Menu

Favorite family dog breeds

So we're got our eye on a small acreage in the country and are hoping to make the move out of the city sometime soon. It'll be a new adventure and I'm really looking forward to more of a homestead experience. That being said, I don't have much experience with different breeds of dogs. What do you recommend for small farm type homes-- livestock friendly dogs but also protective of my family. I like the thought of having one for the added sense of security. Also, is such a dog possible with short hair? I do so hate that dog smell that homes with long haired dogs often acquire We'll probably make an area for him/her on the land somewhere but I'm sure inevitably it will end up in our house. Thoughts....

BOXER! They are super sweet, easy to train (a little stubborn, but smart), very laid back but fun to play with, super protective. Our cat rules our dog even though he could eat her in a heartbeat if he chose. He never chases animals at my parent's house even though he isn't a farm dog himself. We just tell him no and he listens.

I don't know that we'll ever have a different breed. I love my boxer.

Remember that with protective instincts comes a greater responsibility for training. IMO a dog with protective instincts who isn't very well trained is a disaster waiting to happen

I've not found that long haired dogs smell any more strongly than shorter haired dogs. In general it's hounds, almost all of whom are short-haired, that are known for having the strongest odor.

Now, having said all that, the first breed that popped in my mind when reading your post was -- Australian Cattle Dog.

My favorite breeds are:

goldens

labs

german shepards. (i've had two of them, and they were great.)

do get good information on socializing since dogs are pack animals and you need to be the alpha.

says the woman who is TO'd that where we went for thanksgiving yesterday - the dog (german pointer or something) was nice enough, but only obeyed if she felt like it and chewed up my son's shoe after repeatedly dancing out of reach with it outside. by the end of the eveing, the dog obeyed me (and I think it surprised her to have a human be an alpha to her and expect her to obey). :rant:

German shepherds are great dogs, but are really tough for first-time dog-owners. Our German shepherd puppy is my avatar (almost 4mo at the time the picture was taken). She is definitely more of a challenge than our golden retriever or our terrier mix or our labrador/newfoundland mix or our corgi mix or our sheltie/spaniel mix or any of our random mutts. She's a great puppy though and is very smart. She keeps us all on our toes because she requires a lot more from us than any of our other dogs ever did.

A Newfie mix would probably be a good choice for you. My youngest was able to boss our 125 pound Newfie mix around even when she was only 3yo.

We have a rescued Australian Shepherd mix. She came to us at about 3 years old and was never in the house before and once she came in has never messed in the house.....so no puppy house training.

She is a great farm dog and is excellent with the horses, cats, chickens, etc. She loves to be outside with me but also enjoys her spot in the living room and my bedroom floor at night. She hardly ever barks---honestly like once a month maybe. If she barks we all know something is very wrong. This is great in may ways but she does not let us know when people come to the house. Then again with Thanksgiving yesterday she just laid down next to my chair, never bothered any of the guests or beggged for food.

That said, I think that if someone was threatening, she WOULD protect us. The few times she has barked and gotten upset were when there were people that were "questionable" walking down the road, etc.

For first time owners, a dog that is past the puppy stage might be better---although everything depends on the dog.

We have a rescued Australian Shepherd mix. She came to us at about 3 years old and was never in the house before and once she came in has never messed in the house.....so no puppy house training.

She is a great farm dog and is excellent with the horses, cats, chickens, etc. She loves to be outside with me but also enjoys her spot in the living room and my bedroom floor at night. She hardly ever barks---honestly like once a month maybe. If she barks we all know something is very wrong. This is great in may ways but she does not let us know when people come to the house. Then again with Thanksgiving yesterday she just laid down next to my chair, never bothered any of the guests or beggged for food.

That said, I think that if someone was threatening, she WOULD protect us. The few times she has barked and gotten upset were when there were people that were "questionable" walking down the road, etc.

For first time owners, a dog that is past the puppy stage might be better---although everything depends on the dog.

German Shepherd, Great Pyrenees, Saint Bernard, Bernese Mountain Dog, Boxer, Bullmastiff, Great Dane, Akita.

