Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtherJohn

How facebook works with the Well-Trained Mind Community

It was a joke :gnorsi:

Iol I am sure if I was American I would have gotten it lol

I blocked all the crazies in my life from seeing my FB page, including close relatives. I'm not sure why more people don't do that. The only people allowed to see my FB page are people who have some kind of basic respect for me.

Not necessarily. Let's say I have a friend from here that linked it and HER settings are such that friends of friends can comment. Then my friends can comment and click the link. Once I commented on a status on a friend's page. She has her settings that friends fo friends could do the same. Well my cousin replied to the same status on my friend's page, this is not a mutual friend mind you. Then my mom got curious as to what both me and my cousin were commenting on, and clocked over seeing my friend's whole page. I think get a phone call from my mom telling me my friend is a nutcase, and I should block her and unfriend her and she better not ever hear that my kids are playing with her's blah blah blah. My friend wasa former boss, we have been friends for 9 years, my mom has met her in person, but online she is an intactivist. That was enough to send her into a tizzy. Then she gets posting on my cousin's page about her commenting on the post and on it went and became a huge uproar in the family.

None of this stuff was on *my* fb page. It all happened because I commented on someone else's page. Allowing friend's of friend's means even without you actively linking it it still can end up back to you. Maybe it is just because of who my family is. But I would rather not have that issue at all.

But, I could link a thread from here *now* and I could before the change. This has to do with how you interact on Facebook. I don't comment on people's pages (especially on controversial issues) if they have their pages too open. I don't think I even have any friends who have their pages set to public.

Not necessarily. Let's say I have a friend from here that linked it and HER settings are such that friends of friends can comment. Then my friends can comment and click the link. Once I commented on a status on a friend's page. She has her settings that friends fo friends could do the same. Well my cousin replied to the same status on my friend's page, this is not a mutual friend mind you. Then my mom got curious as to what both me and my cousin were commenting on, and clocked over seeing my friend's whole page. I think get a phone call from my mom telling me my friend is a nutcase, and I should block her and unfriend her and she better not ever hear that my kids are playing with her's blah blah blah. My friend wasa former boss, we have been friends for 9 years, my mom has met her in person, but online she is an intactivist. That was enough to send her into a tizzy. Then she gets posting on my cousin's page about her commenting on the post and on it went and became a huge uproar in the family.

None of this stuff was on *my* fb page. It all happened because I commented on someone else's page. Allowing friend's of friend's means even without you actively linking it it still can end up back to you. Maybe it is just because of who my family is. But I would rather not have that issue at all.

Yeah, but it has always been possible for that to happen. The share button only takes the copy/paste step out of the process. That is a fb issue not a Hive issue.

Yeah, but it has always been possible for that to happen. The share button only takes the copy/paste step out of the process. That is a fb issue not a Hive issue.

But, I could link a thread from here *now* and I could before the change. This has to do with how you interact on Facebook. I don't comment on people's pages (especially on controversial issues) if they have their pages too open. I don't think I even have any friends who have their pages set to public.

True. but that does not mean I want to roll the red carpet out for my family. I keep my fb locked down on tight security. My friend's pages are not set to public they are often set to friend's of friend's though. So step down from public. But whatever. You all don't care it is connected, many others including myself do. PHP will do what it is going to do with the hive and I will chose whether or not to continue posting here based on that. As will many others. I am sure PHP won't care if they lose many regulars since the purpose was to bring in new blood anyway

While I understand you want to give the linking a solid go SWB I can tell you right now, the majority of the regular posters do not want it.

That is an assumption.

We would determine the facts before making a decision.

So how will people on FB know you are "swellmomma" on these boards? What infomation do you use to allow yourself to be identified?

Kind of off topic, but how do you know if your friends' fb pages are "too open"? I didn't know it was possible to see someone's privacy settings. Thanks!

Kind of off topic, but how do you know if your friends' fb pages are "too open"? I didn't know it was possible to see someone's privacy settings. Thanks!

