Menu

Ideas to entertain a 6 yr old confined to bed for 10 days?

Oh my gosh, that sounds HARD! How about having the older kids read aloud, have all the kids there, and take turns adding to a story (maybe record it?) A Rubik's Cube or other manipulative thingy that can be held in front of the face while lying down. The TV on the ceiling might be the way to go, but practically speaking, setting up a mirror so the kiddo can see would be easier :tongue_smilie:

I would totally have to strap my DS down if he had to stay prone in bed for ten days.

Bring Grandma for a visit? I'm just assuming he will need to have continuous supervision.

What does the doctor suggest logistically?

I've heard of adults having eye surgery & having to lie face down for several days (except potty breaks).

They are given a special face-resting cushion-thingy.

I can't imagine trying to get a kid (much less a BOY . . . much less a 6 yo BOY) to lie down.

Mine would go nuts in 10 minutes.

Sedatives. :tongue_smilie: All I could come up with were books on tape and radio shows (I've heard Focus on the Family did an excellent version of Narnia.) I'd be trying to find a way to hang an iPad from the ceiling or headboard. A DS or iPod (or similar) would also work.

Sedatives. :tongue_smilie: All I could come up with were books on tape and radio shows (I've heard Focus on the Family did an excellent version of Narnia.) I'd be trying to find a way to hang an iPad from the ceiling or headboard. A DS or iPod (or similar) would also work.

That's actually not a bad idea! Maybe he'll be on pain meds for the first few days, then he can stuff himself with turkey and milk and whatever else makes you tired...

Agreeing with all of the above ideas.

My DS had eye surgery at age six. He was only suppose to be 'down' for one day, then inactive for ten days.

He was zonked out on the couch a few hours after we got home so I ran to the bathroom quickly. Returned to find him standing on the back of the couch, which he then proceeded to jump off of. :tongue_smilie: No damage done, thankfully, but it was a really, really long ten days for us. I couldn't even take my eyes off him for a moment. He isn't normally impulsive, but is very active; it was miserable keeping him inactive.

Audiobooks or playaways from the library with headphones so he isn't so distracted by others or can listen to the book and not want to move so much, little figurine he can hold and make move and talk - maybe a Lego guy or a Star Wars figure for example, a new stuffie that is small in size to hold, finger puppets, a flashlight to point around, a bell to ring if he needs something instead of yelling, some cool rings to wear as he might just sit and stare at his hands... Good luck.

Yes!! Sedative for everyone. :tongue_smilie: