. Water is a HUGE factor in general aches and pains, and muscle spasms. If you are a bigger person, you should be drinking more than the usual allowance. There are hydration calculators you can use, but a rule of thumb is about 33ml of water per kg of body weight (I'm Australian, so you may have to calculate pounds and fluid oz). Also you could try magnesium, and also a pinch of salt several times daily(make it a good quality salt like Celtic Sea Salt, or Himalayan Salt). Have the salt every day for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference. Salt helps facilitate the water being taken into your cells, rather than just going straight through you, which can happen.

Acupressure right into the spasm. Push a thumb into the spasm until it releases. This can take a few minutes or more and make sure you get someone that can handle applying continuous pressure. You will feel it loosen and release. Take chelated magnesium and stay hydrated. Your hormones may be triggering it too. Try progesterone cream if so. Do lots of stretching like yoga.

Acupressure right into the spasm. Push a thumb into the spasm until it releases. This can take a few minutes or more and make sure you get someone that can handle applying continuous pressure. You will feel it loosen and release. Take chelated magnesium and stay hydrated. Your hormones may be triggering it too. Try progesterone cream if so. Do lots of stretching like yoga.

2 of the spasms, the PTs tried and tried to release without success. They have been there for years and apparently don't want to leave. I wondered about my hormones. My doc lowered my estrogen dosage about a week after all the back spasms started (but left the progesterone alone).

I have intermittent back spasms; most recently a couple of months ago which resulted in an emergency MRI-- showed bulging discs and arthritis from years of riding hunters and playing softball. It kind of always hurts, and most of the time I ignore it, or use heat and massage (dh) and/or muscle relaxants when it's bad.

Recently, out of sheer whimsy, I bought a pair of Dansko professional clogs. They have a knitted pattern, and I HAD to have them! I never had any Danskos before and quite honestly, I didn't care if they were like walking on spiked planks, I HAD to have them, and I vowed I would wear them daily. They were PERFECT for me-- and they called to me. In fact, they are so "Astrid" that I've had people ask me if I had them custom-made for me, because the pattern is SO perfect-- not just knitted, but super-colorful knitted in my favorite palette of colors.

Anyway, I wore them almost daily for a week, and suddenly a couple of days ago it occurred to me-- my BACK WAS FEELING SO MUCH BETTER!! I googled and sure enough, other people have reported that they have relieved lower back pain and fatigue. Somehow I feel like I stand with better posture when wearing them, like my spine is aligned better or something.

Something to think about. YMMV of course. I hope you find some relief soon-- I know just how you feel! :bored:

Astrid

I didn't have much luck with chiro or PT relating to spasms. Mine are the same spots for 8 years now. Mine will act up easily with any hydration issue or not using my progesterone cream. I think it's a chronic issue and needs upkeep. Hopefully you can find someone skilled to work them out. I had a stroke of luck with a massage teacher who was aggressive with my worst spasm and could knock it out for months. He was very strong. It hurt while he was doing it but it was worth it.

Try epsom salt baths. I get magnesium deficient from hormone imbalance so I take it when needed.

I didn't have much luck with chiro or PT relating to spasms. Mine are the same spots for 8 years now. Mine will act up easily with any hydration issue or not using my progesterone cream. I think it's a chronic issue and needs upkeep. Hopefully you can find someone skilled to work them out. I had a stroke of luck with a massage teacher who was aggressive with my worst spasm and could knock it out for months. He was very strong. It hurt while he was doing it but it was worth it.

Try epsom salt baths. I get magnesium deficient from hormone imbalance so I take it when needed.

I've tried Calm magnesium but it didn't seem to do anything for me. Maybe another form of magnesium would work better. The PTs have always helped relieve the acute/can't move pain, but the chronic pain is another matter. That is one reason I really don't want to go down that road again (budget being another major factor). Maybe I do need more progesterone. I get another lab panel run in late December, I'll enquire about it then (if I don't wind up in his office for something else between now and then).

I have intermittent back spasms; most recently a couple of months ago which resulted in an emergency MRI-- showed bulging discs and arthritis from years of riding hunters and playing softball. It kind of always hurts, and most of the time I ignore it, or use heat and massage (dh) and/or muscle relaxants when it's bad.

