Menu

Is it me or do the boards seem less active since the changeover?

HappyGrace

I'm confused the old forum never had a spell checker. For me the squiggly red lines come from my internet browser. I only see them with firefox.

Hmmmm??? I'm on a MAC. SpellCheck always worked with Safari. And, now that I'm on firefox, it still works - everywhere but here.

I ken spel alll sortz of stuf wrong and it deozzn't care. But, only here. So, I'm thinking it's not a 'my browser ' or 'my computer' issue but a forum issue.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest submarines

I don't care for it either. The colors are killing my eyes and it took forever to log in after which I was greeted with an SQL error. I also miss the hover. I will give it a try for a few days but as of right now, I do not like it at all.

My colors are extremely pale, is this what people are complaining about? Or different people got different colors? My issue is that I can't use a smaller window, and therefore, can't use the board on split-screen. This pretty much kills the experience for me, a professional multi-tasker.

I do think in time we'll get used to the new format. It does seem more laborious to sign in and post; not just the load time which will probably get corrected. But there is loss of efficiency because you have to click and open a preview of every thread, scrolling through seems to be more time consuming and if you want to reply to a thread but haven't signed in, you lose your spot on that thread and have to go back and find it after signing in. On the previous board, you could sign in and then the reply box to that thread would immediately pop up. That made popping from lurk to comment mode much easier.

Still finding my way around otherwise. :auto:

I find it easier to just click the "remember me" spot at the log in to be logged in automatically. I also clicked the box to be anonymous because I do not like the feature that tells people who is reading each post at the moment. That way if you are just reading the posts and not responding it is very similar to lurking.

OK, if the FB button got discontinued. I was outraged myself over that and would not have wanted to consider staying here. I don't know if I care to stay here at this point, though, because this format here is way more business like than what I need from my fellowship here.

Did you follow the explanation, though, that nothing was different with the Share button? People were apparently sharing links abundantly on FB already (WTM can see that activity; what visitors click on to come here). The threads are already being shared on FB. All WTM did with the "Share" button was make it easier for people to put a link on their FB wall. Rather than copy/paste the link for the message board on FB, they could just click Share instead. They were doing it already anyway, it just made it easier. Hope that makes sense.

I find it easier to just click the "remember me" spot at the log in to be logged in automatically. I also clicked the box to be anonymous because I do not like the feature that tells people who is reading each post at the moment. That way if you are just reading the posts and not responding it is very similar to lurking.

Where is that button?

Nevermind. I figured it out--log out and then back in and it comes up as an option.

Yay me! Look at me overcoming the fear of new things! Go, me, go!

Still can't find my emoticons, and darn it all, I really want to use that nifty new ninja...

If you are using a mobile device or ipad type thing click the "Full Version" button at the bottom. The emoticons should be at the top of the text box where you type your replies. If you are using the "Full Version" or the "IP .Board" theme and you can't see the text formatting options and the emoticon button click the little triangle on the far right.

I think it is because you are on an Ipad and probably using the mobile version. At the bottom of the page is there a button you can click that says "Full Version"?

It is apparently an iPad problem, I'm using my pc now and I can see the toolbar. I've tried both the mobile and full version on the iPad and still can't see the toolbar. :confused1: I'm sure it will be fixed eventually, assuming it is not just me with this problem.

If you are using a mobile device or ipad type thing click the "Full Version" button at the bottom. The emoticons should be at the top of the text box where you type your replies. If you are using the "Full Version" or the "IP .Board" theme and you can't see the text formatting options and the emoticon button click the little triangle on the far right.

I've done this, and don't have the toolbar or the little triangle to access it. But it works fine from my pc, just can't see it on my iPad. I've tried full and mobile versions, ip board and ip board mobile. It's just not there.

oh I meant to say that Yes, I have definitely noticed less activitiy. Many of the threads stay on the front page for much, much longer than they used to before the upgrade.

I am positive I can adjust to all of the new features; it's really the loading issues that are preventing me from posting more frequently.