All large/very large dogs, and therefore need proper training.. but I'm sure you would plan on that anyway. :)

Pyrs will roam, though - or at least, most have a tendency to roam - so you need a fence. We have a "pet" pyr, by which I mean that she's not an LGD (livestock guardian dog), though she's gentle *and* protective and I love her to bits. OTOH, she sheds profusely and that breed really requires consistent brushing or their double coat will matt.

I've not had all of the other breeds mentioned here, but it sounds like it might be in your best interest to find a good rescue and "watch" for an adult dog which will meet your needs. That way, it's not just based on breed, but also on known temperament. (I can recommend a fantastic rescue in Kern County, CA, but making that suggestion is a rather like suggesting a little needle in a great big haystack of a country, lol.)

Besides our pyr, we have a lab/husky mix who is sweet but likes to chase small creatures (she does well with our cats, but would gladly chase our chickens if she could have gotten close to 'em) and a Golden Retriever. I can't say one bad thing about that breed - now I know why they're so popular! He's the BEST dog I've ever had - came to our home and made fast buddies with our cats, is excited to meet anyone and everyone, will happily play ball all day, did very well with our chickens, and even barks ferociously when anyone approaches our fence (this is a good thing, generally - we aren't in a subdivision so I pay attention when people come near).

A few considerations:

Are you going to use and electric fence or a physical one? Or were you planning on not fencing? Some dogs (sight hounds, for example) are very hard to train on an electric fence or off leash. My sister swears you simply can't have a grey hound off leash. And honestly, I would love a grey hound. I like everything about them except this one thing, but it's a big thing for me. I find that my herding breeds have been a breeze on the electric fence. They are more "biddable" breeds - owner focused. In fact, my Border Collie lived in houses with no fencing at all. She never wandered far from us. I didn't really need a fence because she was such a good girl:) I thinks some breeds want to be with the "pack" and others want to go after the squirrel more.

I don't think "dog smell" is so much about hair length. My Belgian shepherd never has a dog smell (though his breath can be foul if he's found raccoon poop). Hound dogs have the reputation of being smelly. Also, dogs that love water often have an odor because of that. We live near a lake and some dogs can't stay out of it. My dog won't go in it. I think it's better that way. In this neighborhood, I wouldn't have a retriever. They always smell terrible.

One final note, I have several neighbors with poodle mixes - golden doodles, labradoodles, etc. They all are great dogs, and I would have one. But that curly poodle hair is so much harder to clean that the silky fur of a shepherd. I just wipe my dogs feet at the door and he is good to go. The curly poodle hair seems to hold it. That wouldn't be a problem so much with a dog in the city, but on a farm, I would imagine it could be a massive pain.

Pyrs will roam, though - or at least, most have a tendency to roam - so you need a fence. .

pyrs are also good on a farm because they will protect livestock. my sil lived in an area where they'd stick pyrs in with sheep. mostly, they just hung out with the sheep. it was strange to see big white fluffy dogs roaming and the sheep ignored them. however, if the sheep were threatened, the pyrs would hunt down the coyotees and kill them.

Yep - a friend of mine called pyrs "coyote dogs" because they protected the livestock from all predators, including coyotes. :) On the flip side, they are such gentle creatures - mine has always been so tolerant and sweet with everyone, especially my kids. Of course, they're not as easily trainable - they're smart, but mostly solitary. If I were to tell my Golden to "come!" or "stay", he'd do it to please me, but my pyr? She'd likely look at me as if to suggest that I'd really need to offer her a more compelling reason for her to move from her shady spot beside the tree.

If you've got LOTS of acreage, or if you are rural enough that a pyr can safely roam, of if you are fortunate enough to have a non-roaming pyr, then a fence might be optional. However, we live close enough to dangerous roads that my pyrs had/have to be contained or they'd go on walkabout to who knows where!

My former neighbors called me recently to tell me that that since we moved, they see more deer and coyotes than they ever did before. They moved to their house about a year after we did, so it seems completely logical to me that now that my pyrs are gone, the wildlife comes around more frequently. I was also told that we'd see lots of coyotes behind our current home, but although we hear them, I've not yet seen one. I'm sure it's a combination of our perimeter fence and my pyr who monitors these things closely. :D

German Shepherd, Great Pyrenees, Saint Bernard, Bernese Mountain Dog, Boxer, Bullmastiff, Great Dane, Akita.

All large/very large dogs, and therefore need proper training.. but I'm sure you would plan on that anyway. :)

We have had two Bernese mountain dogs. They love the outdoors, unless its hot, but they absolutely have to live inside with you. They are very loyal to their owner and would be sad to be apart from you for too long.

If you do not want a dog smell, then you need to stick with northern breeds. Unfortunately, most of these breeds shed a lot. I don't know of a breed that does not have a dog smell and does not shed.

We have enjoyed our klee kai. The breed stays puppy-like for years and years so be prepared to be entertained. Ours is almost 4 and walks around with a ball in her mouth all the time hoping someone will play. Her picture is my avatar. They rarely bark, but will howl if a stranger approaches. They are friendly to other animals if socialized as puppies. Finally, this breed is a quick learner.

English Shepherds are perfect for everything that you want except that they have long hair. Long-haired dogs don't have to smell though!

English Shepherds are the descendants of the old farm collies that were known so well for their intelligence. They are good with animals and can herd but are more laid back than most herding breeds (not as hyper).

You guys are the greatest. I am getting so much helpful information here. And I apologize for suggesting that long-haired dogs were somehow smellier than others. That must be my ignorance kicking in. I never had a dog and had somehow made that assumption after visiting friends' homes with dogs. The majority were long haired so I just made the conclusion that it had something to do with it. In all honesty, it is probably more about how often my friends are cleaning their home and pet.

The land we are looking at is a small/modest acreage- just under 10 acres. It is currently fenced on three sides but the back leads to wetlands area that is currently not fenced. I would definitely want something if we end up getting this plot because there are wild pig out there. Pretty common in country areas of Florida. Also, there are two ponds on the property where I counted 5 gators swimming during my last visit. For those of you not living in Florida that may sound odd, but I have yet live in Florida on a house with a pond that didn't have at least one in it. Subdivisions and all. That being said, I am currently doing my research to see when/how the county will come and take them out. Seems size plays a big part of it. There are cattle on the property but in a greater number than we would ever want. We would eventually like a horse or two, maybe some goats, chickens and a cow or so. So we will have to cross-fence the property.

I honestly haven't given any thought to an electric fence but imagine if needed we could attach it to the current wood farm fence we have. I imagine a dog could very easily get through the wide slates of the wood.

I never had a dog and had somehow made that assumption after visiting friends' homes with dogs. The majority were long haired so I just made the conclusion that it had something to do with it. In all honesty, it is probably more about how often my friends are cleaning their home and pet.

And the quality of the dog's diet can play a huge role in odor. Cheap food often equates to a smelly dog. Some dogs seem more susceptible to diet-related stink than others.

Does your DH have any dog experience? Some of the breeds suggested here are generally not recommended for first-time dog owners. Probably including the ACD that I myself suggested! That's not to say you couldn't handle them, because I think you're doing your homework and will be well prepared. It's just that dogs that aren't recommended for first-time dog owners tend to be a bit more challenging to train, or have the protective instincts that require more training than breeds who tend to instinctively view everyone as a long-lost friend.

German Shepherds. They're wonderful family dogs, protective, and they were bred for herding. They do shed like crazy though, so you'll want to make brushing part of your routine. Also, I've found in my experience that male dogs tend to stink more than female dogs, so you may want to weigh that into your decision-making process if you don't like that doggy smell.

A few considerations:

Are you going to use and electric fence or a physical one? Or were you planning on not fencing? Some dogs (sight hounds, for example) are very hard to train on an electric fence or off leash. My sister swears you simply can't have a grey hound off leash. And honestly, I would love a grey hound.