You don't know if they are or not until you realize people from your friend's list are commenting on their profile though they are not friends. So basically not until it is too late, unless you actively ask each friend what their privacy settings are.

If you have a spouse or sibling that is not mutual friends you can use there account to look up your friends and see how much of their profile is visible.

I don't have time to read though all of the different threads to figure this out on my own, so can someone (John??) explain a couple of things?

First, the share button that was on here. How was that share button any different than if I found a great thread about a topic, and then chose to copy and paste the link to my FB wall? It would only be shared to my FB friends---who most likley do not know anyone posting on this board. Am I missing something? Anyone, at any time could do this...they would just have to copy and past the link, instead of hitting a single button. Am I misunderstanding this? If not, I don't really see the big deal with the Share button.

Next, is the Like This button. This is the one that I am actually concerned about. I understand that nothing online is private, and that if someone is really motivated they could probably find me online with very little work. That being said, I do like to keep certain areas a bit separated--and not encourage someone to come look for my posts, KWIM? So, my main concern is if I click the LIke This button...is that going to show up on my FB wall, or is that only for this board? If it is only for people on this forum to see, I actually think it is a great idea, and will use it a lot. If it will be posted for my FB friends and family to see where I spend my online time...I will not be using it at all.

Ok, I'm trying to understand this. Were *your* settings such that you had the "allow friends of friends" thing OFF? When I look at it on FB, it *looks* like it's saying no to friends of friends only affects your posts on your page. So what it doesn't affect is what you post on someone else's page? So then what you did was comment on someone else's page, which others could then see and spread around?

I get the screwiest things on my facebook. Like I'll get the birthday party posts for some aunt suzy I don't even know who was being commented on my someone who is on my friends list. It's totally absurd and I have no idea why the stuff appears. I now have that friends of friends thing unchecked, but I'm not sure what it actually affects. Before I left it checked (when I signed up a couple years ago to FB), because I thought it was less stodgy and unfriendly. It's all incomprehensible to me though. I really don't care what brand of toilet paper you use or who's having a birthday or anything else. If I didn't FB for a couple private groups (photog, blah blah), I'd ditch it entirely.

True. but that does not mean I want to roll the red carpet out for my family. I keep my fb locked down on tight security. My friend's pages are not set to public they are often set to friend's of friend's though. So step down from public. But whatever. You all don't care it is connected, many others including myself do.

I didn't say that I don't care. What I've said is that I don't understand what anyone thinks has actually *changed*. Is it just the box on the forum that shows people who like PHP (which you could see on FB, but not here before)? Which, I grant you, some people have the same/similar names or the same avatars/pics for both which makes them more identifiable. But, I only see people from my friends list. What do other people see there? That is the only real change that I can see.

{eta: What I'm getting at is this: is there an issue that is not easily solved by unliking PHP on FB and/or changing your pic and/or upping your privacy settings? Because it seems like much ado about nothing, if you can control this issue yourself.}

So how will people on FB know you are "swellmomma" on these boards? What infomation do you use to allow yourself to be identified?

And this is why a name change window might be a good idea. Some people do use their real names or names very similar to their own.

Logout of FB. What can you see?

This. Ugh. Nothing is truly "private" on the internet. We do our best, we want community, but it is out there. For those of us with FB accounts it was already being tracked over here. I really hope with have not "cut off our nose to spite or face" with this emotive response. Maybe I am just off my rocker, but these forums are wonderful tool, provided for free, Susan has no obligation to consult us on anything.

While this is true, the forums have been a huge help in growing Peace Hill Press. PHP depends on this community as much as we do for different reasons, so it would be foolish to damage or destroy the best marketing tool they have in order to attempt to reach a wider audience. Consulting the heaviest users makes good business sense.

I don't have time to read though all of the different threads to figure this out on my own, so can someone (John??) explain a couple of things?

