Menu

He fasts one day a week consistently, and I fast for a longer periods several times of the year. Mine vary, but, I guess I am consistent in the fact that it is a regular part of my life.

We fast because we feel it is healthy to allow the digestion to rest occasionally. It has also brought clarity of mind at needed times. I always feel great, sleep well, and have lots of energy when I fast. Not eating saves a lot of time, LOL!

On short fasts (1-3 days) we might do just water. On longer fasts, we usually do freshly extracted juices, and still use our "green powder" drinks due to the fact that they have no fiber, but do have lots of nutrients.

I happen to be on day 23 of a fast right now.

Here's a great website:

http://www.juicefeasting.com/

~Lisa

I didn't see that this has been addressed too recently so...

If you do fast, I'm curious as to the type of fast -- full fast versus partial, duration of fast, regularly or occasionally, etc. I'd also love to hear your whether you felt it was beneficial and how. Thanks!

Are you asking from a religious point of view or a health point of view?

I cannot do a full fast. I tried a moderate fast once along with dh and my inlaws. I can't remember what the diet was, but it was focused on health and cleansing rather than weight. I couldn't do even that. I was so very weak just doing that for two days. Dh's great grandmother died on the morning of our third day fasting (she wasn't fasting!) and the fast was forgotten. I have always had problems with low blood sugar. If I do not eat well enough or on time, I get very shaky and weak and can pass out. It's gotten better over time and I can eat less/go longer between meals, but I still do not feel safe doing a fast. I did a colon cleanse a while back, but I just had to try to eat better and take the extra stuff to clean me out rather than fasting. I did feel a lot better when I did that colon cleanse, but I'm not sure if it's because of their product or because I was eating better and counting how much water I was drinking to be sure to get the prescribed amount or more.

I have fasted in the past for religious purposes. The most I did was a three day sun up to sundown fast. I drank liquids and ate after dark. I did this on a montly basis for about six months. It was uplifting spiritually, but I think it messed up my metabolism. I don't KNOW that it did, but it sure seemed that way.

I'm thinking of doing a one day fast now for health reasons, but only thought about it last night. Great timing on the question.

I like to do a liquid fast in the spring and the fall. Green tea w/honey or water w/lemon and honey. Mentally, I have to be in a good place to do this, though, and I did not get to do it this spring. It usually will be either 24-48 hours, depending on how hungry I get while making everyone's food 3x a day! I've never been able to swing 3 days, though I think this would be more ideal. I do it, more or less, for a cleansing aspect, and it always works well for me.

I fast at times for spiritual reasons and at other times for health reasons. It's important for me to make this distinction. For me, a spiritual fast increases my understanding of my neediness of God, causes me to lean more fully upon Him, brings clarity, etc. I think fasting is harder for us as moms b/c we still have to cook for the rest of the family. We don't really have the luxury of pulling away from all meal prep, time at the table, and clean-up in order to sit before the Lord.

~Cindy

http://welcomingkatya.blog.com/

I've fasted once when there was a burden on my heart/soul so huge that I could focus on nothing else and needed to be in constant prayer (another such issue will come up this November...). I have never done a scheduled fast w/a church as none of the issues were a huge burden to me, and for me that is what fasting is all about (from a religious POV). Plus it seems whenever an organized fast is going I'm either gestating or nursing, lol.

I fast all kinds of fast and mostly for religious reasons. I do 24 hour water only, 6 or 12 hour water only, 21 day Daniel fasts, ect..... I know people who have done 40 day juice and 40 day water fasts. I would like to work my way to a 40 day juice fast don't know if I will but I would like to.

My fasting varies for awhile I was doing a day or two week. I was also doing the first few days of the month. It has been about a month since my last fast.

I didn't see that this has been addressed too recently so...

If you do fast, I'm curious as to the type of fast -- full fast versus partial, duration of fast, regularly or occasionally, etc. I'd also love to hear your whether you felt it was beneficial and how. Thanks!

I fast when I feel like I really need greater direction from The Lord. Of course everyday I need direction, but at times I lose my focus so I do a fast to really hear what He is speaking to me. I may fast for a day, a week, and it differs on what I fast. It may be tv, the computer, food, coffee...whatever will put my flesh under subjection. This may be deeper than what you were looking for, but these are some reasons why I fast.

I fast when I feel like I really need greater direction from The Lord. Of course everyday I need direction, but at times I lose my focus so I do a fast to really hear what He is speaking to me. I may fast for a day, a week, and it differs on what I fast. It may be tv, the computer, food, coffee...whatever will put my flesh under subjection. This may be deeper than what you were looking for, but these are some reasons why I fast.

Actually, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!

I fast for spiritual reasons; though the physical benefits are well documented. I fast to be able to discern more clearly the leading of the Lord. Generally sunup to sundown, basically one meal/day. I would like to do an extended fast but haven't been able to. You can fast different things...tv, computer, food, pop, coffee, anything you may love more than the Lord. I do sense the Lord's leadings and presence more clearly when i fast. I think that if you are fasting for spiritual reasons you should be spending extra time in the Word and in prayer for it to be of maximum benefit.