:iagree:

I will say, though, that while the new board looks sleeker and more modern, I am also having a bit of trouble adjusting to all of the white glare.

I would think that the combination of slow loading times and the glare issue may be a big reason for the lower level of activity here.

I haven't read all of the replies, but I think my issue is that when I first found these boards (I believe that was right around the time the last changeover took place) everything about the site was pretty intuitive. I found my way around quickly and didn't have any problems. Now I find myself just kind of looking around the site to figure out how the heck it works. I can't figure out how to do anything I used to do on the old board. It's frustrating.

Honestly, I would've been happy to pay a modest fee to stick with the old site. There are so many members here that just a small fee would bring in quite a nice sum to offset the cost of the forums. Kind of like clickschooling did...I think they charged $1 or something to get their non ad emails. I didn't mind the ads so much that I would pay for that, but I would've probably paid a few $$ a month for this.

Well I'm a die-hard, have loved being here for years, and can't fathom that a week of problems kills everything off. There's no where to go (that I know of) anyway. But why they decided to use the system SL used is beyond me. I haven't heard the whole story there, but seriously was a change to this software part of their demise? They had a lot of other stuff going on, yes, but was this software part of that change?

I can't even pinpoint why, novice that I am, but to me the boards have lost their homeyness, their small, easiness. It has turned into this production where you're part of a cog. (run the wheels of all this technology)

This is how I feel too. :crying:

I've already felt the loss of the depth of "conversations" from before....

My PM box was loaded up with PMs that I deleted years ago, including some from Molly who died. It made me cry to see those.

:grouphug: I was thinking about Molly not too long ago.

Not meaning to derail the conversation but are you two referring to unsinkable? I was thinking of her recently. Would one of you pm me to let me know?

Thanks.

I have been staying away because I don't have the time or patience for it right now. I COMPLETELY understand this process and am so thankful to still have this place to come to! But I regularly deal with internet issues because we live so rural and only can get Verizon Wireless. And there are sooooooo many issues with that that stress me out and right now, it just seems a little more of the same here. And I admit technology really stresses me out so I haven't been here a lot.

The kinks will be worked out and all will be back to normal. I KNOW IT!!!

Thanks SO much to those who are working so hard. I already see a drastic imorivement!

I'm not here much because of a few things...

1. The break weaned me some.

2. I don't like adjusting to new things. This feels unfamiliar and so (for a personality like mine) uncomfortable.

3. I don't like the "look." Way too much white space. I'm a very fast reader and so I am just constantly scrolling. I like more words per page, if that makes sense.

4. I miss the hover feature. You can glance and know if you want to commit the time it takes to click and load.

HOWEVER, this is still a free, amazing service. And so I am still very thankful!

Okay. I'll add my complaints:

1. too much wasted space

2. I don't like the popups

3. I don't care who "likes this" - reminds me of a high school popularity contest

4. slow, slow, slow

5. only 20 posts per page vs. 50 posts per page means having to click 'next' 2.5x more

6. distracting colors all around

7. do I have to subscribe to each thread now? I may have figured this out. There seems to be more options than ever...

8. I'm glad I'm not the only one with SQL and other odd errors

Sigh. It took a while to get used to the old board. It will take a while to get used to this board.

I do appreciate that it is free and without advertising.

I think it is just going to take some time to get the speed back up! Plus I am spending a lot of time learning and understanding what is and is not happening. I really miss the status updates though. Those were a blast last night!!!! :D I hope they are back soon!

Now that I know they have nothign to do with FB, I want them back!!! They were fun!

I think activity will pick up when the issues with the server get fixed and there isn't so much lag time or error messages.

I don't know what the pop-ups are... I haven't seen any...

It'll be an adjustment. I prefer the prior software, but I can see why changes may have needed to be made.

I lurk on another forum that uses this software and it's not that bad, so I figure I'll adapt in time.

I do want the hover feature back and I'd love to increase replies per page.

And Halcyon... status updates are back :)

I'm not sure the hover is really working. All I see when I hover is the same thing I can already read. No new info about what is in the thread. I haven't come as often because it is slow. Sometimes it times out and I can't even get on. I get frustrated and go to another forum. I hope this all works out. I have to admit that I really liked the old format. I visit another forum that used it and is very active (Not homeschooling forum) and I have always like it. I do love WTM and hope that all the bugs get fixed. I will more than likely stay if they do. I'll get used to the changes. I'm really hoping things speed up and that the hover gets fixed. I really do like that feature to see if I want to look further into a thread.

I am trying to give it some time, and get used to the changes. I am usually on my iPad and see no option for Full Version, so I know I'm missing things. I have no toolbar or emoticons. I'm sure it will take some time for all the bugs to get worked out.

I appreciate all the hard work I know people are putting in to make things work for us.

I understand this was to be an upgrade but I think you are going to see a large turn over of who the regular posters are, because the regular posters are seeing this as a downgrade. Those who only lurked will not care one way or the other, and new posters will not know better. But those of use that posted for years without an issue are not seeing this as a positive change at all.

Could you please define what you mean by "regular posters?" Because I consider myself a regular poster, and I consider many, MANY (far more than 200) others here to be regular posters, and I don't see this as a downgrade. I am also one who has posted for years, even before the last switchover. Since around 2005 or 2006. I see this as a very positive change. Please don't speak for all "regular" posters.

I think it's common to freak out with anything new.

Yup.

I think the forums will gain momentum after Thanksgiving.

I do, too. I'm fully confident they will, just as they did back in January 2008.

... but those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it right...in this case history proves this particular platform is nothing but trouble

This comment is ironic and insulting, considering that the forum owner is a professional historian.

I do think that it would have been wise for the owners to consult with their users before making major changes

They did. They asked for input and got some. Not much for the amount of registered users here, but some.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/428358-what-features-would-you-like-to-see/

And, I just want to say "ditto" to everything Patty Joanna said.

Can someone explain this to me? All I have is light blue on the edges and in some of the background areas, and then the white text areas. Where are all these distracting colors?

You are probably in "mobile" mode. If you go to the bottom left corner and click the "change theme" button, you can change to the regular view. There are lots of colors and tons more white space than you see in mobile mode.

ETA: I just realized that if you're in mobile mode, you don't have that button! Look at the very bottom center of your screen (scroll all the way down)... do you see where you can click for the full version?

Jackie

Thanks for the tip about the mobile version!! Now I can post from my phone. I have been on the full site all day and did not notice anything distracting. Same as the poster above, a little blue and white around the text. I do really like the mobile version!!!

As I understand it, the board had gotten big enough that we had to switch to this format to handle the bigger traffic load. The other software was not designed to handle as many users which is why the boards would overload in the spring.

No so. Vbulletin (the former forum software) is the best forum software available and can (and does) handle larger sites than this one. I'm scratching my head about what provoked a switch to IP.Board. Not an "upgrade" IMO.

Bill

It is very hard to read with all the white. I did read through this thread, but I had to take many breaks to do it.

YES! I was happy that the boards weren't so ridiculously slow, but I still can't read in all this unrelenting white space for very long. It is VERY HARD on the eyes. My time has been reduced.

Also the screen is very, very WIDE. Before, I just looked straight ahead and read. Now I almost have to turn left and right to read all the text.

The old format was much better.

Well, seeing who is exactly viewing the same thread and the same board bothers me. I notice many others are now here as guests. Do they get to post? I mean, I like seeing familiar names late in the evening, but I don't see very many names now. Just a lot of guests.

Honestly, I rather log out and just view content privately. I've only posted twice since the Changeover, although I don't post frequently to begin with.

And, yeah, so much white space hurts my eyes.

No so. Vbulletin (the former forum software) is the best forum software available and can (and does) handle larger sites than this one. I'm scratching my head about what provoked a switch to IP.Board. Not an "upgrade" IMO.

Bill

If this is the case, perhaps cost was a motivating factor in changing then... there must be a reason that several boards that i've been a part of have switched from Vbulletin (which I LOVE) to this format (which I do NOT love)....

But I must keep reminding myself that someone other than me is paying for this board... and I need to exercise appreciation for that. I've only been here for a short while, but already these forums have been a wealth of information for me.

It's that the white is so white. It gives some folks headaches.

Yes, and the rest is not coordinated, it's unattractive and distracting. I see at least five different colors of blue - not varying shades of the same tone but full on different colors. Plus three different greens! It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. The blinding white is the worst though because it strains the eyes.

I've been busy personally but when I have tried to come on the speed and errors are highly annoying. I'm not a big fan of the upgrade either, to be honest. It reminds me of the Mothering forum which I used to post to quite frequently, it never seemed to pick up after the last big upgrade either. I'm not a facebook fan either and if this is now just some tag along or such to facebook posts or something I'm not real keen on that either. I'm not exactly understanding what all that means as I'm not on there but I'll be highly annoyed if it is one of those things where I have to be on facebook to have the full functionality of the board or such.

MDC had lots of other things going on besides the most recent upgrade that accounted for a drop off. And, yes, I was a member of MDC back when they switched from the OLD old system -- which was similar to what was used here pre-2008 -- to vBulletin, yes, even way back when the idea of calling it "MDC" first came up. (What prompted the MDC to vBulletin in 2002 was a massive crash, in case you wondered -- everything was lost, and we all had to pick new names and start from scratch.) And I've been on other boards that stayed with vBulletin, and STILL started faltering after several years of robust interaction.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for those who think that switching from vBulletin to IP.Board means the endtimes are coming and are using that particular board as an example. I'm fascinated by the cyclical nature of complaints that the board isn't what it used to be (which happens on every board I've ever been on), and the general psychology of message boards, so I adore threads like this.

I'm scratching my head about what provoked a switch to IP.Board.

SWB posted about it this morning.

I'm fascinated by the cyclical nature of complaints that the board isn't what it used to be (which happens on every board I've ever been on), and the general psychology of message boards, so I adore threads like this.

:lol:

This is pretty much a repeat of what I have said in several other threads, but Colleen asked so I am repeating here (waving).

For me, the main problem is the lack of hybrid mode. This format (if I understand my more forum-savy son correctly) is meant to be navigated using the tagging and the searching functions. I'd rather let my own eyes do the scanning. I think this format will allow me to ask a question easily, but unless I can find some way to make things look like the OLD old board (like hybrid mode on the old board), I think it is going to be difficult for me to browse and chime in when I where I think I might be of help. This forum is like a long line of leaves rather than a nice tree. I usually am following only one branch of the tree, and with the old format, I could find that branch easily. I also could tell who was answering whom even without quoting (which takes up screen space). This format, at least the way mine is currently set, requires way, way too much scrolling and clicking. The other was more compact.

This is pretty much a repeat of what I have said in several other threads, but Colleen asked so I am repeating here (waving).

For me, the main problem is the lack of hybrid mode. This format (if I understand my more forum-savy son correctly) is meant to be navigated using the tagging and the searching functions. I'd rather let my own eyes do the scanning. I think this format will allow me to ask a question easily, but unless I can find some way to make things look like the OLD old board (like hybrid mode on the old board), I think it is going to be difficult for me to browse and chime in when I where I think I might be of help. This forum is like a long line of leaves rather than a nice tree. I usually am following only one branch of the tree, and with the old format, I could find that branch easily. I also could tell who was answering whom even without quoting (which takes up screen space). This format, at least the way mine is currently set, requires way, way too much scrolling and clicking. The other was more compact.

OTOH, I always found hybrid mode annoying, as I tended to feel like the "in" crowd was over having their own conversation and just occasionally smiling and waving at the rest of us, pretending to acknowledge us.