Menu

A downside to homeschooling this Christmas season

This year I am wanting to do a more handcrafted Christmas for my contribution to the kids' Christmas (DH likes to shop for the kids as well). Unforunately with the kids here with me 24/7 it is hard to make stuff they don't see me working on. By the time they get in bed I can barely motivate myself to surf the web much less grab out my crafting stuff. How do you guys get crafty stuff made as presents? Do your kids just know what they are getting and watch you make it?

I start before December and I stay up late. I started about a week ago working on dresses for dd9 and dd3. Dd3 goes to bed at 8, and Dd9 goes to bed at 9 so I usually get about 2 hours of work done before I go to bed. The really annoying part for me is having to put the dresses in progress away each night...It would be so much easier if I could leave everything laid out. I've tried sneaking in some work while they are upstairs playing but it's too stressful. I feel like I'm a MI agent trying to set a bomb or something and if someone catches me I have to sacrifice myself and set for immediate self destruct.! :scared:

Some things have been seen, some they haven't seen. I have to work on things really late at night if I don't want the kids to see, so it comes down to a matter of importance. Which matters most: keeping it secret, or making that special something for them to enjoy? Our kids don't seem to mind if they know some of what they're getting. They still have the fun of waiting, and sometimes they forget so they are surprised all over again.

(Note: we work hard to ensure that their main presents are kept well hidden - they usually only see stocking stuffers or smaller gifts.)

My kids go to AWANA for an hour every Wednesday. Thankfully the Church isn't but 5 minutes from our home so I'm able to come home and sew for atleast 35 minutes at a time. I also get up earlier than the kids each morning giving me atleast an hour to sew. Right now sewing at night is out of the question as ds sleeps with dh & I and we all retire to bed at the same time each night, I can't imagine getting back up to sew!

I start Christmas sewing REALLY early in the year just because of the restrictions we have.

We have "elfing time" because my kids make their own gifts for each other and family. Signs instructing others to keep out are affixed to doors, crafts supplies are smuggled into rooms, and we all spend an hour or two a couple of times a week working on gifts. The boys usually retreat to their rooms to create, while I work in my office/school room with the door closed. We know we are working on presents, but we don't know what we are making. If a child knocks on my door, I step out of the room to talk with them (although they do try to peek around me for the 2.5 seconds the door is open!)

I spend a bit of time early in the morning or on the weekends when DH is home. I stay away from large projects, so that helps too...I like to finish each project within an hour or two.

My DC participate in Sunday school, and they usually have a last minute practice on the weekend before...great time to work on gifts!

This year I am wanting to do a more handcrafted Christmas for my contribution to the kids' Christmas (DH likes to shop for the kids as well). Unforunately with the kids here with me 24/7 it is hard to make stuff they don't see me working on. By the time they get in bed I can barely motivate myself to surf the web much less grab out my crafting stuff. How do you guys get crafty stuff made as presents? Do your kids just know what they are getting and watch you make it?

If I'm making them something, they usually know about it. I used to try to keep it a surprise, but ran into the same problems you're having -- there's little free time when they're not around and I'm not wiped out. I made them rag quilts this year. They picked out which pattern they wanted and gave me an idea of colors. They saw some of the fabric in the house while I was cutting it out, but I was able to sew them together while the kids were gone with their grandparents for a week this summer. They know they're getting them, but haven't seen the final product.

DD asked me a couple weeks ago if I would make Disney princess dresses for her American Girl dolls. At first I wasn't going to do it due to time constraints, but really, how long is she going to ask me to make her American Girl clothes? I bought the pattern and fabric while she was in dance class last weekend and told her that I'm making her the dresses, but they may not be ready in time for Christmas. I took this week off from school and want to work on them. There's no way I could do that without telling her. She can't see them finished and on the dolls until she gets them.

We have "elfing time" because my kids make their own gifts for each other and family. Signs instructing others to keep out are affixed to doors, crafts supplies are smuggled into rooms, and we all spend an hour or two a couple of times a week working on gifts. The boys usually retreat to their rooms to create, while I work in my office/school room with the door closed. We know we are working on presents, but we don't know what we are making. If a child knocks on my door, I step out of the room to talk with them (although they do try to peek around me for the 2.5 seconds the door is open!)

What a good idea!

:001_wub:

We have a quiet time everyday with everyone in their rooms to work on school packets, nap, read, whatever. I do it during that time. If you don't already have a quiet time, could you make it your oldest's "job" to plan activities to keep everyone busy in a bedroom? Or plan a project to make for you/dad/grandma? How about setting up a movie with popcorn etc to buy you an hour?