DON'T do it! We have a greyhound mix, and even as a mixed breed he's neurotic. He entertains us because his brand of crazy isn't destructive, but he's more like a glorified cat than a dog. He sleeps a million hours a day, he's not motivated by food, he'll NEVER heel properly, he uses the pitiful timid look to get attention from girls, and he has mor phobias than Monk. Great as an alarm dog as long as nobody sees him hiding behind you while barking ferociously. Don't do if!

Herding dogs are all tough to own and train (imo) except collies. I've have collies, border collies, Australian Sheps, and ACDs. I've told my kids I'll never have the last three again ever. However, my rough coated collie was the most wonderful dog. Can't say enough good things. BUT he was with me all the time, had extensive training and was treated like a child, not a pet.

pyrs are also good on a farm because they will protect livestock. my sil lived in an area where they'd stick pyrs in with sheep. mostly, they just hung out with the sheep. it was strange to see big white fluffy dogs roaming and the sheep ignored them. however, if the sheep were threatened, the pyrs would hunt down the coyotees and kill them.

yup. I have one and she's the coolest dog ever. She really wants to please us so she was pretty easy to train. We got her as a pup which is the best way to get a Pyr. If they are moved as adults they really struggle with roaming. Our dog has over 100 acres of empty land to explore and I think it is best that way. If your chosen neighborhood will be bothered by a dog "visiting" you may not want a Pyr.

Yep - a friend of mine called pyrs "coyote dogs" because they protected the livestock from all predators, including coyotes. :) On the flip side, they are such gentle creatures - mine has always been so tolerant and sweet with everyone, especially my kids. Of course, they're not as easily trainable - they're smart, but mostly solitary. If I were to tell my Golden to "come!" or "stay", he'd do it to please me, but my pyr? She'd likely look at me as if to suggest that I'd really need to offer her a more compelling reason for her to move from her shady spot beside the tree.

If you've got LOTS of acreage, or if you are rural enough that a pyr can safely roam, of if you are fortunate enough to have a non-roaming pyr, then a fence might be optional. However, we live close enough to dangerous roads that my pyrs had/have to be contained or they'd go on walkabout to who knows where!

My former neighbors called me recently to tell me that that since we moved, they see more deer and coyotes than they ever did before. They moved to their house about a year after we did, so it seems completely logical to me that now that my pyrs are gone, the wildlife comes around more frequently. I was also told that we'd see lots of coyotes behind our current home, but although we hear them, I've not yet seen one. I'm sure it's a combination of our perimeter fence and my pyr who monitors these things closely. :D

Our dog is SO smart and just very naturally livestock savvy. However, she's not an indoor dog at all, and she's happy that way. No doggy stink here and her long coat doesn't really get all that messy. We don't really have to do anything to it at all.

100_2441.jpg

And the quality of the dog's diet can play a huge role in odor. Cheap food often equates to a smelly dog. Some dogs seem more susceptible to diet-related stink than others. Does your DH have any dog experience? Some of the breeds suggested here are generally not recommended for first-time dog owners. Probably including the ACD that I myself suggested! That's not to say you couldn't handle them, because I think you're doing your homework and will be well prepared. It's just that dogs that aren't recommended for first-time dog owners tend to be a bit more challenging to train, or have the protective instincts that require more training than breeds who tend to instinctively view everyone as a long-lost friend.

Wow- the diet, huh? That makes sense. I have so much to learn about dogs. Anyone have any beginner books they suggest? How about that Dog Whisperer dude? Is he worth watching? For a first-time owner like me?

My DH has had dogs before. I don't know how involved he was with them in the training and all. Looks like we will have a lot to talk about here soon. My biggest concern is that he works quite a bit so I know I the majority of the dog responsibilities will fall on me. Honestly- I have never been a huge fan of dogs. Maybe I shouldn't say it that way, but I was just never raised with one and just assumed I would never have one. DH has been harking for one for awhile now. The move out to the country finally swayed me. I can see how it would give me an added bit of security. At first it was rather grudgingly but now the thought of a family pet is started to get me excited. Having no experience I suppose our best bet would be an easy to train dog or possibly paying for its training.

So much to learn! WHEW! It's a bit like becoming a parent anew.

yup. I have one and she's the coolest dog ever. She really wants to please us so she was pretty easy to train. We got her as a pup which is the best way to get a Pyr. If they are moved as adults they really struggle with roaming. Our dog has over 100 acres of empty land to explore and I think it is best that way. If your chosen neighborhood will be bothered by a dog "visiting" you may not want a Pyr. Our dog is SO smart and just very naturally livestock savvy. However, she's not an indoor dog at all, and she's happy that way. No doggy stink here and her long coat doesn't really get all that messy. We don't really have to do anything to it at all.

What a beautiful dog!

BOXER!

I am not a dog person and have always been afraid of them after seeing my friend lose an ear to a Doberman in 1st grade.

But our Boxer was the sweetest, most loving, gentle do ever. I adored him.

I was researching boxer after it was recommended here a few times. However I saw that it said it doesn't do too well in heat and humidity. Living in Florida that is about 3/4 of our year. However, I do know some families around that have boxers so it can't be that bad for them. I'll have to keep researching it. Also, the only thing that was slightly deterring me was their shorter than average lifespan and propensity to cancers and such. But everything else I read about them sounded exactly like what we were looking for. I kind of like the thought of a big, solid dog. The temperament and characteristics seemed like a perfect fit for our family. The short hair appealed to me too.

DON'T do it! We have a greyhound mix, and even as a mixed breed he's neurotic. He entertains us because his brand of crazy isn't destructive, but he's more like a glorified cat than a dog. He sleeps a million hours a day, he's not motivated by food, he'll NEVER heel properly, he uses the pitiful timid look to get attention from girls, and he has mor phobias than Monk. Great as an alarm dog as long as nobody sees him hiding behind you while barking ferociously. Don't do if!

Awww. They LOOK so sweet. One time I stopped at Panera and the local Greyhound rescue people were all having coffee on the outside patio with their dogs. There were probably 10 grey hounds. They all were lying around very calmly, looking serene and not particularly interested in people coming and going. I can tell you, a convention of ten Belgians would not look like that. It made me very curious and I talked to the owners about the dogs for a long time and went home vaguely thinking I would love one. But the "must be on leash" thing is a deal breaker. I have never had a dog that wasn't easy to train to "come" on command.

I didn't realize you were in Florida. In that case, a Bordeaux, not a good idea.

Although the breed has been used as LSG, short haired, everything you're looking for, a short faced dog is not recommended for a hot climate. They just don't do well in extreme heat.

They used to hunt bears, so they will take on a predator...but the short face makes it a no go for your location, imo.

You guys are the greatest. I am getting so much helpful information here. And I apologize for suggesting that long-haired dogs were somehow smellier than others. That must be my ignorance kicking in. I never had a dog and had somehow made that assumption after visiting friends' homes with dogs. The majority were long haired so I just made the conclusion that it had something to do with it. In all honesty, it is probably more about how often my friends are cleaning their home and pet.

The land we are looking at is a small/modest acreage- just under 10 acres. It is currently fenced on three sides but the back leads to wetlands area that is currently not fenced. I would definitely want something if we end up getting this plot because there are wild pig out there. Pretty common in country areas of Florida. Also, there are two ponds on the property where I counted 5 gators swimming during my last visit. For those of you not living in Florida that may sound odd, but I have yet live in Florida on a house with a pond that didn't have at least one in it. Subdivisions and all. That being said, I am currently doing my research to see when/how the county will come and take them out. Seems size plays a big part of it. There are cattle on the property but in a greater number than we would ever want. We would eventually like a horse or two, maybe some goats, chickens and a cow or so. So we will have to cross-fence the property.

I honestly haven't given any thought to an electric fence but imagine if needed we could attach it to the current wood farm fence we have. I imagine a dog could very easily get through the wide slates of the wood.

Given the gators I would not get a water happy dog such as a lab. Nor would I get anything under large sized which eliminate a few that have been mentioned.

