Menu

Recommend a fountain pen -- for me!

Like many of us, I suppose, I write a lot. So, I've become rather particular about pens. My current favorite is the Pilot G-2 gel pen, with a fine point. It writes smoothly, dries quickly, doesn't smudge, BUT... the ink runs out so fast! I rarely get one week's worth out of one. I feel like I'm always throwing them out, buying new ones. They sell refills, but they are barely cheaper than a new pen. And the refills are only one or two to a package. If they sold a big box of a dozen refills, I'd feel better about that.

So... many folks have recommended fountain pens, and Santa says that if I'm good, a nice fountain pen might be under the tree for me this year, but I'd have to pick it out. The only stores here are ones that sell pens as high end accessories, not as everyday utensils.

Any recommendations? Favorites? What should I look for? I love the idea of just buying a big thing of ink and refilling a pen over and over, instead of buying more disposable plastic. Or am I just crazy, and should keep buying plastic pens.

I have a Waterman Phileas which I really love. The link shows up a lot more costly than my pen was, I think because it looks to have some extra stuff with it. Dh puts purple ink in it for me and I really enjoy writing letters with it. I use a medium nib.

DH says that around this time of year, you can get Waterman or Cross fountain pens at Staple, and ink as well. Noodler's ink has some nice colors. Cross will adapt to your hand, but the Waterman pens can be loaned. :) I got him a cross pen the year before we married and he still uses it.

You don't have to spend a boatload of money to get a nice fountain pen. Parker makes one (which means the cartridges are inexpensive) which is very nice. Sometimes you can find them at Office Depot.

My sixth grade teacher required us to use fountain pens for *all* our assignments except math. I've been a fan ever since, and when I taught in a little one-room classroom, I required students fourth grade and up to use fountain pens, too. :-)

I have a little syringe like set-up that allows me to refill cartridges with whatever ink I prefer. Which is a great way to go if you are very frugal and/or are particular about what ink you want to use.

The Pilot Varisity, a non-refillable (unless you hack it) disposable fountain pen, won't solve the long term problem, but they are so cheap and high quality that I would definitely suggest trying one fist to see if you like fountain pens.

Bill

This is the pen I use.

http://www.jetpens.com/Lamy-Vista-Fountain-Pen-Extra-Fine-Nib-Clear-Body-Chrome-Clip/pd/1929

I have ended up buying three of them so I can keep one filled with black, one with red, and one with another color :)

I got some ofthe pilot petit minis for my son and then got a couple of pens for me. The Lamy has been my favorite.

Good luck finding one you like!