Menu

What are all the "likes" from posts made in 2008?

EKS

Yup. And then it became a tool of evil. Maybe this time it will be better because there's only "like."

But it is making feel a weird pressure to say womething witty so that people will like my post. I'm just not witty. I wonder if I can block myself from seeing likes. :) Or maybe I should "like" everything to dilute the value of "like".

Yup. And then it became a tool of evil. Maybe this time it will be better because there's only "like."

Rep followed you around all over the place with little doodads under your username. The "likes" just stay at this post on this thread, correct? Or, I guess you can see them maybe on your user control panel. But, anyway, for people like me who instantly forget who said what, I'll have no clue who has had a bunch of posts with "likes". I'm vaguely aware that I've gotten a couple myself because I saw the notification -- that was exciting because it gave me that dopamine squirt you get from getting an email or message or whatever -- but it doesn't really change the course of my life.

Hmm, maybe I'm able to be more upbeat about the entire thing because I apparently am losing my memory and existing simply in my happy place, assuming everything is a-okay.

There is one thing I really like about the "likes," earlier today a poster started a thread that seemed in very bad taste. Another poster came along and gently corrected her and instead of wanting to add my 2cents, copy with an agree smiley, or any other such thing I could simply "like" the corrective post. It seems a bit gentler than being totally dog piled! :D

But it is making feel a weird pressure to say womething witty so that people will like my post. I'm just not witty. I wonder if I can block myself from seeing likes. :) Or maybe I should "like" everything to dilute the value of "like".

I'm kind of viewing the like button as a lazy way to "agree" with a poster without taking the time to post myself. It lets someone know I read what they wrote and am in a same frame of mind or something like that...

I'm seeing it as a lurkers way to participate a little rather than a popularity contest - if that makes sense. I hope it sticks around and isn't see the same way the rep was way back when.

I'm kind of viewing the like button as a lazy way to "agree" with a poster without taking the time to post myself. It lets someone know I read what they wrote and am in a same frame of mind or something like that...

I'm seeing it as a lurkers way to participate a little rather than a popularity contest - if that makes sense. I hope it sticks around and isn't see the same way the rep was way back when.

I think this is what the like button is becoming. Much better than rep points.

If it becomes a problem...it will go away!

The Happy Moderator

You should have different moderator accounts and avatars... they Happy Moderator, The Grumpy Moderator, the I-can't-believe-they're-doing-this-again Face Palm Moderator.

:tongue_smilie:

If it becomes a problem...it will go away!

The Happy Moderator

Good to know. I'd figured out they were old ones when there was that whole problem with popularity contests, but if they're used wisely now (without all that other stuff attached to it), they could be helpful. I hadn't realized that they hadn't been erased, but so far, so good.

I, for one, am only witty sometimes and am not always going to have pithy, wise posts, either :).

I think this is what the like button is becoming. Much better than rep points.

So, I actually did like this and clicked it, but then decided to post anyway. I think that it can also be a good way to let someone know you like a post without taking up a lot of space writing (as I'm doing now.)

I tried this but ran into the ceiling on # of likes ... so I'm trying to like things that are helpful, and also those that have substance I disagree with (liking them for having substance & contributing toe the discussion generally) ...