I'd recommend adopting one. We got in touch with a german short haired pointer rescue and they matched us with a PERFECT dog for our family. While we both grew up with dogs (rescues and puppies) it was our first dog that we got as the owners. I liked knowing the personalty of the dog before we committed. Just my 2 cents- good luck!

Anyone have any beginner books they suggest? How about that Dog Whisperer dude? Is he worth watching? For a first-time owner like me?

As far as the Dog Whisperer/Cesar Milan -- NO! Emphatically, no. I know LOTS of trainers. The only reason they "like" Cesar Milan/The Dog Whisperer is because people who try his training methods on their dogs and find that they don't work bring them a lot of business. You will hear lots of people, even on here, spouting off alpha dog mumbo jumbo crap. I cannot begin to tell how how horribly misunderstood the whole theory is. My best advice is truly to just avoid it totally. If you're not convinced, I can provide links to very reputable organizations (American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior, etc.) explaining how flawed his methods are.

As far as books -- http://www.amazon.co...ricia mcconnell

Or any other book by Patricia McConnell. Unlike Cesar Milan, she's someone who actually understands dogs and knows what she's talking about.

Having no experience I suppose our best bet would be an easy to train dog or possibly paying for its training.

Training classes, or if you can afford it a few sessions with a private trainer, are hugely valuable for all dogs. But the training is really more about training the human to train the dog, so it's something you (and whole family, really) need to be involved in.

If you have gators on the property, you'd probably want to reconsider any of the breeds that like the water. Our English shepherd loves it. I have never had to cope with gators, so maybe some other Floridians will pipe up more about which breeds are best.

It's been my experience that dogs only smell when they're not bathed regularly. We'd smell, too, if we never washed! :)

Please do allow your dog in the house. He will be more protective of your family, better bonded to you, cleaner, easier to train, and, of course, happier! A dog that is always with the livestock may bond more with them than with you. If you were getting a dog like a Great Pyr purely for livestock protection, that might be a good thing, but a family dog really should be with the family.

I second the recommendation for books by Patricia McConnell.

If you're open to getting a dog from a shelter or rescue, I recommend petfinder.com. You can search for dogs near your location by size, breed, age, sex, etc. There are plenty of purebred dogs and nice mixes available, and "foster parents" who have had the dogs in their home can tell you a lot about their temperament and skills.

Good luck!

I second the comment that dogs just need to be bathed regularly. I have a Brittany Spaniel and she can really smell....ugh, but with a once a week bath she is tolerable. I never wanted an inside dog but after a year of her digging out and digging up the yard I gave up and listened to the experts who told me she needs to be with her people. She is inside now and we often get comments on how well behaved she is, even from non dog lovers. She runs off though if she gets the chance....the only thing I don't like about her.

I crate trained her and that has been a sanity saver. And she travels well....goes back and forth with my ds12 when he goes to his dads. Very high energy though as a pup....wow she ran me ragged.

I love Boxers. Had a mix in the AR heat and he did fine.

As far as the Dog Whisperer/Cesar Milan -- NO! Emphatically, no. I know LOTS of trainers. The only reason they "like" Cesar Milan/The Dog Whisperer is because people who try his training methods on their dogs and find that they don't work bring them a lot of business. You will hear lots of people, even on here, spouting off alpha dog mumbo jumbo crap. I cannot begin to tell how how horribly misunderstood the whole theory is. My best advice is truly to just avoid it totally. If you're not convinced, I can provide links to very reputable organizations (American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior, etc.) explaining how flawed his methods are.

Or any other book by Patricia McConnell. Unlike Cesar Milan, she's someone who actually understands dogs and knows what she's talking about.

Training classes, or if you can afford it a few sessions with a private trainer, are hugely valuable for all dogs. But the training is really more about training the human to train the dog, so it's something you (and whole family, really) need to be involved in.

I'd love to see you links if it's something you have around. I know my husband has watched a few of his shows so I would like to supply him with some information on the flip side.

It's been my experience that dogs only smell when they're not bathed regularly. We'd smell, too, if we never washed! :)

Please do allow your dog in the house. He will be more protective of your family, better bonded to you, cleaner, easier to train, and, of course, happier! A dog that is always with the livestock may bond more with them than with you. If you were getting a dog like a Great Pyr purely for livestock protection, that might be a good thing, but a family dog really should be with the family.

I second the recommendation for books by Patricia McConnell.

If you're open to getting a dog from a shelter or rescue, I recommend petfinder.com. You can search for dogs near your location by size, breed, age, sex, etc. There are plenty of purebred dogs and nice mixes available, and "foster parents" who have had the dogs in their home can tell you a lot about their temperament and skills.

Good luck!

Very true about the bathing thing. ;) I'll be sure to check out Petfinder. Thanks!

I second the comment that dogs just need to be bathed regularly. I have a Brittany Spaniel and she can really smell....ugh, but with a once a week bath she is tolerable. I never wanted an inside dog but after a year of her digging out and digging up the yard I gave up and listened to the experts who told me she needs to be with her people. She is inside now and we often get comments on how well behaved she is, even from non dog lovers. She runs off though if she gets the chance....the only thing I don't like about her.

I crate trained her and that has been a sanity saver. And she travels well....goes back and forth with my ds12 when he goes to his dads. Very high energy though as a pup....wow she ran me ragged.

I love Boxers. Had a mix in the AR heat and he did fine.

Thanks for your info. Good to know a boxer did fine in AR.

I've known boxers in Louisiana as well. I grew up with one around the corner from me. I saw one just the other day.

I have only small dogs, I can't stand large ones, they're just too big...

if I did tho I'd have a Lab. We had a stray puppy come up and it was a really good little dog. We found a good home for it. Around here any large dog is going to go into the water, because of the heat. My little dogs don't go near it, but the big dogs seem to need to get wet.

I would also advise whatever dog you get to make sure you put it on heartworm prevention immeditely and NEVER miss a dose. Also, be SURE and bring it in at night. My dog got heartworm disease because I missed two doses, she slept out at night, and my neighbors dogs were infected and never were treated. Thankfully we caught it super early and her treatment has not been costly and she has not gotten ill. Now she spends every night inside, I just sweep and mop my laundry room a lot! Can't stand dog odor of any kind...

A smaller dog might be a Corgi. They're herding dogs, too, but more an inside dog size.

A Shetland Sheepdog is also a smaller herding dog. They do shed though. A lot. All. Year. Long.

If you're not an experienced dog owner, I would not suggest a Border Collie. They are too high energy and MUST have a job. They'll get destructive if they don't have work.

This is true of most working breeds. You can't just expect them to entertain themselves. They need mental and physical stimulation. They are intelligent dogs, and must have a "job".

Herding dogs are all tough to own and train (imo) except collies.

Our Sheltie practically trained himself. He was so easy to train. One thing to remember about herding dogs is that if you have children, they will try to herd them. This is not a problem if the kids are older, but they can often nip a toddler or preschooler without meaning to hurt them.

Given the gators I would not get a water happy dog such as a lab.

We were fortunate when we had outdoor dogs and a pond, that they were never attacked. We had a gator once, which we were able to get rid of, but we often had water moccasins in the pond.

As far as the Dog Whisperer/Cesar Milan -- NO! Emphatically, no.

A thousand times NO!

I'd love to see you links if it's something you have around. I know my husband has watched a few of his shows so I would like to supply him with some information on the flip side.

Here are a few. Many more can be found online. Do a search for Cesar Milan critics or Dog Whisperer critics.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2007250,00.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090521112711.htm

http://avsabonline.org/uploads/position_statements/dominance_statement.pdf

Here's the position statement from the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior:

http://avsabonline.org/uploads/position_statements/dominance_statement.pdf

It doesn't reference Cesar Milan specifically, although that's exactly what prompted the position paper. Here's an article stating that, and going into some more detail about the misconceptions of dominance theory:

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=12230

A position statement from the Association of Pet Dog Trainers:

http://www.apdt.com/about/ps/dominance.aspx

Patricia McConnell:

http://4pawsu.com/pmdominance.htm

The Whole Dog Journal (lots of great links, including a couple I've already posted above):

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_12/features/Alpha_20415-1.html

We loved our Border Collie. He was the white speckled kind, not the kind on Babe. So, he did get hair everywhere, but you can always trim the hair off a few times a year. He was funny and quirky. Border Collies don't usually nip like a cattle dog might. But, they do herd constantly. Like when you walk around the do half circles around you and always want to be on the side or the back. But, they can learn lots of stuff. They are super social so they can be funny in crowds. He was an amazing swimmer. He really loved kids, too.