First, the share button that was on here. How was that share button any different than if I found a great thread about a topic, and then chose to copy and paste the link to my FB wall? It would only be shared to my FB friends---who most likley do not know anyone posting on this board. Am I missing something? Anyone, at any time could do this...they would just have to copy and past the link, instead of hitting a single button. Am I misunderstanding this? If not, I don't really see the big deal with the Share button.

Next, is the Like This button. This is the one that I am actually concerned about. I understand that nothing online is private, and that if someone is really motivated they could probably find me online with very little work. That being said, I do like to keep certain areas a bit separated--and not encourage someone to come look for my posts, KWIM? So, my main concern is if I click the LIke This button...is that going to show up on my FB wall, or is that only for this board? If it is only for people on this forum to see, I actually think it is a great idea, and will use it a lot. If it will be posted for my FB friends and family to see where I spend my online time...I will not be using it at all.

We already solved this. SWB came in and answered that the "like" button here is distinct from the "like with a thumbs-up" feature of FB and that they don't connect. So you can like all you want here.

But, the Facebook page has always operated like that. You have always been able to see other people who like the pages you like on Facebook whether it's PHP, Target, Seventh Generation, the US Army and other public pages. That has nothing to do with the new forum setup. If I go to the PHP Facebook page and click "likes," they are all people who are on my Facebook. But, if I am logged out of Facebook, then they are random people.

Exactly.

That said, maybe it's a good thing that people are being forced to understand how public the internet is. WTM has been 100% public for a long, long time. Anyone could link a thread to FB easily, already. And if I don't want anyone to see my FB profile or get any info about me, I should have fixed my settings a long time ago. The only one responsible for my internet safety and privacy is me.

I don't know why people don't get this. It's not new.

It is not the responsibility of WTM forum to educate facebook users about facebook privacy and interface settings, nor is it their responsibility to manage and mitigate sharing or oversharing of members' personal information posts on this forum or anywhere else on the internet.

The forum owners, moderators, and technical support staff should not be recipients of complaints that seem to primarily and rightfully stem from members' frustrations with facebook's lack of full prompt disclosure about changes in privacy settings.

:hurray:

Ok, let me ask this another way. If I make a post (sharing a WTM board thread or just a post in general) on the main page of my FB thing, then my "friends" can see it. If a friend of mine decides to comment on that thread and their settings happen to be such that they allow friends of friends, then at that point, those 2nd layer friends can now see my original post? Just the friend post and not mine?

What a screwy mess.

Agreed. It's the exact same thing.

That's only for this board; it has nothing to do with Facebook.

Ok, I'm trying to understand this. Were *your* settings such that you had the "allow friends of friends" thing OFF? When I look at it on FB, it *looks* like it's saying no to friends of friends only affects your posts on your page. So what it doesn't affect is what you post on someone else's page? So then what you did was comment on someone else's page, which others could then see and spread around?

So, Bob has his account set on FoF while Mary Beth has her account set on Friends only. If Mary Beth posts on Bob's wall, then Mary Beth's family can see it and comment on it too. If Bob's account was set to Friends only, then Mary Beth's family would neither be able to see nor comment on his wall posts. Does that make sense?

Mrs. Mungo has mentioned several times that it might help for PHP to allow a name change window for everybody who thought they were more private here than they are.

I'm sure that would be a massive undertaking, staff and time-wise (plus a huge pain in the neck) but Susan, would you consider it? On the condition that everyone understands it won't be instant?

Now, my two cents: I would consider a $3 fee reasonable for username changes. I don't think PHP *owes* name changes as a courtesy because the UA has always spelled out how important it is to be careful with usernames and how it's not a priority for PHP to change 'em. (tosses lit dynamite into the conversation, just trying to help)

Ok, let me ask this another way. If I make a post (sharing a WTM board thread or just a post in general) on the main page of my FB thing, then my "friends" can see it. If a friend of mine decides to comment on that thread and their settings happen to be such that they allow friends of friends, then at that point, those 2nd layer friends can now see my original post? Just the friend post and not mine?

What a screwy mess.

No because the original post is on *your* wall. It has to do with the security settings of the wall involved. PHP's wall is public. When people comment on PHP's status, everyone can see it whether they "like" PHP or not.

I know this will probably get buried in this thread, but I wanted to put it out there. I really like almost all the changes, but I thinkk what is the most disorienting for people is actually seeing FB profile pics on the main page. It is creating a mental connection, even if that connection isn't really there.

What if we got rid of the PHP "people who have liked it" widget on the main page, but still had the ability to like threads on FB? We can still promote, but we loose the perceived link to people's actual FB accounts.

I get the screwiest things on my facebook. Like I'll get the birthday party posts for some aunt suzy I don't even know who was being commented on my someone who is on my friends list. It's totally absurd and I have no idea why the stuff appears. I now have that friends of friends thing unchecked, but I'm not sure what it actually affects. Before I left it checked (when I signed up a couple years ago to FB), because I thought it was less stodgy and unfriendly. It's all incomprehensible to me though. I really don't care what brand of toilet paper you use or who's having a birthday or anything else. If I didn't FB for a couple private groups (photog, blah blah), I'd ditch it entirely.

Yes. *MY* page is friends only and even within that framework I have certain people from my friend's list blocked from seeing what I post. But in the instance I posted above I commented on a friend's page, and *her* settings were friends of friends so everyone on my friends list was then able to go to her page, post, link, see everything etc. And while normally that is just annoying it can be problematic, if the majority of your fb friends are from the hive. So 1 posts something from here for example and their fb settings are such that their page is open to friend's of friends, and I comment on their page, suddenly my entire friends list can access their page, that link and through that this page. My family is generally lazy when it comes to trying to fnd my online presence, yes they could do it now but they don't try via google etc. But if the link is right there, it opens it right up. The same with my ex husband, while what I post here can be seen by him and is no different than what I have told him to his face, he does not know I am here. Now if it is linked to a friend and I comment that opens up to him then having the doors open to him to walk right in.

I understand that not everyone has an issue with it. Some people rarely post anything in either place so no big deal but for some of us the connection is a big deal. Yes someone could copy and paste onto their fb in the past, but did they bother? Unless it was in the private group I can't think of a single time that happened. With no share button there it was like it didn't occur to people to do that. What happened on the hive stayed on the hive. With a share button it opens that up in a way that most would not have considered kwim.

Mrs. Mungo has mentioned several times that it might help for PHP to allow a name change window for everybody who thought they were more private here than they are.

I'm sure that would be a massive undertaking, staff and time-wise (plus a huge pain in the neck) but Susan, would you consider it? On the condition that everyone understands it won't be instant?

Now, my two cents: I would consider a $3 fee reasonable for username changes. I don't think PHP *owes* name changes as a courtesy because the UA has always spelled out how important it is to be careful with usernames and how it's not a priority for PHP to change 'em. (tosses lit dynamite into the conversation, just trying to help)

I think this is a good idea. Other boards I've been on have charged for things like name changes. One particular board did fundraising by charging for personalized titles. You could change *other people's* titles (you know where it says worker bee, beekeeping professor, etc) for a fee (as long as the new titles were nothing too bad and it stayed all in good fun).

What a screwy mess.

If YOUR page does not allow friends of friends it is not a problem, you can link without outsiders stepping in. But if your friend linked it (or shared it from your page) she is now opening it up to everyone on her list and if SHE has it set to friends of friends, then all of their friends too and so on. It goes from a share with just your friends to a whole new level.

I know this will probably get buried in this thread, but I wanted to put it out there. I really like almost all the changes, but I thinkk what is the most disorienting for people is actually seeing FB profile pics on the main page. It is creating a mental connection, even if that connection isn't really there.

What if we got rid of the PHP "people who have liked it" widget on the main page, but still had the ability to like threads on FB? We can still promote, but we loose the perceived link to people's actual FB accounts.

I actually don't see the widget. I don't know if it's because I'm not linked with facebook or because of how I have my privacy at facebook. I see the heading, but not the photos. Is that true for others?

I'm new to the forum, but I did actually change my username today in the edit profile section and if I'm not mistaken, I believe it said I could do it a few times every thirty days if needed. If I can keep my identity private on here, I don't understand the big fuss about someone finding out what I post on FB.

I actually don't see the widget. I don't know if it's because I'm not linked with facebook or because of how I have my privacy at facebook. I see the heading, but not the photos. Is that true for others?

I haven't linked my account with FB. I have my FB settings locked down. I can see pics of people from my friend list.

If YOUR page does not allow friends of friends it is not a problem, you can link without outsiders stepping in. But if your friend linked it (or shared it from your page) she is now opening it up to everyone on her list and if SHE has it set to friends of friends, then all of their friends too and so on. It goes from a share with just your friends to a whole new level.

Thank you for those two posts! I think I'm finally getting it, whew! Makes me want to go through my "friends" list frankly. Of course I don't even post on FB.

I think it's your FB settings. After I axed the platform thing on FB, the pictures disappeared too. If I'm logged into FB, then the WTM board has a box there, sometimes with names, sometimes just saying to enable platform junk if I wanna play. Not logged in, nothing.

I'm new to the forum, but I did actually change my username today in the edit profile section and if I'm not mistaken, I believe it said I could do it a few times every thirty days if needed. If I can keep my identity private on here, I don't understand the big fuss about someone finding out what I post on FB.

This is a bit off topic, but this thread is making me realize how little I know, even though I am careful to keep my FB settings at the highest level of privacy. I was just discussing this issue with my husband and he reiterated what SWB said about nothing being private on the Internet. My dh uses a company laptop. He has little control over what programs are on it. When he uses his gmail account, he can tell it is being scanned because advertising pops up that is in relation to the email's content. He gave the example of mentioning that he had not slept well on his business trip and a sleep aid popped up. Perhaps when the forum settles down a bit, we can have a discussion about what all gets shared where and how to avoid some of the tracking. Before I got my new compduter completely set up, I had a ton of ads for The Great Courses. Ihave no idea why. :tongue_smilie:

Well, we can certainly give it a try! (Moving the widget, that is. Jury's still way out on the "like on FB" feature.) I asked John to remove the widget and re-install the status comments (which I think are fun). Let's see if the confusion persists...

I really don't think you have your pulse on this community's feelings based on this post. There will be no valuable content to search if people leave or refrain from posting. People coming in due to targeted Google searches of content is very different than the drama social media has the potential to unleash.

Bill

ITA with Bill. But I'm afraid to "like" his post becuase I DON'T WANT my activity here to show up there, EVER.

This is a screenshot of the badge is on the forum homepage.

PlSaG.png

One of the pictures on that badge is somebody that I know IRL, although I do not know her very well. Facebook chose to show me that person, because they know that we know each other, and it gives preference to displaying pictures of your friends and/or your friends' friends. The fact that it tries to link us together is not an accident at all. I actually already knew that she's a member here, but if I didn't, I would now. Finding her posts would not be all that difficult.

This is a concern of mine...but for the life of me, I can't figure out how you would KNOW that someone who "Likes" PHP on Facebook is AUTOMATICALLY going to be on these forums? I haven't had nearly enough coffee today, so it could be me being a bit slow today...

This has already been said but again the board has never been private. I've lurked here for quite some time without ever making an account. Don't like PHP on facebook or share any threads there. I don't think it's a big deal.. at all. I looked at PHP facebook page without ever liking them, I could see the people who did like it but I have no idea who they are here (well except a few that had the same picture or revealed their WTM board name on the public page!!). Definitely shouldn't be the mods problem - we get to use this resource for FREE!! I think everyone needs to remember that.

