Menu

Contact dermatitis from jacuzzi chemicals

My husband has an itchy red rash all over his legs. He attributes rash to the chemicals in the hotel jacuzzi we used while out of town.

We have owned our own jacuzzi for 15 or so years without his suffering a rash although one of our children has had allergic reaction to bromide in our jacuzzi here at home.

Benadryl tablets and anti itch gel are not stopping his discomfort. I suggested he pick up OTC hydrocortisone creme tomorrow. Any other suggestions besides scratching himself furiously with a serrated edge steak knife?

He is not the type to take an oatmeal bath to relieve discomfort or go to doctor unless a limb is missing.

Guest JustRun

I have eczema, and it has only been very bad one time in my life. I was pregnant with our second child, and I bought maternity overalls and wore them before washing them - must have had a severe reaction to the dye. At the time, I didn't really know I had eczema, and I didn't know there was anything I could do about the occasional small rashes I had gotten in the past. Anyway, with those overalls, I broke out horribly from neck to ankles, and I thought I was going to scratch myself to infection. This went on for a couple weeks because I kept using things (scented lotions, etc.) that were continuing to irritate my skin, thinking I was helping myself.

The solution ended up being changing to Dove soap for sensitive skin and using Vanicream lotion (can be purchased at Walgreens, CVS, etc. by the pound). Once I went home from the doctor, washed all of the irritating soaps and lotions off of my skin and put the Vanicream on, I felt immediate relief, and my skin started clearing up almost as quickly. I haven't really had trouble since, with the exception of a few itchy patches here and there, usually in the winter. Initially, I also switched to hypoallergenic laundry detergent, but I can use most laundry detergents now without an issue. It's when my skin is already irritated by a chemical reaction that I have to be careful about soaps, lotions, and detergents.

Hope that helps some!