We have 12 acres and have always had German Shepherds. We have had both rescues and puppies from breeders. All have been GREAT dogs.

Our rescues were girls-- they did have a strong odor when they were older. Both were super sweet and came to us potty trained, excellent with kids, great manners/training (they were trained while at the rescue center). Our rescue's had/have social anxiety disorders though-- can not be left alone outside in fenced yard (even with another dog) without their 'people'...since we are home 99% of the time it was/is a non-issue.

Our breeder pups have been AWESOME... great 'floor rugs' that are protective and quite loving/loyal. Our current 'puppy' has been a handful to train-- still not too bad though. He is going to be a great dog! We hired a trainer with the first 2 dogs (trainers train PEOPLE how to train their dogs) and I have trained the others by myself.

We currently have a rescue (white shepherd/lab mix female) and a white GS puppy from breeder-- not much of a puppy-- he is 120 pounds at 10 months! (our last white GS male was only 100 pounds full grown-- our puppy is a GIANT!).

We like 'classic' German Shepherds-- large boned, straight backs--calmer with fewer back/hip problems.

I've attached a picture of our 'puppy' taken on Thanksgiving. His name is WSK's Charles Tucker the Third aka "Trip".

Although lovely dogs, Australian cattle dogs, any kind of working shepherd (such as Australian shepherd), and German pointers usually have a lot of energy and unless you're a heavy exerciser (and plan to take them with), have a lot of land, or work with livestock they can be flighty around the house and get into trouble when bored.

I love German shepherds, but they are strong and smart and if you don't have a lot of experience with dogs I wouldn't recommend them as a first dog. They are great with families though. They live and breathe family.

Most commonly chosen family dogs, labs and retrievers, are usually chosen for a reason. They are friendly and docile, love people, and need a moderate amount of exercise.

I haven't seen it mentioned but we have a springer spaniel (probably a bit more field spaniel) and they are medium sized, smart, protective, and very attached to their families. The only downside is that they take a year or two longer to mature and be settled. For smaller dogs, my friend has a Havanese; very quiet (not barky) and gentle, not overly active, great with her girls, but it has a long coat which needs care.

Yes! So spot on here. I am currently reading "The Other End of the Leash" by McConnell and I am going to have my husband and girls read it, it is just so good and addresses things most books don't even think about!

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2007250,00.html

This link is to an article about the alpha dog myth. Please don't practice C. Milan's tactics with your dog.

Also, I recommend you don't get any breed that regularly gets over 100 lbs b/c they have average lifespans of under 10 years and often are not good choices for first-time dog owners.

We have a Great Pyrenees, well actually 7 GPs at the moment until the puppies are sold. We haven't had a moments trouble with her wandering. I've heard that most Great Pyrenees won't wander if they know the boundaries of their property. So, if you walk with them around the perimeter a few times, they'll learn what's their responsibility to protect. We have free range chickens, guineas, and geese, and she doesn't bother them at all except for when she's just had puppies and they come too close. In fact, she has a relationship with the guineas and knows their different calls. When they sound the alarm, she comes running.

She enjoys attention and is right in the middle of things if we are petting the puppies or standing still. She stays up by the house for the most part but is always alert for danger anywhere in the area. I'm very, very happy with her as a farm dog.

FWIW, we have a pond right behind the house and none of the dogs have ever gone in it. The GPs have a double coat that actually insulates them from the heat in the summer. It's really bad to trim a GP, as it inhibits their natural cooling ability. I usually comb her fur out in the spring when she's shedding. It lasts about a week, and then she's done. It's a lot of fur in that one week though!