Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abbeygurl4

Which Spielvogel text?

I've read several posts about people using Jackson Spielvogel history textbooks for high school history spines, but which one? I looked on Amazon and there are quite a few. I was thinking about "Western Civilization: Brief Discovery Edition"

ISBN-13: 9780495093640.

Dd has loved Glencoe World History by Spielvogel. I think most people on here us a college textbook by the same author, but this is written for early high school. I think it is very well done and has lots of good activities in the chapters. It is very fair and balanced in it's approach as well.

I've read several posts about people using Jackson Spielvogel history textbooks for high school history spines, but which one? I looked on Amazon and there are quite a few. I was thinking about "Western Civilization: Brief Discovery Edition"

The Western Civilization text is a college level text that is frequently used for high school by members of this board. I'm not familiar with the various versions, such as the Brief Discovery edition that you mentioned. The Glencoe World History text, as mentioned by previous poster, is a high school level text. It is almost identical to the older Human Odyssey text by Spielvogel. Glencoe rearranged a few things and added some bells and whistles (more subtitles, National Geographic maps), etc. To make it more confusing, there is also a World History that Spielvogel co-authored with Duiker, also a college text.

For my 9th grader (not a history fan), the Glencoe World History has been a good fit. For an older student or one with an interest in history, the college level texts may be a better choice.

http://www.wadsworth.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&product_isbn_issn=0534646026&discipline_number=21

This is the resource site for the book we're using.

Actually, we're using an earlier edition, but the resources here mostly work for us (although there's been some rearrangement of chapters which means some of the quiz questions are on the wrong quiz, but it's not too bad).

My daughter is liking the college level text. She's a junior. She hasn't liked a lot of other texts we've tried.

http://www.wadsworth.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&product_isbn_issn=0534646026&discipline_number=21

This is the resource site for the book we're using.

Actually, we're using an earlier edition, but the resources here mostly work for us (although there's been some rearrangement of chapters which means some of the quiz questions are on the wrong quiz, but it's not too bad).

My daughter is liking the college level text. She's a junior. She hasn't liked a lot of other texts we've tried.

That is the site I've been using too. Some of it seems rather simplistic but other parts are good.

I've found several copies of the Western Civ book at a local big bookstore. You might also try Craig's List since it is a popular college text.

Oh, that site looks like it has some good stuff too.

ETA: Hmm, seems like there are a lot of broken links.

Here's a link for the updated textbook site: http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078799813/student_view0/

Same basic text but updated. FWIW, I like the 2003 text version better. From sections that I've previewed, the 2010 seems to try to summarize the information, condensing the narrative in favor of bells and whistles. The updated website activities, however, should still complement the older textbook version.

Since starting Omnibus 1, we have used Western Civilization Combined Volume, 6th edition. We are using it for further study with Omnibus 2.

I really enjoy reading SWB's The History of The World, Medieval World as well.

You can see an extensive preview of the 8th edition of Western Civilization(Advantage Edition, isbn 0495913278) on Google Books (This seems to be one volume for all of western civ.) I think this is another viewof the same book.

The 8th edition of the volume covering 1300 to present is here.

The volume covering ancient history to 1500 is here.