I haven't linked my account with FB. I have my FB settings locked down. I can see pics of people from my friend list.

Interesting, I see no one, yet many of my friends "like" PHP

This is a free service provided to y'all, folks! PHP and SWB can do whatever they please with this forum - it is on their dime!!! And for those of you threatening a "mass exodus"...there are approximately 38,720 registered users on this forum. If 20 of you leave, that is only a miniscule percentage of the overall users on this forum. The only thing missing would be SWB's headache.

Interesting, I see no one, yet many of my friends "like" PHP

When I installed the Chrome FB website blocker thingy, I couldn't see it anymore either. :)

Hm, trying to multiquote, but it keeps clearing it. So, to answer random people:

Liking something here will not like it on your Facebook. One has nothing to do with the other.

I don't think you could connect someone's FB profile to their username unless they use the same name, pic, something identifiable.

mommy milkies mentioned ddddc, that=Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, for those of you who have not played such forum games before. ;)

When I installed the Chrome FB website blocker thingy, I couldn't see it anymore either. :)

Ah, that must be it, thank you.

I don't know that you can see their overall settings, but you can see who is able to see individual updates. Look at the bottom of an update, next to the date. There will be a little icon (a globe, people or a machine cog). If you hover over that, you can see if the update went to everyon (the globe), friends or friends of friends (the people) or a custom setting (the cog).

Well, we can certainly give it a try! (Moving the widget, that is. Jury's still way out on the "like on FB" feature.) I asked John to remove the widget and re-install the status comments (which I think are fun). Let's see if the confusion persists...

I would like this status if I could! Removing the widget fixes the concern for me!

This is a free service provided to y'all, folks! PHP and SWB can do whatever they please with this forum - it is on their dime!!! And for those of you threatening a "mass exodus"...there are approximately 38,720 registered users on this forum. If 20 of you leave, that is only a miniscule percentage of the overall users on this forum. The only thing missing would be SWB's headache.

No one is threatening mass exodus. They are saying *They* will not return, they can not control everyone else. But it is also not just 1 person saying that, and there is many already not posting since the change saying that elsewhere. Many of us have already said we feel like we are now cogs in a machine rather than valued members like we used to, I don't think that those that chose to leave really care if over all it is a small amount compared to the over all membership. Out of those 38thousand members, maybe 200 are regular posters, taking out 20 of them will make a difference make no doubt about it, 38thousand is a great number but the vast majority are lurkers or only rare posters

Yes. *MY* page is friends only and even within that framework I have certain people from my friend's list blocked from seeing what I post. But in the instance I posted above I commented on a friend's page, and *her* settings were friends of friends so everyone on my friends list was then able to go to her page, post, link, see everything etc. And while normally that is just annoying it can be problematic, if the majority of your fb friends are from the hive. So 1 posts something from here for example and their fb settings are such that their page is open to friend's of friends, and I comment on their page, suddenly my entire friends list can access their page, that link and through that this page. My family is generally lazy when it comes to trying to fnd my online presence, yes they could do it now but they don't try via google etc. But if the link is right there, it opens it right up. The same with my ex husband, while what I post here can be seen by him and is no different than what I have told him to his face, he does not know I am here. Now if it is linked to a friend and I comment that opens up to him then having the doors open to him to walk right in.

I understand that not everyone has an issue with it. Some people rarely post anything in either place so no big deal but for some of us the connection is a big deal. Yes someone could copy and paste onto their fb in the past, but did they bother? Unless it was in the private group I can't think of a single time that happened. With no share button there it was like it didn't occur to people to do that. What happened on the hive stayed on the hive. With a share button it opens that up in a way that most would not have considered kwim.

All of your FB drama makes my head spin. :willy_nilly: I don't mean this to be snarky at.all.....because you are a swell momma ;) .....but maybe you should get off FB. Sounds like anything you say there (or possibly here) can and will be used against you by your family. If it were me...it wouldn't be worth it.