Menu

Our family is new to video game consoles - looking for advice on what to buy?

I thought we were looking for a Wii. But now there's Wii U and someone told me about xbox 360. Then there's xbox 360 with kinect and without. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. My 14 yo son wanted a wii to play games. That's all I know:). Any recommendations or advice?

Thanks!

I would get him to research the actual games he wants to play and see what consoles they are on. We have a wii and I personally find it has alot of games for younger kids and physical stuff, but limited for older kids/adults. The Xbox seems to have a better range. I don't use our Wii all that much because I find it hard to find games I actually want to play. Everything I fancy is for Xbox.

At 14 your son may be more interested in the Xbox or a Sony Playstation. The Wii U looks like it will have a wider range of games, and my own 13 yo would like one. The trouble I am having is getting my hands on one. They seem to be sold out nearly everywhere.

We have Wii (the old one) and Xbox. We bought the Xbox because we cut the cord from cable. We now just watch over the air, stream Netflix and Xbox i the only one who has an ESPN app - which is why my husband really bought it. We enjoy the Kinects games as you are the controller. It's not always perfect but gets you moving for sure. I think that Xbox is better for the older kids than the Wii but they are both fun.

I would go into a game store and see what actual games your DS wants to play... Some games are built across different consoles but playing the game game on a different console is a VASTLY different experience. The Xbox 360 I feel has the best variety - some times I wish we had a PS3 (it can also double as a Blu-Ray player, though those have come down a LONG way in price, but the PS3 is still relatively expensive) We also have a Wii, but we do not play it too often. It really depends on the type of games. I would go look at them all. When I go to the Wii section of the store I am always disappointed (but I am an adult) and prices on the Mario games do not ever go down (even six + years after release) so, being a person who only buys used/cheap games, I can not afford the actual games I really want to play.

I do not know anything about the Wii U, but I do know the Wii also has compatbility with Game cube games (these can often be found for very cheap used) and controllers. You can also stream Netflix on the Wii, too.

Honestly we're getting rid of our Wii, there are some Wii exclusive games, but with the Wii U coming that means Wii games will stop being made soon. We also enjoy the Xbox360 far more, it has far more games for all ages, it has almost all the games but the Mario and Zelda series that the Wii has. It has much nicer graphics, and it is just more fun. We also like the Kinect far more then the Wii motion system.

I wouldn't buy a Wii for a 14yo. He'll be bored to tears with it in no time.

Personally, I would choose either the XBox 360 or the PS3. If your ds says he wants a Wii, perhaps he means the new Wii-U, which might end up being a good system (my ds12 wasn't impressed with it when he tried it at an in-store event, but it's hard to tell from 15 minutes of playing!) The biggest problem with the Wii-U is that all of the games are around $60 each, and because the system is new, there aren't any used games available yet. If you buy an XBox or a PS3, you'll have the choice of a ton of new games, as well as CHEAP older games.

We're on a waiting list for the Wii-U Deluxe, but even if we can get one, I'm not sure my ds really wants it. I know one of his friends wants one, so if ds decides for sure that he's not interested, I'll let his mom have ours if it comes in -- she's a lot farther down on the waiting list than we are.

Definitely have your son research it a bit more. Is he specifically asking for a Wii? The only games we play on our Wii are Mario and Zelda games. Well, I also like Kirby's Epic Yarn but I doubt a 14 year old teen boy would like it. I agree with someone else that it seems like there are more games for very young people. The Wii-U is brand new. My ds16, who is a huge gaming buff, told me he read that it's not going to be as popular as the regular Wii, but surely they won't be releasing anymore regular Wii games now that the Wii-U system is out. I can say ds16 plays his Playstation 3 more than his Xbox 360. He plays mature rated games though, so I don't know much beyond those.

Well, I know I said that ds12 wasn't that interested in the Wii-U, but I just bought him one, anyway. :blush:

I didn't think it would be an issue, because I was sure we wouldn't be able to find one anywhere, but a friend was able to get one for us, so I caved on the Deluxe system.

Now I have to shop for some games. (And I was foolishly thinking I was nearly done Christmas shopping. Go figure.)