Recently, out of sheer whimsy, I bought a pair of Dansko professional clogs. They have a knitted pattern, and I HAD to have them! I never had any Danskos before and quite honestly, I didn't care if they were like walking on spiked planks, I HAD to have them, and I vowed I would wear them daily. They were PERFECT for me-- and they called to me. In fact, they are so "Astrid" that I've had people ask me if I had them custom-made for me, because the pattern is SO perfect-- not just knitted, but super-colorful knitted in my favorite palette of colors.

Anyway, I wore them almost daily for a week, and suddenly a couple of days ago it occurred to me-- my BACK WAS FEELING SO MUCH BETTER!! I googled and sure enough, other people have reported that they have relieved lower back pain and fatigue. Somehow I feel like I stand with better posture when wearing them, like my spine is aligned better or something.

Something to think about. YMMV of course. I hope you find some relief soon-- I know just how you feel! :bored:

Astrid

I'm willing to try!!!! I saw on the Dansko website a quilted looking pair!!! Now, that is made for me!!! I will go to a local store today and try some on. I did replace the running shoes and I want to give those a go today when I walk.

Check out Katy Says blog. Se has a lot of archived blog posts with exercises that have helped me 1000%. You sound like you're having the same issues I've dealt with for about 2 years. The foam roller is a god send, but a half-dome foam log is great to stretch with, too. On Katy Bowman's blog, she gives exercises that help a lot-calf stretch, squat technique, etc. it helps take the load off your back. Definitely DEFINITELY give her techniques a try. You can buy the videos, but the blog has so much to offer without buying.

Also, do you take magnesium? I would recommend Natural Calm and starting at 1/2 tsp. up to bowel tolerance slowly. It will wipe out those spasms. It's cheapest on amazon, fwiw. What about your other vitamins & minerals? D you supplement at all? Fr the meanwhile, you can throw Epsom Salts into a nightly hot bath. You will absorb some that way and it is inexpensive and relaxing to the muscles.

A rumble roller may be a good alternative to massage at the moment, and don't discount teaching your partner and kids how to massage! Netflix has some videos, but YouTube is great for it. I buy arnica oil from Mountain Rose Herbs for mine and massage my kids with almond or apricot oil. Some massage therapy schools offer discount massages on certain lab days, it might be worth a try!

Did you try Kinesiotape on your back? YouTube or a PT can show you proper technique, but it really helps when mine is bad. It stabilizes the muscles. A PT is preferred to show you how, but I didn't get a PT referral and my PA said mine looked right. It helped, either way!

Check out Katy Says blog. Se has a lot of archived blog posts with exercises that have helped me 1000%. You sound like you're having the same issues I've dealt with for about 2 years. The foam roller is a god send, but a half-dome foam log is great to stretch with, too. On Katy Bowman's blog, she gives exercises that help a lot-calf stretch, squat technique, etc. it helps take the load off your back. Definitely DEFINITELY give her techniques a try. You can buy the videos, but the blog has so much to offer without buying.

Also, do you take magnesium? I would recommend Natural Calm and starting at 1/2 tsp. up to bowel tolerance slowly. It will wipe out those spasms. It's cheapest on amazon, fwiw. What about your other vitamins & minerals? D you supplement at all? Fr the meanwhile, you can throw Epsom Salts into a nightly hot bath. You will absorb some that way and it is inexpensive and relaxing to the muscles.

A rumble roller may be a good alternative to massage at the moment, and don't discount teaching your partner and kids how to massage! Netflix has some videos, but YouTube is great for it. I buy arnica oil from Mountain Rose Herbs for mine and massage my kids with almond or apricot oil. Some massage therapy schools offer discount massages on certain lab days, it might be worth a try!

Did you try Kinesiotape on your back? YouTube or a PT can show you proper technique, but it really helps when mine is bad. It stabilizes the muscles. A PT is preferred to show you how, but I didn't get a PT referral and my PA said mine looked right. It helped, either way!

Yes, try Katy Bowman's techniques. I have improved so much from doing what she recommends. I've also done two of her web courses (you have to purchase them) and the pelvic floor course, especially, has been so incredibly valuable for my hip, SI, and low back issues.

It takes a long time to retrain your body when you've had bad alignment habits, though. I've been working on it since the end of January and I started to really feel normal in August or September.

I now exclusively wear barefoot-style shoes, too, for the benefit of my alignment. That has made a big difference, too.

Astrid

I bought Danskos today and love them!!! I slipped them on, stood up, and my back went "pop, pop, pop" as I stood up straight! I walked around the shop and my posture was so much better!! Dds and I went to the mall and nothing hurt as I walked around. These shoes are awesome!!! My back is not fixed, but I am not in the usual awful pain at the end of the day. Thanks so much!!!

I bought Danskos today and love them!!! I slipped them on, stood up, and my back went "pop, pop, pop" as I stood up straight! I walked around the shop and my posture was so much better!! Dds and I went to the mall and nothing hurt as I walked around. These shoes are awesome!!! My back is not fixed, but I am not in the usual awful pain at the end of the day. Thanks so much!!!

OMG I"m so happy!!! Yes, hard to explain, and it kind of sounds crazy, but don't they make a difference?! I love mine.... and I"m so happy that you've found some relief!

Hugs,

astrid

I have sciatica and a bad back in general. My PT told me when it's flaring up, to take 2 Tylenol and 2 Advil every 4 hours. They are two different types of meds, the Advil will help with the inflammation and the Tylenol will dull the pain. It works for me, and the longest I've had to do this regimen is 2-3 days.

Good luck- I hope you feel much better soon!

A little history: I've had problems with my back for years....about 18 if I remember correctly. It comes and goes, usually with no particular warning or anything I can think of that would cause it. Once, the pain in my lower back came on so severely and so suddenly, I wound up in the ER. But, CAT scan said it was soft tissue and I was sent on my way with a PT referral. Years ago, my family practitioner said he thought it was fibromyalgia because all the trigger points were "active", but the PT flatly said it couldn't be. Anyway, PT has always helped some and I've been given a list of exercises to do when I need them. I typically always have a "golf ball" in my right upper shoulder, right lower back and a few smaller knots on the left side. No one has ever been able to get rid of those spasms. I do have some sciatica and I've been told I have SI joint "issues" and "perhaps some periformis or IT band problems." 7 years ago, I had plantar fasciatis. But, I had not had any problems or flare ups in almost 2 years. And I don't know why. I moved an entire household cross country a year ago and the back was fine. I played tennis last spring with no problems. I did attempt a running program again, but that did not go so well (stamina, shin splints mainly) but the back was fine.

Fast forward to 2 months ago. I turned my head and my neck spasmed. Later in the week, I was bending over picking up laundry and felt the familiar "twang" in my lower back. Now, the entire back, hips, and legs are tight and have spasms. It wakes me up at night. I can feel knots in my quads and my hamstrings are tight. Range of motion is reduced, strength is reduced and it just plain hurts. I usually walk 2-3 miles/day 7 days a week and I can't do that at the moment. I replaced my running/walking shoes today and bought new insoles. I started the exercises the PT recommended for just such problems and all the flexibility/stretching positions. I started glucosamine again.

I use this: http://www.amazon.co...rds=foam roller and this: http://www.amazon.co...d_sim_sg_15.��I sit on balance balls and roll over them to stretch. I use this: http://www.amazon.co...=gypsy sit upon as well.

What am I missing? I know weekly massages would help, but our budget will just not allow that at the moment. Our insurance does not cover chiro either. I thought about going to my doc and asking for a PT referral. But I'm afraid he will want to run a bunch of tests that I really can't afford right now and will just tell me what they've been telling me for almost 20 years, soft tissue, sciatica, etc. Anyone know of anything else that might help?

You need a good chiropractor, not one of these guys that just starts cracking your neck and back (old school).

Mine completely solved neck pain by one bump on the jaw with a rubber mallet (after X rays). Cost me a few hundred for several appointments. I paid out of pocket and was glad I did.